Mass General Doc's

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michele

My surgery was perform at Brigham and Women (Shapiro Cardiovascular) state of the art facility.

Dr.Shekar perform my surgery. Too me he is the world best surgeon.:)

http://physiciandirectory.brighaman...main&setsize=30&sskeywords=24&pict_id=0004335

Clinical Interests:
• Aortic Root Aneurysms in Connective Tissue Disorders
• Ascending and Aortic Arch Aneurysm Surgery
• Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and Atrial Fibrillation
• Minimal Access Aortic and Mitral Valve Surgery
• Adult Congenital Heart Disease and Pulmonary Embolism
• Other Routine and Reoperative Adult Cardiac Surgery

http://physiciandirectory.brighaman...main&setsize=30&sskeywords=24&pict_id=0004335

Clinical Interests:

Excellent, I was just looking at his profile now.

Since my an ascending aortic aneurysm, I want to find someone with experience.

Clinical Interests:

These are the areas of interest for your issues Michele.
It is certainly worth a call to his office for further discussion. Be sure to ask about the number of Aortic Aneurisms he has performed. The fact that he mentions Connective Tissue Disorders is a REAL PLUS. This is the BIG ISSUE with BAV and Aneurisms. From what I read, Aortic Arch Surgery is the Most Complex of Aorta Surgery. YEP, this guy is definitely worth checking out.

'AL Capshaw'

Michele:

I didn't get all the information I was seeking, but my friend said that her mom's surgeon was Masterson and she had an AVR. Said her mom was an RN for 50 years and is extremely critical of doctors, and was extremely pleased with Masterson and the nursing care she received at Mass Gen.

I would assume that surgeons who do AVRs are probably also skilled with aneurysm and diseases of the aorta, since many times those go hand-in-hand. But that might not always hold true.

Michele:

I would assume that surgeons who do AVRs are probably also skilled with aneurysm and diseases of the aorta, since many times those go hand-in-hand. But that might not always hold true.

I would NOT make the *Assumption* that any surgeon who performs AVR is also skilled in doing Surgery of the Aorta.

I developed an interest in BAV and Connective Tissue Disorders after reading several threads on the subject following a spate of threads about BAV, most notably from one of our members whose valve replacement FAILED due to a stitching failure attributed to a Connective Tissue Disorder which the original surgeon did not recognize and/or did not know how to deal with.

This patient was literally at death's door and had to have urgent re-replacement after being transported to Texas (I'm thinking the second surgery was performed by Dr. Ryan if I remember correctly... or maybe Dr. Coselli at THI... ).

Bottom Line: Surgery of the Aorta is another Step Above "mere Valve Replacement" surgery. From what I've read here, it is my understanding that surgery on the Aortic Arch is even more complex.

Based on this example, I always urge BAV patients with Aneurisms to seek out a Surgeon with Considerable Experience doing Surgery of the Aorta, and preferably someone who knows about and *how to recognize and deal with* Connective Tissue Disorders.

FWIW, It was after reading these threads that I urged Ross to create the BAV and Connective Tissue Disorder Forum (along with one of the affected members).

'AL Capshaw'

I can't speak for that surgeon but can speak for the CICU and step down care at Mass General. I had two OHS in four years there (the last coming up to two years ago) and the care I received was outstanding. I could not have asked for more able and experienced nursing and support staff. I even remembered a few from my first surgery and felt a comfort they were still on the floor.

Sadly, my much respected surgeon who did both my surgeries passed away a year ago. Such a loss as he should have had many more years. He passed way too young.

There is no question I would return to MGH for any other heart issues I might develop.

I met Dr. Akins and saw him with several of his patients. He seems pleasant enough but that hardly matters when discussing the best heart surgeons. IF he wasn't good, he wouldn't be a MGH cardio thoracic surgeon.

I would NOT make the *Assumption* that any surgeon who performs AVR is also skilled in doing Surgery of the Aorta.

I developed an interest in BAV and Connective Tissue Disorders after reading several threads on the subject following a spate of threads about BAV, most notably from one of our members whose valve replacement FAILED due to a stitching failure attributed to a Connective Tissue Disorder which the original surgeon did not recognize and/or did not know how to deal with.

This patient was literally at death's door and had to have urgent re-replacement after being transported to Texas (I'm thinking the second surgery was performed by Dr. Ryan if I remember correctly... or maybe Dr. Coselli at THI... ).

Bottom Line: Surgery of the Aorta is another Step Above "mere Valve Replacement" surgery. From what I've read here, it is my understanding that surgery on the Aortic Arch is even more complex.

Based on this example, I always urge BAV patients with Aneurisms to seek out a Surgeon with Considerable Experience doing Surgery of the Aorta, and preferably someone who knows about and *how to recognize and deal with* Connective Tissue Disorders.

FWIW, It was after reading these threads that I urged Ross to create the BAV and Connective Tissue Disorder Forum (along with one of the affected members).

'AL Capshaw'

Al:

That's why I said "But that might not always hold true." ;)

Thoracic Aortic Surgery has progressed much more slowly and is more complex/difficult procedurally compared to other surgeries in the chest, including cardiac procedures such as valve, CABG, and heart transplantation. There is no certification credential in thoracic aortic surgery, so it is not possible to identify those most skilled in it based on board certification.
Mass General is one of several major centers that have established a specialization in thoracic aortic surgery. Here is a link to that center. The co-directors consist of a cardiologist and two surgeons.

http://www.massgeneral.org/heartcenter/services/treatmentprograms.aspx?id=1010

I find the information on the Mass General Thoracic Aortic Center web site to be very helpful, and hope this link is helpful to anyone looking for an information resource about thoracic aortic disease and its treatment.

Best wishes,
Arlyss

Last edited:
I might just clarify that among valve procedures, the Ross procedure is complex - very different than surgery on the aorta in the chest, but most would agree it is also procedurally complex.

Best wishes,
Arlyss

Hi everyone, this has been very, very helpful. I merely started checking out Mass General since they were rated #3 by US News and World reports top hospitals. I am certainly open to experiences which will bring wisdom in this process.

I did speak to someone yesterday at Mass General. She recommended two doctors specifically for my issue, that of an ascending aortic aneurysm.

Dr. Akins
http://www.massgeneral.org/heartcenter/doctors/doctor.aspx?ID=16393

and Dr. Vander Salm
http://nsmcphysicians.partners.org/directory/profile.asp?dbase=main&setsize=10&pict_id=0000578

Dr. Akins does not do "second opinions" and Dr. Vander Salm is no longer at Mass General itself, but at their affiliate, North Shore Medical Center in Salem.

I have been exploring the Heart Center at Mass General, but I hadn't seen the Thoracic Aortic Center, I missed that somehow. So thanks for the link Arlyss. I am weeding through the information and processing it all.

I am going to look further into Brigham and Women's hospital as well. Dr. Shekar seems a good fit, thanks nngbwh. He's the first doc to specify Ascending Aorta aneurysm surgery that I have seen and that's very important since the nature of these problems and surgeries differ some from other aneurysms in treating them.

I appreciate all the feedback, most definitely. I soldier on!

Latest posts

Back