Lumps of scar tissue

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Norsworthy

It's been seven months since my surgery & I've developed these lumps in my chest scar. I guess they're harmless, but I don't like the way they feel. Seems like it was smoother a few months back.

If the lumps are new, I might have them looked at. When is you next doctor visit?

My scar is a bit of a mess too. The top 1/2 is a very nice, thin, barely visible line, but the bottom half over the lower sternum developed as a keloid - raised, reddish, irregular, itchy (very much so at times) and somewhat tender. It is lumpy and I THINK those lumps are over the wires. I have an outstanding dermatologist. He made absolutely nothing significant out of my scar's oddball appearance, just noting that it happens. He was willing to shoot it with steroids, which sometimes helps reduce the keloid and itchiness, but also can produce a sunken scar. I once had a bad scar from a bicycle crash. It was kinda like the keloid potion of my sternotomy scar. Over 20-30 years it faded essentially completely away. I'm hoping my current scar fades and a bit more rapidly than that. It's been over 2 years and I'd say it peaked maybe 6 months ago, but if it is fading, it's only a few per cent so far.

Hi, Ray, these are the kinds of things that its hard for us to know unless we talk about them so we can get a feel for whether or not its unusual. My own scar has healed and at two years no longer has any color and is smooth except for one bump about two thirds of the way down. I suspect these bumps are pretty common and are just bumps unless they change their size or shape by growing more prominent. Beneath my scar, there is a shallow "valley" I can feel that has been present since all the swelling went down. This is probably something for us to discuss with our family doctors. I've meant to ask mine but I seem to always forget about it during visits.

Larry

Latest posts

Back