Mederma, Vitamin E and scars?...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

Okay I tried searching the forums for anyone's experience with vitamin E, but using the word vitamin all the results I get are for vitamin K...

So on to my question. I'm at 5 weeks post op and it looks like my scars are healing well. Still some scabs that remain but I assume I will lose very soon. Once that's done I'm wondering how to minimize evidence of scarring. I know there will always be something there I just don't want it to be too gnarly looking. I live in Florida and as a result lots of time is spent in the pool or at the beach without a shirt on. What's the best way to care for my incision and drain tube scars? Ice read some about vitamin E oil with mixed information. I have no knowledge of Mederma but heard it mentioned before. Or what about just plain aloe?

Who's found success and with what? And hopefully it's convenient and not like messy or smelly or anything...

I can't help very much here -- I never did anything special for my scars except to stay out of the sun most of the first summer after surgery. Since then, I've just ignored the scars. I'm one of the lucky ones - although I have many scars from surgeries and injuries, they seem to quickly blend into my normal skin tone. I'm about 4 1/2 years out not, and you really have to look closely to see my chest scar at all. The only highly visible reminder I have from heart surgery is the lump that my pacemaker makes under my skin. If I didn't have that, you would never know I had heart surgery.

Hope you can be so lucky on the scars. . .

Yeah I have heard to protect against the sun, go figure... I'm in Florida so that'll be a tough one. Been searching the net high and low but this seems to be a topic with no clear answer. Found something else called silicone sheets which sounded kinda strange?

I was sure our members here would have more to share on what helps healing to minimize visual scarring?

This topic hasn't gone anywhere. Nevertheless, I'm starting a new treatment of silicone sheet bandages that claims to be the number one clinically proven treatment for scars. It called ScarAway. Ills let you know how well it goes.

Hi Almost ! Like Steve, I made sure my scar was covered when I went out in the sun the first year, I didn't do anything else special apart from a regular moisturizer once the cardiac nurse at rehab told me I should apply something on the scar so that the skin wasn't dry. Just for you I have just taken a photo of my scar and updated it to the Tawdy Shirt Thread section where I have previous photos of the scar so you can see how it changes: http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...scar#post44053

Perhaps in this particular group scarring is not a major concern, AH. As a whole the folks here seem more concerned with the medical ramifications of surgery and not the cosmetic. I know it is not a concern for me because I have ugly vertical scars from two emergency C-sections and one more doesn't make a difference to me at my age :) It would be great if I could still wear some scoop neck tops that I have without a scar peeping out and freaking out my co-workers, but I'm OK buying new clothes to hide the scar if needed. Be assured that I am NOT saying your question isn't important; just offering an explanation as to why you've not gotten many replies.

That said, please let me know how that works for you. I'm seldom in the sun but minimizing the scar would be nice if I could do it.

The surgery I had I will surely never forget, never, ever. That being said, I already have a constant reminder as the ticking will never go away unless I go deaf. And I cant forget the Coumadin I will take every day for the rest of my life because, well Id rather not even think about that... As for the scars of surgery. I see no reason to wear them outwardly for the world if I dont have to. What I endured was a very personal experience that 99% of the people I encounter would never ever understand. Id rather have a scar that almost vanishes from existence if possible. I want to return to a healthy and active lifestyle showing no outward signs of what I had to endure. Id rather people meet me and be shocked to hear that I underwent open heart surgery and respond with surprise by saying something like "oh my gosh I had no idea, your so strong and so healthy!" Maybe part of it is vanity. But hey, I live in a beach community, so walking around shirtless is part of life where I live. Combine that with being a young, single guy... and why the heck would I want to walk around with a big scar on my chest. Its not a secret that I had heart surgery, but why does that need to be the first thing people know about me before they even know my name? I have plenty of scars from surgery, I really dont need any more. Id rather be able to lounge around the pool or walk down the beach and have people see me, not just look at my scar. And who knows, maybe I wont get what I want, but thats still what I want.

Hi Almost - you're not very far out from surgery so I can understand how you are feeling right now. Did you see the photo I posted showing the changes in my scar ? You'll see that compared to how my scar was six months after surgery it is practically gone now, just a thin white line. There's camoflage stuff you can put on your scar when it's more healed if it really is a problem to you. I'm sure your GP would help you.

Paleogirl;n858786 said:
Hi Almost - you're not very far out from surgery so I can understand how you are feeling right now. Did you see the photo I posted showing the changes in my scar ? You'll see that compared to how my scar was six months after surgery it is practically gone now, just a thin white line. There's camoflage stuff you can put on your scar when it's more healed if it really is a problem to you. I'm sure your GP would help you.

Yes I did see it, thank you for directing me to it. I was just answering the posts prior, to explain my thought process with regard to the visibility of my scar. Like the rest of my surgery I want the absolute best possible outcome and will do what I can to achieve that, my scar is no different than the rest of my body when it comes to my healing I guess. Surgical glue instead of stitches of course is already a huge leap forward in ensuring that.

I bought a tube of Mederma and applied it each day In addition, I was very careful not to expose my scar to the sun during the first summer after surgery. That tube of Mederma lasted about a year. I was very tempted to, for the sake of science, apply the Mederma to only half of the scar. Vanity over-ruled the scientist in me.

Now 16 months after surgery my scar is pretty similar to how Anne's scar looks in the pictures she posted. I spent a lot of time in the sun this summer (enjoying all the things I missed last summer). With a tan the scar became almost unnoticeable.

Yeah I had heard really good things about the effectiveness of Mederma, however I had also read that it can be messy and that it smells. I guess it's made from onions! Anyhow, I knowvnone of these products are guaranteed to work. But after only a few days of using the ScarAway I can say it is easy and convenient to apply, just like a bandaid. And judging visually after only 3 days it does seem to be having a very positive effect. Will the scar vanish, no, I know it won't. But if it's any less prominent or at the very least heals faster, I'll be happy for that. I'll be tan again this time next year that's a given.

Almost, if I were to try to get rid of all my scars I would have to be dipped in scar away. I look at it this way, that my scars are battle wounds of incidents in my life. My niece who has lived somewhat a sheltered life and is covered in tattoos often asks me when I am going to get a tattoo, in which I reply that I have tattoos all over my body and not having to lift my shirt or pull it down I point at my neck and forehead showing scars from car accidents, having my throat slashed and cervical fusion. I let her know that these are my tattoos and there will be more added as I get older and they all convey a memory or message good and bad in my life. Anywho, that being said I really don't know much about scar removal but have thought about it such as you. If there is something out there I wish you luck in finding it and please let me know if you find it, I do get tired of young people pointing and making faces due to excessive scars. Thanx, Tank

I don't know, Tank. When younger guys at the gym stare at my scar assortment, I just growl at them and most of them go away. . .

Don't mess with the old guy -- he has fewer years to lose than you do.

epstns, it's good to know there are others out there that share the same problem. Power to the scar. Thanx, Tank.

epstns;n858911 said:
I don't know, Tank. When younger guys at the gym stare at my scar assortment, I just growl at them and most of them go away. . .

Don't mess with the old guy -- he has fewer years to lose than you do.
Rotfl

Both points, like a double barrel :)

I have scars that don't bother me at all. But I understand the desire to put this heart ordeal behind me and pretend it never happened. Can't really explain it. I don't understand it myself.

BTW, you guys are the best.

Agian;n858919 said:
I have scars that don't bother me at all. But I understand the desire to put this heart ordeal behind me and pretend it never happened. Can't really explain it. I don't understand it myself.
I think it's becasue it's traumatic because it involves the heart

Just an update: ScarAway is the scar treatment I chose. Mostly for convenience but the other thing I noted was that when comparing it to Mederma, the Mederma says its the number one selling scar treatment on the market. The ScarAway says its the number one clinically tested scar treatment. So I went with the clinical results over sales. Its going on 5 weeks now Ive been using the product, and of course I have no basis to compare my scar to without treatment, I think its looking really great. Very narrow and slightly pinkish thin line, hard to even see unless you look closely. Anyone I have shown it to is amazed at how good it looks. I have a few weeks left on the 8 weeks of bandages that come in the box, so it can only improve. The product itself is really easy to use and convenient. Its basically a sticky silicone layer on a flexible fabric bandage. You apply it like a piece of tape over the scar and leave it for 12-24 hours a day. The next day you remove the tape, usually prior to showering or whatever. Then you can wash the strip with a mild handsoap and blot dry and reapply for another day. Theres a new strip provided for each week of treatment. I buy the long ones but my incision scar is only about 3.5 inches long. I cut off the extra and make pieces to apply over my drain tube holes. Works out great!

I used a silicone patch faithfully under the guidance of a dermatologist. Originally, my scar was red and angry, but after some laser treatments and using this patch, it is not very noticeable, other than one spot at the very top of the incision that has a keloid that refuses to behave...go figure.

Latest posts

Back