Memory loss?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cris N said:
Any history of being on any of the statin family of medicines? (Lipitor, Zocor & the like). One of the possible side effects is amnesia.

Cris
YES!
I was alternating on both Lipitor/Zocor post op for better part of 4 years

Hi Everyone,

I do have some information regarding this topic.

It appears to be true that Memory Loss can occur from use of the Heat / Lung by-pass machine.

I have had extensive tests done on this personally this past year, and my doctors agree that memory loss is indeed a possiblity for me due to my surgery.

Many studies were conducted by Duke Universty. You can go to their web site and do a search on memory loss and the heart/lung machiine.

Also, this topic was a feature on ABC a few years back.

The new England Journal of Medicine has also published the following article.

The New England Journal of Medicine -- February 8, 2001 -- Vol. 344, No. 6

Longitudinal Assessment of Neurocognitive Function after Coronary-Artery Bypass Surgery
Mark F. Newman, Jerry L. Kirchner, Barbara Phillips-Bute, Vincent Gaver, Hilary Grocott, Robert H. Jones, Daniel B. Mark, Joseph G. Reves, James A. Blumenthal, for the Neurological Outcome Research Group and the Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Research Endeavors Investigators

Abstract
Background. Cognitive decline complicates early recovery after coronary-artery bypass grafting (CABG) and may be evident in as many as three quarters of patients at the time of discharge from the hospital and a third of patients after six months. We sought to determine the course of cognitive change during the five years after CABG and the effect of perioperative decline on long-term cognitive function.
Methods. In 261 patients who underwent CABG, neurocognitive tests were performed preoperatively (at base line), before discharge, and six weeks, six months, and five years after CABG surgery. Decline in postoperative function was defined as a drop of 1 SD or more in the scores on tests of any one of four domains of cognitive function. (A reduction of 1 SD represents a decline in function of approximately 20 percent.) Overall neurocognitive status was assessed with a composite cognitive index score representing the sum of the scores for the individual domains. Factors predicting long-term cognitive decline were determined by multivariable logistic and linear regression.
Results. Among the patients studied, the incidence of cognitive decline was 53 percent at discharge, 36 percent at six weeks, 24 percent at six months, and 42 percent at five years. We investigated predictors of cognitive decline at five years and found that cognitive function at discharge was a significant predictor of long-term function (P<0.001).
Conclusions. These results confirm the relatively high prevalence and persistence of cognitive decline after CABG and suggest a pattern of early improvement followed by a later decline that is predicted by the presence of early postoperative cognitive decline. Interventions to prevent or reduce short- and long-term cognitive decline after cardiac surgery are warranted. (N Engl J Med 2001;344:395-402.)
Source Information
From the Department of Anesthesiology (M.F.N., J.L.K., B.P.-B., V.G., H.G., J.G.R.), the Department of Surgery (R.H.J.), the Division of Cardiology (D.B.M.), and the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science (J.A.B.), Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C. Address reprint requests to Dr. Newman at the Division of Cardiothoracic Anesthesia, Box 3094, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, or at [email protected].
The members of the study groups are listed in the Appendix.
Appendix
The members of the Neurologic Outcome Research Group and the Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Research Endeavors Investigators of the Duke Heart Center were as follows: Director: M. Newman; Codirector: J. Blumenthal; Anesthesiology: F. Clements, N. de Bruijn, K. Grichnik, H. Grocott, S. Hill, A. Hilton, J. Mathew, J. Reves, D. Schwinn, M. Stafford Smith, A. Grigore, M. Gamoso, G. Mackensen, R. Panten, T. Stanley, L. Ti, J. Kirchner, A. Butler, V. Gaver, W. Cohen, B. Funk, M. Tirronen, W. White, and B. Phillips-Bute; Behavioral Medicine: J. Blumenthal, M. Babyak, and P. Khatri; Neurology: C. Graffagnino, D. Laskowitz, A. Saunders, and W. Strittmatter; Surgery: R. Anderson, T. D'Amico, R. Davis, D. Glower, R. Harpole, J. Jaggers, R. Jones, K. Landolfo, C. Milano, P. Smith, and W. Wolfe; Cardiology: D. Mark, E. Peterson, M. Sketch, and R. Califf.
Related Editorial

The full text of Original Articles is available to subscribers only after logging on. However, you can order the complete article.

Table of Contents | Previous Article | Next Article

Copyright © 2001 by the Massachusetts Medical Society. All rights

If anyone finds more information on this topic, please post it or forward a copy to me please.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I hope to learn more about this also. I feel as if I am in the latter "42%"
Brian

My AVR surgeon told me tht the quality of the filters is a factor and he "used the best".

Another member of VR.com reported that slowing the post heart surgery heating process (by only a few minutes) helped to prevent 'overheating' of the brain which had also been indicated as a contributing factor to cognitive loss.

'AL Capshaw'

Rob, you and I are both past the five years now - mine was March 2000 and maybe yours April 2000? I find that I have lost some memory as time has passed. I always had trouble remembering names but now it's pretty much a problem - new people, not old friends. I have to search mentally for some things I used to have quickly at hand. Thankfully, I don't have to be in the workplace like most of our members and that's a Godsend.

Thanks for the article. It is quite enlightening because the five years since they came out with this pumpheadedness is now here and some of us are finding we might be in that higher percentile.

Course, as you all know, I am just old and that could be the whole thing - or some of it.

Thanks for your ongoing research and letting us in on it.

Hi Ann,

Yes we are in the same year & month class. My surgery was March 23, 2000.
As best a can remember that is.

I have had my doctors run several tests and they agree there may be some damage due to the heart lung machine. It is still har to prove, but at least I have it on record, and will continue to reseach.

IF anyone has any articles or other current information regarding this topic please post them.

Hope you are doing well Ann, and that you are away from the path of the hurricane.

I spent most of last night in the ER. Seems I have a nasty case of A-Fib again. The last time it hit was was in May. Guess I deserved it though, seems I stayed out late, had a bit more to drink than normal and to top it off, onlyhad 3 1/2 hours sleep. Lack of sleep and alcohol... the perfect mixer for A-fib~

Ohh well.... I have been in it now for 18 hrs. They gave me a shoot in the ER, that brought it down, so they released me.. then it came back 4 hours later. Good thing I am alreay on Coumadin. One good think about taking that frug is that you are already medicated to fight any portential clots from A-Fib.

Enjoy this beautiful fall seson,
Rob

hensylee said:
Rob, you and I are both past the five years now - mine was March 2000 and maybe yours April 2000? I find that I have lost some memory as time has passed. I always had trouble remembering names but now it's pretty much a problem - new people, not old friends. I have to search mentally for some things I used to have quickly at hand. Thankfully, I don't have to be in the workplace like most of our members and that's a Godsend.

Thanks for the article. It is quite enlightening because the five years since they came out with this pumpheadedness is now here and some of us are finding we might be in that higher percentile.

Course, as you all know, I am just old and that could be the whole thing - or some of it.

Thanks for your ongoing research and letting us in on it.

Very much so for me.......

Very much so for me.......

My job revolves around OSHA and EPA regulations. I used to have a reputation for knowing the regs better than even the inspectors...... NOT ANYMORE !!

I can not remember names, regulations, hell even birthdays of my nieces & nephews. My wife and I's 16th anniversary is this weekend and my daughter reminded me tonight.....not good !!

(I do have these important ones in my outlook calender to remind me)

Has anyone looked for studies describing advances into regaining memory capacity?

I would love to have my mind back again!!

Hell, what did I just say ???????

hehehe

Ben

brain packed in ice

brain packed in ice

My surgeon said he packed my head in ice for several hours during my valve replacement a month ago to prevent brain damage. I don't notice any significant loss of memory capability yet, although at age 72 I don't remember names like I did when I was age 40.

Ben Smith said:
I would love to have my mind back again!!

Hi Ben, I know what you're battling. I keep a PDA with appointments and notes on it so I don't forget to be somewhere. I've gotten totally disoriented on the way to somewhere I've half a dozen times before (now keep detailed local map in the car). A few other neurological things going on as well that are very frustrating. Sometimes words just aren't there, once a while get woozy without reason, concentration is hard especially in a noisy environment. I used to able to watch TV, read a book and talk on the phone at the same time. Now I will sometimes put the TV on mute and read the closed captioning as processing the visual input, spoken dialog and background sound tracks at the same time it too demanding. (It has cut back on TV time though.)
They suspect it is due to a combination of being on the pump for 10 hours (long surgery) and microemboli sometimme soon after the surgery. Had MRI done and there are a number of very small focal damaged areas in the lower central cerebellum. They may or may not be the cause.
One good side of having some memory loss...Last week I had a heated discussion with my wife one morning and she later called up from work to say she was sorry, etc and honestly I did not remember anything about it. She though it was so nice of me not to hold a grudge and let go of it so graciously.
As to what to do about it...I couldn't tell you. keep your mind busy and you eventually learn various mental workarounds. Good Luck with it.

Jeff/Ben,
I feel your pain brothers. I am glad I'm not the Lone Ranger in this battle. I realized all of this decline post AVR.
I am going to try to learn a foreign language to maintain the edge and to try to stir up areas of the brain that may not be used or have become dormant. Wish me luck!

Warm regards,
Brian

Latest posts

Back