Medical ID

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teacher

Do any of you on coumadin wear medical identification to alert someone of its use if you are involved in an accident, etc? My daughter says I should be wearing a bracelet. If you do, where did you buy it from. Thanks!

I ordered mine from the prescription counter at local Walgreen's drug store. Had mechanical valve & anticoagulation medication engraved on it along with my name, address, & phone. I decided not to go with the Medic Alert (or similar) types since I was afraid I would procrastinate when it came time to subscribe next year.

Cris

I wear a MedicAlert bracelet. For $35 a year they maintain all my medical info in their database so that anyone looking at my bracelet can call their 800 #, give MedicAlert my ID# and get a list of my ailments and history, my doctors' phone numbers and and my ICE (In Case of Emergency) number. The initial $35 includes a stainless steel bracelet. I can update my entry in their database online at any time (probably can do same by phone also). Pretty good deal, I think.

I've worn my MedicAlert bracelet since my surgery almost five years ago. I definitely think it's a good idea.

I had mine engraved with:
"Aortic Valve Replaced
Takes Coumadin
Allergic to Penicillin"

The only time I take it off is when I'm working on my cars. I was wearing my first bracelet one time while working on my son's car and it came into contact with a hot electric wire. It literally exploded the bracelet off my wrist, welded the clasp together and burned my wrist. Should have known better. That's why I'm always careful to take any jewelry (rings, watches, etc.) off now when working on cars or anything else that could bite me...

Mark :)

I have gotten my bracelets from MedicAlert since 1981 when I had my mitral valve replaced. I never take it off. Mine says: "mitral valve replaced, defibrillator, on Coumadin, call immediately". It then gives my history number and there is a phone number that emergency personnel can call to get further info like other conditions, doctors' names and who to call in an emergency, etc. Medical personnel are trained to look for these bracelets and probably know the phone number to MedicAlert even if it wasn't written on the bracelet. MedicAlert also has a decal for your car window so emergency personnel will see that. They also have a wide range of jewelry in all metals and price ranges. Linda

Cris N said:
I ordered mine from the prescription counter at local Walgreen's drug store. Had mechanical valve & anticoagulation medication engraved on it along with my name, address, & phone. I decided not to go with the Medic Alert (or similar) types since I was afraid I would procrastinate when it came time to subscribe next year.

Cris

Cris:
I solved that problem. Last fall, I paid for several years' membership. MedicAlert will e-mail you & snail-mail when it's time to re-up. Easiest to do it online.

I chose Medic Alert because of the 24 hour database availability.
When it came time to renew my membership, I chose the 3 year option for $50.

"Never Leave Home Without It"

'AL Capshaw'

agree

agree

I would agree with all of the above - I have had mine for almost a year now. It is well worth the time, effort and money to invest in this possible life saving instrument. They (Medicalert) have a wide range of products to choose from. I rest a little easier knowing that it is a great backup in case of emergency. It also comes with a wallet (or purse) ID card.

Teacher said:
Do any of you on coumadin wear medical identification to alert someone of its use if you are involved in an accident, etc? My daughter says I should be wearing a bracelet. If you do, where did you buy it from. Thanks!

http://www.medids.com/index.html

They do a good engraving job and fast delivery, I got mine in a little less then a week.

The hospital gave us a packet of information on his surgery,coumadin,etc. while he was in the hospital having his surgery. There was an order form from Medic Alert and his owners card for his ATS valve in the packet. I ordered his bracelet as soon as we came home and have renewed it every year since. He never forgets to put it on and several people have asked to see it when he is out in public. His has a spandex bracelet like a watch and looks like a nice piece of jewelry. I think it was around $50.00.

Latest posts

Back