Low Iron, Hair Loss issues post-surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivetopless

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Did any of you (especially ladies) experience hair loss post surgery? What about low iron?

I am about 1 year post op. About 6 months ago, I noticed I was starting to shed and was losing lots of hair every day. It was in the drain, on my brush, on the floor, on my clothes--very disturbing. Even my hairdresser noticed the lack of volume. It seems to be thinning all over rather than in any pattern. I figured this was from the stress of surgery and medications, etc, but it seemed to be getting worse so I went to the dermatologist last week.

I was diagnosed with low iron levels. Normal is 10-230 and I am at a 21. Does seem that this could explain the hair loss and also other symptoms I have lately (palpitations, slight dizziness on exercise, fatigue, brittle nails). I am dieting and eat almost no red meat, so that could be a contributing factor as well.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced something similar post surgery. I have a mechanical AV, and I read that could possibly cause damaged red blood cells.

Yep, absolutely. Hair loss about 3 months after MVR - even my hairdresser noticed. It was temporary, due to illness and stress.
Low iron after both MVR and AVR, if I remember correctly. Iron pills both times, even though I got transfusions after MVR.

Yep, I did lose hair and even had a little bald spot on the back of my head from laying down.
It does get better, but it is SUPER important to eat well and/or take a vitamin if needed.

I think USUALLY If your hair loss, or low Iron is because of the surgery it usually would happen much sooner than 6 months post op and would probably be pretty much back to normal this far post op. Have you checked the different meds you are on to see if either hair loss or low Iron can be a side effect?
My other thought is when they did your blood work, did they check your thyroid? Alot of the things you mention can be caused by low thyroid etc.

Hair loss post-op is always a common side effect -- of ANY kind of major surgery.
I was born with a severe underbite. When I was 17, my lower jaw was surgically broken and shortened by 3/4 inch The surgery took about 4 hours. I went through horrific hair loss -- had a bald patch the size of a quarter on the top of my head. I had very long hair, so it stuck out like a sore thumb. It was still growing back when I was a college freshman.
In contrast, I lost some hair after my MVR, but nothing like that. I have always had thick hair, and when I had my hair cut 2 weeks ago, my hairdresser (once again) told me how fortunate I was to still have very thick hair, good texture, etc. at my age.

I'm not sure iron would affect your hair. However, your thyroid certainly can affect hair growth and texture.

Drivetopless, when I read your post all could say was "THANKYOU!"
I've been going through the same thing with hair loss. I bet I have lost almost half of my hair. Like you said, it's everywhere. When I wake up in the morning there is so much hair on my pillow and sheets, it's scary. I am almost 7 months post-op, and I've noticed this hair loss for at least the past 3-4 months. I have had bloodwork done checking iron, zinc, thyroid, you name it. My doctor said it would not be the warfarin causing it, but I've read that it can cause hair loss. Anyway, I see my doctor tomorrow afternoon, so I'll let you know if any of the bloodwork was out of normal range.

My hair loss occurred well before my surgery. However, my wife was shocked to see that the hair that I have left on the side of my head turned grey overnight. The surgeon said that wasn't surprising, since he said OHS had to be among the most stressful types of surgery for your entire body.

No noticible hair loss but my iron was low for more than a year post surgery. At my last physical (1.5 years post surgery) it was finally in the normal range.

OHS does all sorts of unexpected things . . .

For those who need iron supplements, there is an iron supplement hat I have been on that is based on natural ingredients, more easily absorbable by the body, and is over-the-counter. Of all the people I have spoken to, it has had better effects on them in terms of iron absorption and lack of constipation, than most prescribed iron pills. It goes by the name of Hemoplex, by NuLife.

Just something to keep your eye open for if you are in need of it.

Palpitations, dizziness, and fatigue are all signs of anemia (low iron levels), if i where you i'd see a doc and ask to be put on iron tablets, that will probably help you a lot :)
I've been anemic a longggg time (infact must run in the family as my mam & sister also suffer from it) i've needed a few blood transfusions, latest one being 3 months after my heart op as you do loose blood therefore making you anemic,
Love Sarah xxx

For those who need iron supplements, there is an iron supplement hat I have been on that is based on natural ingredients, more easily absorbable by the body, and is over-the-counter. Of all the people I have spoken to, it has had better effects on them in terms of iron absorption and lack of constipation, than most prescribed iron pills. It goes by the name of Hemoplex, by NuLife.

Just something to keep your eye open for if you are in need of it.

I buy ferrous gluconate as an OTC supplement ...............two tablets nightly

How does Apo-Ferrous Gluconate work? What will it do for me?

Ferrous gluconate, ferrous fumarate, and ferrous sulfate belong to a group of medications known as oral iron supplements. Iron is important for the production of red blood cells. It helps red blood cells to carry oxygen to the various parts of the body. When the body does not get enough oxygen due to lack of iron, symptoms such as tiredness, shortness of breath, and learning problems may occur. This is a type of anemia called iron deficiency anemia.

Iron supplements are used to prevent and treat iron deficiency anemia.

Well I went to the doctor today for my bloodwork results, and it turns out it's my thyroid - hyperthyroidism. So that explains my hair loss and other symptoms. Iron, zinc, everything else is within the normal range. My TSH level is .05, down from .81 in Sept.

Bev- glad you got a diagnosis.

My dermatologist explained that if you are experiencing hair loss today it is probably because of a stress that happened 3 to 6 mos ago. It takes a while for it to show up.

I do have a lot of new growth (short hair growing in) all over, so hopefully this is temporary.
I'm starting Iron supplements today.
I'm also trying Nioxin 3 to help the hair regrow/be strong.

Medications can cause hair loss as well as stress. Have you been taking medications and looked at the side affects. Certain meds will cause hair loss. I still experience hair loss today, not great big clumps, just strands at a time. And I have one or two meds that causes hair loss. So check into it, you will figure it out. It is hard to cope with this, but knowing something about what might be causing is better than the not know anything. Good luck and hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back