mechanical or tissue valve and an active lifestyle?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering if you approached the surgeon about the aortic valve sparing procedure? If not, it is a discussion you should have. Depending on many factors, it may be feasible for repair of the valve instead of replacement. If you have had this discussion, and it is not an option, as the others have suggested, it is really age relevant. Younger people tend to go for mechanical unless they are still in childbearing years (women). Also, the general consensus is that mechanical valves "outlive" tissue ones, and why go thru surgery twice when you can get it done in one. Best wishes with your decision.

yes i agree i would rather just have the one ohs, but i choose the re op road as i and many others after looking into and speaking with the medical experts choose not to be on anti coags the rest of our lives, if there was no problem with anti coags we would all have mech,for the most part people get on fine,but like reops there can be a danger,to say or think otherwise is naive at best,saying that give me both above the one i had

There are most definitely risks with any choice. Unfortunately there is no "one-size-fits-all" solution to valve selection and everybody needs to do their research and then make an informed choice that is best for them. To me any choice that keeps you alive and kickin' is a good one...

When I chose a mechanical valve, the risk associated with re-ops was much more of a concern to me personally than were the issues associated with ACT. I know that others in the same situation made different choices, and that's okay. The only "bad" decison would be to not have surgery when either type of valve could extend your life.

I've been both lucky and blessed that things have worked out well for me over the last ten years. Sometimes I feel guilty that I have enjoyed such good health when I read about others who have struggled.

Quite frankly, with all the advances in tissue valve technology, my choice would be much more difficult today than it was ten years ago when I had my AVR.

Mark

Hey Everone,

I am new to this site as well.. I am so thankful to have found this site. I am a 34 year old female and a mother to a wonderful 2 year old son.. I had open heart surgery on 11/12/10 were I had a mechanical valve replacement and also had aortic root repair. My surgeon highly suggested that I have the mechanical valve due to my age due to the fact that the tissue valves due tend to wear out faster than the mechanical valve. I was very torn between the decision on mechanical or tissue because of the medicine that is required with the mechanical and wanting to live an active life and still play sports like I have in the past. I am a proud owner of a ST. Jude mechanical valve, I chose this valve because I did not want to have a second surgery. I am 11 weeks post surgery and have been on coumadin since having the surgery. I really haven't felt much change from taking coumadin. Once I healed from the surgery I have been able to lead a normal life. So whatever decision you make it will be the right decision for you.. I do have to say that post surgery was really hard for me and I thank God everyday that I chose the mechanical cause I do not want to go through another surgery and hope I won't have too. For all of you on here that have had to go through multiple surgeries I commend you.. You truly are survivors..

Hey Everone,

I am new to this site as well.. I am so thankful to have found this site. I am a 34 year old female and a mother to a wonderful 2 year old son.. I had open heart surgery on 11/12/10 were I had a mechanical valve replacement and also had aortic root repair. My surgeon highly suggested that I have the mechanical valve due to my age due to the fact that the tissue valves due tend to wear out faster than the mechanical valve. I was very torn between the decision on mechanical or tissue because of the medicine that is required with the mechanical and wanting to live an active life and still play sports like I have in the past. I am a proud owner of a ST. Jude mechanical valve, I chose this valve because I did not want to have a second surgery. I am 11 weeks post surgery and have been on coumadin since having the surgery. I really haven't felt much change from taking coumadin. Once I healed from the surgery I have been able to lead a normal life. So whatever decision you make it will be the right decision for you.. I do have to say that post surgery was really hard for me and I thank God everyday that I chose the mechanical cause I do not want to go through another surgery and hope I won't have too. For all of you on here that have had to go through multiple surgeries I commend you.. You truly are survivors..

WELCOME TO OUR OHS FAMILY we are indeed a family in the unique world or being brothers and sisters in OHS ...... so again a HEARTFELT WELCOME Monica

God bless you mothers that face this decision

Last edited:
Welcome to our World Monica !

I encourage you to look through the Anti-Coagulation Forum to learn more about living with and on anti-coagulation medicine (Coumadin / Warfarin), starting with the "stickys" at the top of the Forum Thread Listing.

You may also enjoy reading about the Physical Activities of anti-coagulation patients in the Active Lifestyle Forum.
We have members who play many sports and/or engage in activities such as Marathon Running and Tri-Athlon Participants.

'AL Capshaw'

I had a Mech valve fitted in October 2009, I played basketball at a semi-pro level before this. I have sinced returned to training at this level and playing I admit im not back to what i was but im getting there. Been only 26 now i did not want another operation 10 years down line due to a flesh valve so mechanical was best suited.
I was told that sports like rugby are a no go due to it been a contact sport, and warfarin and that do not mix.
But a mechanical valve has been fine with me, i have an active lifestyle and do not find myself limited in anyway.

Its all down to personnal choice and where you want to go in next few years.

'The other point I have not seen anyone mention with mechanical valves is the risk of overseas travel to non first world countries where different diet, upset stomach can interfere with warfarin and there is unlikely to be someone available with lovonox as a backup or a well equipped ER." I live in a developing country and while I don't have concerns here in Bangkok I do worry if I go to smaller cities or in other parts of Asia. Even though I am pre surgery I have gotten in the habit f locating at least a few hospitals wherever I go that are close to my Air Bnb. Totally agreed in regards to the availability of different foods when you travel--I am concerned as well that this can throw off INR

'The other point I have not seen anyone mention with mechanical valves is the risk of overseas travel to non first world countries where different diet, upset stomach can interfere with warfarin and there is unlikely to ....
You do realize this thread is over12 years old? I don't know if that's a risk or not - ask the lady that climbed Mt. Everest with a SJM valve?

The other point I have not seen anyone mention with mechanical valves is the risk of overseas travel to non first world countries
Except you, which has been answered here

That's my concern.

I am vegan, live in Asia, travel a lot..I am afraid once I stray away from home (Bangkok) it will be difficult to manage INR as my diet may vary alot depending on availability of food

But then you're on record for not reading answers that make you feel bad.

Many of us here have tried, for years in some cases, to help and advise you. Yet you refuse to take any of it.

Why?

Hey Everone,

I share your story about valve choice. I had a St Jude mechanical valve in March 2008 and a redo in July due to a bacterial infection. I fully recovered by the end of the year, enjoying everything I did before without lifestyle changes, except taking Warfarin, which really is harmless. I’m spared the scheduling problems if INR testing, as I test at home using Coagchek system.
The most sage advice I would give anyone is adjust your Wafarin, not your diet. Otherwise you may end up eating unhealthy to control your INR. My doctor prescribed 2.5mg tablets snd gave me a grid which allows me to adjust my dosage easily if I’m outside of the 2.5-3.5 range.
I am fortunate to have survived 2 heart surgeries and a brain surgery in 2008, all required because of a bacterial infection in my blood from a dental procedure. I had two sons ages 1 and 3 at the time and they have been my reason to live.
God bless technology advances. The only downside with a mechanical valve is you can’t have the less invasive surgery if you need a redo. Unless they can strand the mechanical valve somewhere in the chest cavity and replace with a tissue valve. I have these questions for my cardiologists in my next visit.

(except to avoid grapefruit juice, which I don't like anyway ←_←
😊
LOL. I like grapefruit and currently have half a grapefruit about 2-3 times a month as a dinner dessert. Over my first few decades after surgery, I drank grapefruit juice at will without a problem........Then I stopped drinking grapefruit juice when I read it is bad for Warfarin patients.........but I ain't gonna give up my fresh grapefruit because it has a little juice in it:devilish:.

but I ain't gonna give up my fresh grapefruit because it has a little juice in it:devilish:.
agreed (because I'd say that in supermarket bottled juice there is the juice of about 5 grapefruits per glass and people don't just have one glass).

PS: do you sprinkle sugar all over the top (to mask that nasty bitter taste)?

Absolutely!!......if Ididn't, it would "pucker" my mouth for a week.
I don't eat anything that doesn't taste good on its own.

I have heard it said that Americans can eat anything if its between two slices of bread or has enough sugar on it.

The success of the McDonalds chain bears this out.

;-)

Latest posts

Back