Met with my surgeon today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I finally met with my surgeon today; Dr. David Moore. He is affiliated with the Baylor Heart Hospital in Plano, TX.

He seems to understand the issues with radiation induced heart disease and that made me more comfortable and he helped calm my wife down quite a bit as well.

The PA at my primary care physician really upset her yesterday by spouting off how weak my heart is and I could drop dead at any moment. The PA fixated on my cath report and the EF of 30%. Fortunately, we got her out of there and saw the physician and he made it sound less dire especially if I keep on my meds.

But, Dr. Moore did a good job of explaining his feelings about the surgery and how good the odds looks. He wants to concentrate on the aortic valve and if things go well with that he may do a CABG. He said if he has to fight the valve then he will skip the CABG because I have collaterals feeding the heart. That area of my heart was pretty damaged from my MI in 1996 and it may not need anything but the collaterals anyway.

I asked him about the mitral valve and pericardium and he said he would look at those, but the aortic valve is the main thing to accomplish. He said he only uses ON-X valves for mechanical replacements so I am comfortable with that.

The hold up to setting a firm date is my teeth (I am horrible and only see a dentist when I am made to). Dr. Moore wants me to get my broken tooth taken care of and probably I will need some gum work. But, Dr. Moore said once I get that cleaned up we can schedule surgery for the following week. I figured I wouldn't be able to escape a little pain before the surgery, somebody always wants to stick a needle in me.:rolleyes:

I do have one question; is anyone aware of any issues with nitrous oxide and beta blockers? I am going to look at a couple of the medical reference sites, but I thought I would throw that out here.

Getting you Dental issues taken care of Before Surgery is very important. Bacteria from the mouth getting into the blood stream is a common cause of Bacterial Endocarditis which can affect the heart.

Be sure to ask your Dentist NOT to use anything with epinepherine in it. Carbocaine is OK. Others are offered with and without epinepherine.

I found it interesting that your Surgeon only uses On-X mechanical valves. I can understand his preference but would be interested in his reasons.

'AL C'

It sounds like your surgeon has put a lot of thought into your special situation--that must be a good feeling for you and your wife.

I think that PA was way out of line. If one of you has the energy now, a talk with your primary physician may be a good idea.

Latest posts

Back