Medic-Alert

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahsunshine

Who has a medic-alert bracelet (or similar) and what does it say on it?

Skyler's Doctor says he should have one and wear it all the time (fidgety 12yo will lose it in no time, just like the Medic'Alert Dog Tag Necklace we got him).

I'm trying to figure out what to say on it too. Everything should be on it, I assume, but wouldn't that take too much space? Realistically, what information is the most useful? Perhaps someone who works in the medical field/EMS could help?

He has:
Mechanical Mitral and Aortic Valves
Ascending Aorta Graft
Warfarin and Aspirin anticoagulation

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I also went with Medic Alert Canada, just bought a second bracelet, had my first for 6 years.
For kids they have really cool nylon sports bracelets that are not expensive.
They offer help with what to have engraved.
Mine says:
MECHANICAL
AORTIC VALVE
ANTICOAGULATED
ARRHYTHMIA

Who has a medic-alert bracelet (or similar) and what does it say on it?

Skyler's Doctor says he should have one and wear it all the time (fidgety 12yo will lose it in no time, just like the Medic'Alert Dog Tag Necklace we got him).

I'm trying to figure out what to say on it too. Everything should be on it, I assume, but wouldn't that take too much space? Realistically, what information is the most useful? Perhaps someone who works in the medical field/EMS could help?

He has:
Mechanical Mitral and Aortic Valves
Ascending Aorta Graft
Warfarin and Aspirin anticoagulation

Thanks for your help.

I think you've nailed it Sarah.

I have a stainless steel Medic Alert bracelet that has a complicated enough latch that I can't get it on and off myself, my wife has to do it for me :) So I think it might stay on a 12 year old! I went with MedicAlert.org and paid the $45 annual subscription fee. It seems a bit spendy, but they do have all your medical and contact info, plus it's fairly easy to update.

Actually, we have the full medic-alert lifetime membership (before they did the three year thing) so we are grandfathered in. We also have doctors and both parents. It was just a matter of figuring out what to put on the new bracelet.

Tom, thanks for that! I think that's what we are leaning towards. Skyler used to have one of the sports velcro ones that he played with all day amd figetted enough with the actual piece that it came off. I'm hoping that with the stainless one (and the clasp that you have) that he won't be able to take it off!

Sarah,
I assume you will also include Contact info for you and his doctor.
John

As Greg pointed out, all of the detailed med info, docs names and phone numbers is put on the wallet card,
and kept on computer files at Medic Alert; accessed by a hotline phone number on the bracelet.

My Mom also had the basic stainless steel bracelet and they are indeed very hard to remove; good for a child.

I've got one, had it since i was 13 years old, it reads:
"Tel UK: 123456789
Aortic valve replacement,
History of stroke and embolectomy.
On: Anti-coagulants
*my number*."
I also have to carry a card with extra information like doc name, my parents contact details, hospital name & number, I've had at least 8 different bracelets as my details keep changing lol, but deffinatly worth the "cover" just incase :)
Sarah xxxxxx

Mine says: Aortic valve replaced/aortic aneurysm repair/seizures/takes coumadin

I also carry the card in my wallet. I'm a little bit concerned about how the membership price keeps rising every year but having the bracelet does me a great sense of security. Along with a regular bracelet, I even have a cute one made of pink beads and another with a charm.

Had my Medic-Alert bracelet for 11 years since my surgery (I'm on my third bracelet).

It says"

"Aortic Valve Replaced
Takes Coumadin
Allergic to Penicillin"

Thankfully have not needed to use it.

Mark

Latest posts

Back