Mechanical Valve ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RandyL

Okay I am sure this has been debated lots of times. I wish I could take a poll from everyone. I know that everyone has different mechanical valves but over the years thing change and so do valves. If you were going to get a mechanical valve tomorrow for your aortic valve, What brand valve would you pick. PLease help me out with this because I am going to go wit the masses from this forrum to make my decision.
Thanks

Randy,

I am pretty conservative and tend to go with the "tried and true" vs the "new kid on the block". If I were to need another surgery, I would choose the St. Jude again without hesitation.

Thank you

Thats one vote for St Jude.
Would that be the latest and greatest Regent.

23 mm St Jude

23 mm St Jude

3 years...8 months.. 13 days..:D ..never know it's there.:D Must be working..for I'm still here posting.:D some times..I wish I could hear it........Paid a lot of money for it..:p Bonnie

Randy I do not have a mechanical valve so do not feel personally attached to a particular make. However if I was getting a straight mechanical AVR not including an Aorta replacement I would choose an On-X. This is the only valve at present undergoing a trial with aspirin only anticoagulation therapy. The trial is currently being conducted in Europe. To my knowledge no other mechanical valve is currently being clinically trialled with aspirin only anticoagulation. Keep in mind the trial still has to prove successful and then be approved by the FDA before aspirin becomes the accepted anticoagulation therapy.

geebee said:
Randy,

I am pretty conservative and tend to go with the "tried and true" vs the "new kid on the block". If I were to need another surgery, I would choose the St. Jude again without hesitation.

I agree. Coming up to my five year anniversary with my St.Jude valve next week.

Mark

RandyL said:
Okay I am sure this has been debated lots of times. I wish I could take a poll from everyone. I know that everyone has different mechanical valves but over the years thing change and so do valves. If you were going to get a mechanical valve tomorrow for your aortic valve, What brand valve would you pick. PLease help me out with this because I am going to go wit the masses from this forrum to make my decision.
Thanks

Randy,

I too, if required to choose a mechanical valve right now -- would go with the St. Judes valve. Many mechanical valves are similar in design ( and sometimes even conception ), and use the same type of materials too. The tests conducted by the FDA on the hemodynamics and durability of different valve brands essentially give the same results across most of the new generation of mechanical valves.

Here is a link to an FDA approval of the "new" On-X valve:
http://valvereplacement.com/forums/showpost.php?p=154192&postcount=1
the difference is the manufacturer of the On-X valve is pushing an aspirin only study for anti-coagulation therapy, a newer, riskier approach, in keeping with the overall strategy of this valve manufacturer ( essentially the On-X derives from the St. Judes valve and the two companies are not unrelated -- readiing between the lines here):
http://www.onxvalves.com/About_ONXStory.asp

Regards,
Burair

As of today, the St. Jude is the gold standard. Maybe not tomorrow, but today it is.

Marybeth

Alright fellow Valvesters,lol This is great, keep em coming, I love it when a plan comes together.

Hi Randy

My hubby, Tyce had his St. Jude "installed" over 3 years ago.....it "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'" Our surgeon recommended it, and we went with that. I think he definitely would get another one....God Forbid!!!!

Evelyn

My first choice would have been a healthy version of the valve that I was born with, but I'm alive and my StJude is working out quite well, so...

39 months to the day and my St. Jude is still ticking/clicking !!!!

I'm edging up on 1 year---12/24! I feel great. Can't imagine feeling any stronger! It's a miracle to even be here, yet alone feeling so well! I have two St. Jude valves. They are a God send for me!

Mike

I wouldnt like to try and influence you to choose one valve over another so will just say my daughter has a 25mm On-X mitral valve and its been ticking happily away for 4 and a half years now.

Good luck with your decision
Emma
xxx

I was not given an option, I was told that to be here at 7 AM in the morning and you will get a St.Jude Mechanical Valve. Did not know there was anything else.....

Latest posts

Back