LuckyGuy after 4.5 weeks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyGuy

I had my AVR and MVR surgery on 30 July 2009, as scheduled. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to write my valvereplacement.com friends, but frankly I've felt a bit unsettled and in limbo and wanted to have more closure before I wrote.

The surgery went just fine. Cleveland Clinic is amazing, and Dr. Lytle and staff were wonderful. Some of you may recall that I had the valve problems due to radiation therapy for lymphoma twenty-plus years ago. Dr. Lytle is one of the real experts on "Radiation Heart" and I would recommend him for anybody that needs surgery for this reason.

I travelled from Seattle for this surgery and feel that going to the Clinic and having Dr. Lytle was well worth the trip. Many patients at the Clinic are from out of town and they are very organized and used to packing those pre-operative tests into one long day a couple days before surgery.

BTW, despite telling me he'd be using St. Jude valves, he actually ended up using a Carbomedics Top Hat for the atrial replacement, and an On-X for the mitral valve.

After surgery, I had some problems with my heart rate dropping and thus was on a temporary pacemaker for most of my stay in the Clinic. Eventually that problem cleared up and I was discharged 6 days after surgery.

By the time I visited my Seattle cardiologist about 12 days after surgery, I was completely exhausted and really felt I was moving backwards instead of improving. I had a horrible, racking cough and shortness of breath whatever I did. Turned out I was in A-Fib. My cardiologist prescribed the "dreaded" Amiodorone, which despite its reputation I have not experienced any adverse side-effects from the drug. The Amiodorone eventually did the job and I've been in sinus rhythm for about two weeks, which has helped me feel better.

Nobody had any good ideas about the cough; my cardiologist suggested it was just fluid in the lungs but I felt it was more than that, despite my blood tests showing no infection. Anyways, it's taken four weeks, but the cough/respitory infection is finally starting to clear up and now I feel I can concentrate more on conditioning and recovery. I've been doing a fair amount of walking but still feel tired most of the time. I still take a nap every day, which I've actually come to enjoy :)

On the positive side, I had very little pain in my chest or sternum. I ditched the chest pillow after a day. I've had no problem sleeping, even on my side. I was off pain medications before I left the hospital (I did take the Oxycodone they gave me a few times at home, not for pain per se but to help me fall asleep when the coughing was intolerable).

Also, everybody (both medical professionals and family/friends) remarks at how neat and unobtrusive my incision is. It's very thin and tight (they call that "approximate" in the business, apparently) and has already started to fade in color. When my chest hair fully grows back it should be practically undetectable.

I'm hoping that I get cleared for Cardiac Rehab when I next see my cardiologist, that will be the right way to get back in shape and build up my strength and endurance.

It's also been interesting getting used to the valves, which are pretty loud and disconcertingly variable (they'll "pop" and "snap" for a few minutes and then they'll be quieter for a while and then who knows). I can also feel them in my chest, and that too varies quite a bit. I especially feel and hear them (in a somewhat unpleasant sensation) when I first lie down, or when I change position while lying down.

It's been a busy four weeks, with 2x/week trips to the INR, a whole medicine cabinet worth of new drugs, dealing with afib, etc. There are times when I feel I'm really "behind schedule" in my recovery, especially when I read the stories about people doing 5k races three weeks after surgery. I hate those people :)

On the other hand, I appreciate (at least intellectually, if not emotionally) how lucky I am that everything went well, how moderate and temporary my post-surgery problems have been, and that it really hasn't been that long at all. I take comfort in reading the stories here and seeing that the minor issues I've faced are common.

Despite my poor posting record, I've been reading valvereplacement.com, especially when I had a question or new drug. It's been absolutely invaluable and I want to thank you all for the time you've spent posting and helping others.

LuckyGuy: Thanks for posting how your surgery went and how your recovery is going. I am glad it is progressing well!

I read your post with particular interest since I had to replace my aortic valve and repair my mitral valve from radiation damage after Hodgkin's, 20+ years ago, just like you, and I live in Seattle as well. I had my surgery here in Seattle at Virginia Mason just 9 days before yours, and Dr Mark Hill was my surgeon. I posted a detailed post about my own recovery here.

Compared to what some others post here, I also feel my recovery is going a little slower than normal. After 7 weeks I am perhaps at 50-60% of my pre-op exercise capacity, and progress is slow. According to the latest echo, the ejection fraction is improving, but slowly. I also have a too high resting pulse at 90-100, and it seems to refuse to go much down, even with as much beta-blocker (Carvedilol) I can take without lowering BP too much. However, I am applying as much patience as I can, and continue to exercise twice daily, being happy whenever I notice an improvement.

I did a few Cardiac Rehab sessions starting at 5 weeks out to verify that my own exercises were on the right track, but will continue on my own now, since my insurance doesn't cover these. They were very useful though, and I would have continued if insurance had covered it.

I am pretty skinny, and can hear my single On-X in a quiet room with a thin T-shirt, and while lying down, especially on my left side. I can also hear louder if I breathe in fully, putting more pressure on my heart, but have no sensation of actually feeling it. I am glad I only had to replace one valve. Dr Hill said my mitral valve was in very good shape and only needed a ring to tighten it up a bit. He also said my aortic valve damage did not appear to be typical radiation damage, but it probably was without any other plausible explanation. My EKGs show a left bundle branch block, also most likely from the radiation.

Best wishes on your continued smooth recovery! Keep us updated.

Karl.

It's also been interesting getting used to the valves, which are pretty loud and disconcertingly variable (they'll "pop" and "snap" for a few minutes and then they'll be quieter for a while and then who knows). I can also feel them in my chest, and that too varies quite a bit. I especially feel and hear them (in a somewhat unpleasant sensation) when I first lie down, or when I change position while lying down.

Thanks for sharing that. It seems most people with mech valves can "hear their valve in a quiet room" but I can hear mine almost contantly. Listening to music, (even quite loud) watching a movie, or TV with the volume turned up, driving in the car with the stereo on, etc etc. The only thing that seems to drown out the sound is having a shower, so I quite enjoy that. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but there are times that I find it very annoying.

I discussed the noise issue with my surgeon before my op. It was one of the reasons I wanted an on-x, but he felt an on-x was not suitable for my small aortic root, and recomended the medtronic I got as being quieter than the st jude. I would sure hate to have a noisier valve!

I also find when I first lie down to be quite uncomfortable, and can feel and hear my valve then.

It's just nice to know I'm not completely abnormal. Thanks.

I'm 4 weeks post op today (AVR) and other than that, I'm doing quite well.

It doesn't sound like you are behind in recovery. Actually, your post reads almost like my own....after coming home I also had to deal with sudden a-fib! I was soooo upset! Ended up back in the hospital for a couple of days while they converted me. BUT it's been several weeks now and so far I haven't had an issue with a-fib again. I really went into a freaky worry mode thinking I was going to go back in!

I think things should start improving quickly for you now. Just hang in there! You will be back to normal in no time!

Mileena

Please see if they can't find something other then Amiodarone to control the Afib. If your on it for any great length of time, it will cause more damage then it's worth.

Lucky Guy & realkarl- This is bizarre. You both talk about valve damage due to radiation for different types of lymphoma.

Well, in the late 80's, I too had lymphoma. I naver had full body radiation, but did have spot radiation over a number of places in my body, before I had my bone marrow transplant in 1990.

Now what are the probabilities of three people having similar lymphoma/cardiac valve problems, and all three of us ending up on this forum??? :confused:

Well Braveheart there's four of us that had Lymphoma in our 20's here on the vr fourm, maybe more. It's not a total surprise they are finding this out now. I had chemo and radiation (radiation just on my chest area) but it runs through your whole body. Also had a lung nodule removed in 07 due to radiation. That took longer to recover then the OHS.

Congratulations Lucky Guy that you are doing much better.I was wondering what was up with you. Sorry to hear about what you've had to go through. I pray your recovering runs smoothier and you improve everyday. God Bless!

Lucky Guy & realkarl- This is bizarre. You both talk about valve damage due to radiation for different types of lymphoma.

Well, in the late 80's, I too had lymphoma. I naver had full body radiation, but did have spot radiation over a number of places in my body, before I had my bone marrow transplant in 1990.

Now what are the probabilities of three people having similar lymphoma/cardiac valve problems, and all three of us ending up on this forum??? :confused:
This isn't so strange as it may seem. I was contacted by the hospital in Norway many years ago advising me to do regular echos, and they found the initial minor leak right away. The hospital had found that many cancer survivors having undergone the type of radiation therapy they used back then, turned out to end up with heart valve damage 20+ years later. I am sure they used the same kind of radiation therapy here in the U.S. They could not know about this type of late side effects so early. At least we survived. I have never looked into what they have changed after learning about these effects, but I can imagine they now shield the heart area better if they can.

Karl.

I also have a too high resting pulse at 90-100, and it seems to refuse to go much down, even with as much beta-blocker (Carvedilol) I can take without lowering BP too much. However, I am applying as much patience as I can, and continue to exercise twice daily, being happy whenever I notice an improvement.
Karl.

Me, too, I had a high resting pulse and was put on Coreg, the brand name of Carvedilol and it lowered my BP more than my HR until I felt dizzy all day on the samllest dose. I am doing better on Toprol which I take only at night (6.75). I was told in some patients, it takes 18 months for the HR to settle down. I hope so as I am 12 months post surgery now.

Karl, you mentioned your EF is 50%...mine too! I am wondering if our hearts are beating faster to make an effort to eject enough blood!!! my 2 cents thoughts which is a question I shall ask my surgeon when I see him next week.

Lucky guy, as long as you are enjoying your naps, this is a good sign!! Before my surgery, I never enjoyed naps...I slept tired and woke up tired and it was so nice after surgery when I woke up refreshed after a nap.! As for coughing, were you using your spirometer. I kept using it at home for two months after surgery.

I hope you continue improving and feel better more and more.
As

I found your experience with Dr. Lytle and CC VERY Interesting. Somehow I missed that your are another 'radiated heart survivor'. There are around 20 or so who have passed through VR.com that I am aware of.

I'm glad to hear that he is now using On-X, especially for the Mitral Valve which is shows a significant reduction in clot formation vs. other mechanical valves, especially if/when it is necessary to stop anti-coagulation for other invasive procedures. I would be very interested in knowing why he did NOT choose the On-X valve for the Aortic Position as well...

You may want to discuss using SOTALOL (generic form of BetaPace) for controlling A-Fib. Several of our members have had good results with Sotalol. Be sure to ask about starting it while hospitalized 'just in case' you might develop a dangerous rhythm while adjusting. There is often some slight dizzyness during the first few weeks but it goes away after your body becomes used to the medication and for most, there are NO other side effects.

'AL Capshaw'

Carvedilol vs Metoprolol and heart rate

Carvedilol vs Metoprolol and heart rate

Me, too, I had a high resting pulse and was put on Coreg, the brand name of Carvedilol and it lowered my BP more than my HR until I felt dizzy all day on the samllest dose. I am doing better on Toprol which I take only at night (6.75). I was told in some patients, it takes 18 months for the HR to settle down. I hope so as I am 12 months post surgery now.
I asked my cardiologist about switching to Metoprolol, which appears to be the beta-blocker of choice for many patients on this forum, but he wrote the following: "Carvedilol is superior in protection against heart failure and in improvement in LV function. It doesn't slow down the heart rate as much as metoprolol, but that is not of any importance. "

So that makes me feel better about my current high resting heart rate. I am sure it will go down eventually.

Karl

Karl, Lucky Guy and all you others with high HR, it's so comforting to read your posts. So many people on this site have these wonderfully "normal" heart rates that you begin to feel really concerned about having a high rate. I'm 7 months post AR and am seeing some resting heart rates in the mid-70s...not all the time but often enough to give me hope it may eventually go down more.

After surgery I, too, had resting HR in the mid 90s. My cardio was not the least bit concerned; neither was my pulmonary dr. The cardio just said something like let's see what happens over the next year...and maybe he's going to be correct.

Anyhow, your posts made me feel more normally abnormal.

Midge

Back