Mechanical valve + Coumadin + Birth Control

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mom2angel

I'm sorry to deviate from the topic of this thread, but I could not help but read that you have the same valve for 30 years implanted at the age of 2. You are an inspiration to parents whose children are facing OHS for valve replacement.

Sorry, I should have specified: I had the original replaced with an adult sized valve in '93 at the age of 13. This is the one i have today. I often forget to say that because I've had one since '82 so for me that's when it started. The original was a Bjork-Shiley. This one is a St. Judes.
I wish the opening poster much luck, and I hope you find a solution to your issue. I just don't want to see you rule out having more children, because there are many Drs that will tell you that you are a fine candidate for having a baby, as I can attest to.

messaged you the other day. Had to get my INR drawn once a week during pregnancy instead of once a month. Labor was induced at 39weeks so I wouldn't go into labor on my own and have bleeding problems. Coumadin was stopped 36 hrs before labor. Ended up having an emergency c-section and almost bled to death, because I wasn't off Coumadin long enough to have a surgery. This time it will be a scheduled c-section at 39weeks, so will be off Coumadin long enough. I think a scheduled c-section is the smartest way to go, so you can be off Coumadin 2 days before the surgery, just like with any other surgery.

messaged you the other day. Had to get my INR drawn once a week during pregnancy instead of once a month. Labor was induced at 39weeks so I wouldn't go into labor on my own and have bleeding problems. Coumadin was stopped 36 hrs before labor. Ended up having an emergency c-section and almost bled to death, because I wasn't off Coumadin long enough to have a surgery. This time it will be a scheduled c-section at 39weeks, so will be off Coumadin long enough. I think a scheduled c-section is the smartest way to go, so you can be off Coumadin 2 days before the surgery, just like with any other surgery.

You're very lucky everything turned out well even tho you almost bleed to death. What valve is your mechanical valve? I believe the risks of life threatning clots are even higher for Mothers with mechanical Mitral valves like jailene has.- at least from what I remember from the research others who had babies like Willow who posted thru out their pregnancies here.
I wsih you well for the rest of your pregnancy and both you and you baby will be in my prayers

Lyn,
Mine is in the mitral position. It is a St Judes valve. Pregnancy is very risky for women like us, but I weighed my options for years and put everything in God's hands. So i would call it more of a miracle then "luck" :) Praying everything works out great for Jailene :)

Lyn,
Mine is in the mitral position. It is a St Judes valve. Pregnancy is very risky for women like us, but I weighed my options for years and put everything in God's hands. So i would call it more of a miracle then "luck" :) Praying everything works out great for Jailene :)

I agree it Is a Miracle you didnt bleed to death or have a clotting needing ER OHS right after deliverring like a few of our members did even going to the very best doctors and hospitals or spending weeks in the hospital before delivery. Thanks for giving a little more detail, from your first post it kind of came off TO ME that your were saying it really wasn't that big of a deal to get pregnant with a mech valve and anticoagulants. So mentioning you almost bled to death and saying it IS very risky, hopefully will remind jailene and others who may read this thread over the years to really put their thoughts into it like you did do alot of research, and make sure they go to very good doctors and get their opinions BEFORE they get pregnant, or maybe even before their choose their valve if they want to have children or more children.

FWIW Here is one of the links to Willows (who I mentioned above) pregnancy with a mech valve , who had 2 babies with mech valves http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Willow-s-Pregnancy-after-MVR&highlight=willow they are earlier post explaing what their plan was and their research if you search for Willow, they are guest now so you cant just read all their posts. She did have 2 beautiful healthy babies but also needed ER surgery to replace the valve both times.

Talk to your cardiologist and GYN about different birth control pill options. I take a very low dose birth control and my cardiologist and GYN both agreed I could stay on it with the Coudadin. It's called Lessina.

Talk to your cardiologist and GYN about different birth control pill options. I take a very low dose birth control and my cardiologist and GYN both agreed I could stay on it with the Coudadin. It's called Lessina.

Latest posts

Back