LVAD - Experiences anyone?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Sarah! It would be a huge step for him to be free of pain again.

It's probably you Douglas once mentioned shortly, so please also take care of yourself.

Trinity, glad that those doctors are finally moving in a positive direction for your dad. Yea sometimes you have to ask yourself 'What were they thinking?" But as always two steps forward and one step back. You, Your Dad and the rest of your family are in my prayers.

Just to keep you all informed: The situation did not change much. The belly aches are gone, but he still got his tracheotomy, still no eating, still only partly breathing, still no talking, still ICU. We did not get far the last weeks. Still hoping...

I am very late reading this thread. Want to add my prayers for your Dad to all the others on here who are praying for him. Hope and pray everything starts to get better for him soon -- the eating, breathing, talking, and everything.

Sorry to hear this Trinity,
Everything crossed your dad starts to show an improvement soon!!
Love Sarah xxxx

@escargome
Keep reminding your dad that he has a lot to fight for and how much you all love him.
It seems as if he no longer knows what to fight for. He is deeply depressed, doesn't even WANT to move any part of his body. And my hands are tied at the moment, since I am down with a flu and cannot visit him since a week now (of course my brother is there daily). I'm probably still infectious. But even if I can visit him again - I'm not a psychiatrist, what could I do?

@Sarah & Superbob
Thanks to you both.

@escargome

It seems as if he no longer knows what to fight for. He is deeply depressed, doesn't even WANT to move any part of his body. And my hands are tied at the moment, since I am down with a flu and cannot visit him since a week now (of course my brother is there daily). I'm probably still infectious. But even if I can visit him again - I'm not a psychiatrist, what could I do?]QUOTE

Wow! It seems like he is getting tired of fighting. I know you cannot analyze him, but maybe you or someone could take newspaper, or book he might enjoy and read to him. Take photos or a family photo album and remind him of the great times you have had together. Also, maybe plan out a trip and tell him you all would like to include him in say in a year or so.
Does the hospital provide a mental health advisor that might speak with him? I wish I could give you more concrete answers.
I will definately continue to pray for your dad's recovery and for strength and peace for you and your family.

Hugs!

I hope you return to good health soon.

I agree on getting a health advisor to help if one is on staff. Is it possible to bring him music (earphones), read tohim, photos, plan something in the future. It sounds like he's having atough time, but that right now the healing is being prevented by depression and lack of wanting to improve (eating etc...). He needs a reason to live. Does he have a passion (gardening, reading, cars?) that you could keep him up to date on?

Yes, he is tired of fighting. There's a radio in the room and a TV. He refuses both of them. I would like to see one of his brothers in hospital, they haven't been three or four months now. I guess that might help, but I think they are too scared to see him that way. It's only my brother and I visiting him.

He is no longer interested in anything at all. But that also started several weeks before the surgery. He said to me that he doesn't no longer know what to fight for. I didn't know what to say.

They did not yet sent a mental health advisor. Before the surgery he refuses to talk to him. And now...it don't know if it makes sense, as my father is not able to speak.

Again as I have said before, my heart goes out to you and your family. It truly is a difficult time. Have you approached his brothers to come back and visit. I know that they likely don't want to visit as they see their own motality in him, but something or someone can provide him with the extra encouragement he so deparately needs. Like Eva, I too will dedicate prayers and ask St. Jude to intercede on your father's behalf.

No major news, but we even take the small ones :). He is a bit better, he gets moodlifter and he is at least interested in TV and radio again and is more vivid. He also feels a bit better, but there's too much water in hands and feet, although he is still at dialysis. Unfortunately there's nothing more to tell - just waiting and hoping and trying to deal with the situation.

His brothers will try to visit him tomorrow - we'll see if they are really prepared for what they would see. I bet, they do not really know.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

We'll take whatever small steps we can. At least some interest in various things is a positive sign, and usually the more positives that you get, the more they add up. Here's another prayer for more progress.

And thank you for keeping us posted.

(((Hugs)))

I hope you are feeling better too.

He's going to lose the fight today. The doctors say that he's not going to survive the day. After my last post everything changed so dramatically fast. He got a pneumonia again and sedated again. I visited him on thursday, while he was still awake. I know he recognized me, but was a bit confused. Yesterday evening we were there and I had the chance to say goodbye - of course he was still put to sleep and so he is today until he finally dies.
It's better that way. For all of us.

Thanks to all of you here, you've been a great support. Thanks for your prayers and wishes.
Very special thanks to Doug!

He's going to lose the fight today. The doctors say that he's not going to survive the day. After my last post everything changed so dramatically fast. He got a pneumonia again and sedated again. I visited him on thursday, while he was still awake. I know he recognized me, but was a bit confused. Yesterday evening we were there and I had the chance to say goodbye - of course he was still put to sleep and so he is today until he finally dies.
It's better that way. For all of us.

Thanks to all of you here, you've been a great support. Thanks for your prayers and wishes.
Very special thanks to Doug!

What a long and very difficult journey this has been for all of you. I am so sorry to hear this. Keeping you and your family close in my thoughts and prayers.

So sorry to hear this, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Jeff

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back