Metroporol being eliminated

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctyguy

My cardio told me the other day at my annual that I can reduce my Metroporol from 50mg to 25mg and assuming I feel no different that I do right now that I can stop taking it all together 6 weeks later.

So my question is, how many who have had an AVR have stopped taking a beta-blocker ? How common is it to have the eliminated ? Im happy that my cardiologist thinks I don't need it but I'd like to hear what others think as well.

It sounds like you're doing really well.
Last year when I was still in rehab, my blood pressure and heart rate were quite low, so I asked about need for bp meds. My cardiologist told me the beta blocker after AVR was standard to protect the aorta. Mine is very slightly enlarged (3.1).
I'm only taking 2.5 mg of the Zebeta generic, but also have an evening dose of 20mg lisinopril, an ace inhibitor.
How is your blood pressure?

I started taking it on the third day after my surgery on September 2nd, 2009. I was on 25 mgs of Coreg twice a day. After a month, it was reduced to half the amount twice a day; and then slowly reduced until it was completely stopped by February 16th; i.e. six monhs after surgery.

I took 25mg for two months after surgery then reduced the dose for a week until I stopped taking it. I was on amidarone too for two months after surgery because I had afib for 2 days right after surgery.
I have been off both now for almost 2 months and I immediately started sleeping better. Now I am on an aspirin a day and 5mg of coumadin.
It sounds like you are doing well if the doctor says you don't need it. I was nervous about going off the beta blocker but (touch wood) I just continue to feel better every week,

Dale

There are warnings about stopping Beta Blockers abruptly.

The Best way to go about it is exactly as your Cardio recommended, cut the dose in half for a period of time (my cardio uses 2 week intervals) and see what happens.

Then cut that dose in half for another equal period of time.

If at any time your arrhythmias return, just go back to the last dose that 'worked for you'.

This is the Best Way to minimize side effects and yet have control of unwanted arrhythmias.

'AL Capshaw'

Scott,
I was put on what my Internist said was an unusually high dose of Metoprolol (112.5mg twice a day) by the doctor who discharged me from hospital. My resting heart rate dropped to the low forties so, at six weeks post op under the direction of my Internist I gradually dropped the dose, holding steady at each drop for 5 days for the first dose reductions at the high end where the % change was relatively small, and then for 10 days at each step as we got closer to the lower doses, until I was completely weaned 2.5 months after surgery. At no time did I feel I was in A-Fib and my resting heart rate has now risen to mid to high fifties. I do notice that my blood pressure is higher (resting 125/70) than before surgery (110/60)even though I am taking 10mg Ramipril/day. During Cardio Rehab they have taken my BP during exercise and it has gotten up to 180/50 or even a bit higher, so I will be asking my Doc whether I need a bigger dose of Ramipril or whether I should go back on the BB at some more normal dose level to keep the exercise BP a bit lower.
Good luck.
Cameron

I wish. After my stress test at three months postm which went very well, my doctor upped my dose from 125mg/day to 200. It felt like the life was being sucked out of me. I took myself back to 125 and am feeling pretty good but would love to drop further and see how I feel.

I think my cardio has me on a high dose as a govenor on me because he is afraid I will over exert myself.

He is probably right.

I wish. After my stress test at three months postm which went very well, my doctor upped my dose from 125mg/day to 200. It felt like the life was being sucked out of me. I took myself back to 125 and am feeling pretty good but would love to drop further and see how I feel.

I think my cardio has me on a high dose as a govenor on me because he is afraid I will over exert myself.

He is probably right.

I was on 100 before surgery, and they knocked it down to 50 post. I'm also off the Hyzaar entirely (whoopee! there goes that $40 copay). I'm not sure if I'll ever be entirely off the beta blocker, but cutting the dose in half was really good news--and my BP has been good ever since (in hospital, it actually got too low a couple of times right after surgery).

My surgeon believes lower pressures will prolong the life of my valves and wants me to take 12.5 everyday forever.

Latest posts

Back