Marijuana Compounds Hold Promise In Treatment Of Cardiovascular Diseases

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeptic49

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Philadelphia, PA and Cherry Grove, Fire Is. NY
http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=8466

Marijuana Compounds Hold Promise In Treatment Of Cardiovascular Diseases

February 3, 2011 - Jerusalem, Israel

Jerusalem, Israel: The active constituents in marijuana influence the cardiovascular system and hold promise in the management of certain cardiovascular diseases, including arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) and ischemia, according to a scientific review appearing in the journal Cardiovascular Therapeutics.

Investigators at the Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center in Israel and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston assessed preclinical data on cannabinoids and their role in various cardiovascular pathologies.

They reported: "[T]he endocannabinoid system has a physiological role in the cardiovascular systems. This system is involved in modulating cardiac inflammatory processes, maintaining hemodynamic homeostasis and rhythm control. It is not surprising, therefore, that cannabinoids offers intervention opportunities to alter the course of cardiovascular diseases. Such is the case in ischemic reperfusion injuries, where there is evidence that activating the cannabinoid system may prevent ischemic injuries and arrhythmia. Such is the case in the rhythm control mechanisms, where a few studies indicate potential antiarrhythmic properties for cannabinoids, and such is the case in heart failure."

Authors concluded, "The evidence of a potential role for cannabinoid in various cardiovascular pathologies, together with the safety data gleaned from various human intervention studies, indicate that now is the time to show efficacy across species and continue toward human trials."

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: [email protected]. Full text of the study, "The potential for clinical use of cannabinoids in treatment of cardiovascular diseases," appears in the journal Cardiovascular Therapeutics.

I see my Dr. at MGH this month maybe I can get in on the study....too bad I don't have any arrythmias.
Can't wait to see the TV commercial for that, side effects include frequent naps and eating whole batches of brownies...

Perhaps I am the last person you would expect to say this, but I have become convinced that there is an important place for the medical use of marijuana in the treatment of a variety of medical problems. These include glaucoma, severe nausea (most often from medical such as chemotherapy or radiation). New Mexico and Colorado are both states that permit the medical use of marijuana, and I am proud that my state has taken a look at the evidence, and allowed people and their Drs. to make their own decision. I know there can be abuses, but that is an issue that can be handled.

For what it's worth, I was a city attorney and prosecutor for nearly twenty years. The number of times i saw a connection between alcohol and crime, or alcohol and devastating injuries numbered well into the thousands. Except for the fact people were sometimes arrested for using an illegal product, I never personally observed those kinds of problems caused by the use of marijuana. On the contrary, I have seen someone whose life was completely changed for the better by this drug. This was a person who suffered devastating injuries in an accident. Medical marijuana has allowed this person to deal with the pain, and live a normal life.

Last edited:
My wife drug tests and completes physicals for oilfield personel and I work for a company that does random drug testing. I hope the people that do the surgery on me and have certified the equipment that is going to maintain my life are drug free. The effects of drugs stay in ones system for several days and can effect judgement.
Medically it can be useful and socially if not used be people in a safety sensitive positions. I also agree that alcohol causes more social issues then Marijuana.
I may reconsider my position upon retirement.

I have no sympathy, or time for Cheech and Chong. In fact, I have never tried marijuana, and always stop after two beers-and that less than three times per year. I am not looking for a halo, but I hope this helps make the case that this is a serious medical issue for many, not an excuse for a perceived chance to get high. It is not a panacea. There are definitely types of pain that are not ameliorated by marijuana. And there are possible side effects. I have considerable pain from old polio symptoms. The Tylenol pm that allows me to sleep is a potentially dangerous drug, but it is my pain, and my choice to take those risks in order live a more normal life. I haven't yet made the choice to find out whether medical marijuana could replace this drug that poses a well known and well documented possibility of danger to my liver. But I am glad to know that there are other possibilities.

Sorry to get on my soap box.

I have no sympathy, or time for Cheech and Chong. In fact, I have never tried marijuana, and always stop after two beers-and that less than three times per year. I am not looking for a halo, but I hope this helps make the case that this is a serious medical issue for many, not an excuse for a perceived chance to get high. It is not a panacea. There are definitely types of pain that are not ameliorated by marijuana. And there are possible side effects. I have considerable pain from old polio symptoms. The Tylenol pm that allows me to sleep is a potentially dangerous drug, but it is my pain, and my choice to take those risks in order live a more normal life. I haven't yet made the choice to find out whether medical marijuana could replace this drug that poses a well known and well documented possibility of danger to my liver. But I am glad to know that there are other possibilities.

Sorry to get on my soap box.

Sorry Dennis I was not extolling the virtues of the two individuals but rather just using them in a light manner BUT since my sternum was removed I have pain 24/7 and do not get relief from any pain meds and I really dont want to live in a veggie state either

I too am in New Mexico and I agree with Dennis.
I don't think there have been any problems associated with the medical marijauna.

I think that if it has medical properties, that we should be allowed to have it if necessary. But only if necessary. Just like morphine or pain patches which is for chronic pain and oxycontin. There are all kinds of narcotics and medicines that have a street value and are abused.

In fact fentynol pain patches are very valuable on the street and so is oxycontin. I know about these two for a fact having had close relatives that had to have those. The doctors are strict with them and have to fill out paper work for them and tell the patients about not letting out of possession and problems associated.

So we take advantage of all of these drugs. Why not marijuana?

Just make sure the raising of it is controlled and distributed fairly. At least try it and see if it works long term.

I have only smoked marijuana three times in my life -- the last time was in the early 1970s, sitting next to an Associate Dean at UCLA, who was also smoking. I don't buy into the danger scenario that the Hearsts created in the 30s.

There is a LOT of misunderstanding of this material -- I hate to use the word DRUG. For too long, people seem to have bundled it in with narcotics. Marijuana is NOT narcotic -- it may, perhaps, help you sleep, but it's not physically addictive, you don't have to keep taking increasing doses for the same effect, it's not a gateway drug (from what I've read), and aside from helping you relax, perhaps distorting your sense of time, and giving you the munchies - I'm not sure of ANYTHING resembling opiate effects.

I don't know how much control of this 'substance' is appropriate. Certainly, it's something that can be grown for personal use - and other than making the sale or purchase of seeds illegal, it may be hard to stop the home farmer. (In fact, the reason they call it 'weed' is because, until the laws prohibiting its use and sale, it WAS a weed, growing wild all over the place). Sales for personal use, in my opinion, should be allowed - and it would be up to the adult purchaser/user to deal with the results responsibly. Adults are able to buy and drink alcohol -- and responsible drinking doesn't cause many problems -- marijuana should be the same.

I know that medical marijuana will probably help my wife -- eventually, I'll get a certificate that I am a caregiver and be able to buy the medicinal marijuana for her.

There are a few reasons why I don't personally use marijuana. 1. It's illegal (if it isn't purchased with a prescription). 2. I didn't like the feeling the few times I took it - I didn't feel like I had complete control of my consciousness (or something), 3. I still think that one day, I'll be offered a great job - and I don't want any problems with a drug test.

---

So, for me, this medical paper is encouraging news. I think that this medical use is probably a lot more benign than strong chemicals developed by the pharmaceutical companies.

(A side note: The reason we can't legally distill alcohol is because the Feds can't get the taxes that they impose on retail booze. Is marijuana growth and use similarly restricted because there's nothing in it for the government if they allow you to grow your own?)

For what it's worth, I was a city attorney and prosecutor for nearly twenty years. The number of times i saw a connection between alcohol and crime, or alcohol and devastating injuries numbered well into the thousands. Except for the fact people were sometimes arrested for using an illegal product, I never personally observed those kinds of problems caused by the use of marijuana. On the contrary, I have seen someone dear to me whose life was completely changed for the better by this drug. This was a person who suffered devastating injuries in an accident. Over several years there were three additional surgeries and multiple prescriptions attempting to reduce debilitating pain. Medical marijuana has allowed this person to deal with the pain, and live a normal life.
ITA. I use it for anxiety and nothing works as well and is as safe IMO.

Back