Lovenox v. Arixtra

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to go on Lovenox for a cortisone injection to my right hip. I wrote about it a lot on this forum last month. I had to give myself injections. Yow! But I managed to do it--a personal breakthrough!

My cariologist told me to take Lovenox with Coumadin when I was returning to coumadin after the hip procedure. People on this forum warned me not to take both together, just return to coumadin. The people on this forum were RIGHT. I bled through my clothes overnight the evening after the day I took both meds at the same time. Yow! Never take the two together! (I will set my doctor straight next time I see her, believe me.) Oh, and Lovenox is VERY expensive and, in my case, I had to pay for it all out-of-pocket!!!

I know nothing about Arixtra. I will welcome someone posting about that drug.

Lovenox is a Low Molecular Weight Heparin given every 12 hours. ARIXTRA is a nonheparin anticoagulant that is given once a day. Neither were intended for heart valve patients, though they are used for bridge therapy. Both are very expensive.

I had to go on Lovenox for a cortisone injection to my right hip. I wrote about it a lot on this forum last month. I had to give myself injections. Yow! But I managed to do it--a personal breakthrough!

My cariologist told me to take Lovenox with Coumadin when I was returning to coumadin after the hip procedure. People on this forum warned me not to take both together, just return to coumadin. The people on this forum were RIGHT. I bled through my clothes overnight the evening after the day I took both meds at the same time. Yow! Never take the two together! (I will set my doctor straight next time I see her, believe me.) Oh, and Lovenox is VERY expensive and, in my case, I had to pay for it all out-of-pocket!!!

Mary, they were only doing what they WERE TAUGHT to do. What we told you is NOT WHAT THEY'RE TAUGHT. I don't think I need to explain why we told you to do what we did. Being on the receiving end of treatment trumps what they are taught in my opinion.

Being that Arixtra is NOT A HEPARIN, she should not have the same problems that Lovenox presented to you and I. She should be ok to resume Coumadin within 72 hours of the first dose of Arixtra. I don't have any personal experience with Arixtra, so I can't say positively how it will behave.

Apparently there are NO Standardized Guidelines for Bridging.

As I have written before, when I asked 3 different Heart Surgeons about their Bridging Protocols,
I got 3 different answers.

One did Not use Lovenox or Heparin Bridging. He Stopped Coumadin ?? Days before Surgery and resumed Coumadin after Surgery.

Another Stopped Coumadin ?? days before surgery, Started Lovenox 1 day later until 24 hours before surgery. He Resumed Coumadin after surgery (NO more Lovenox).

The third used Lovenox Before and After Surgery. It is necessary to balance the Bleeding Risk vs. the Stroke Risk after Surgery / Procedures. Some Doctors recommend waiting 24 to 48 hours after Surgery / Procedures before resuming Lovenox. Coumadin can be resumed shortly after surgery since it takes several days to become fully metabolized.

I know of a case where a patient was bridged with Lovenox Before, and 24 hours After, a Heart Catheterization with NO problem. Coumadin was resumed in the evening of the day of the procedure.

'AL Capshaw'

Apparently there are NO Standardized Guidelines for Bridging.

As I have written before, when I asked 3 different Heart Surgeons about their Bridging Protocols,
I got 3 different answers.

One did Not use Lovenox or Heparin Bridging. He Stopped Coumadin ?? Days before Surgery and resumed Coumadin after Surgery.

Another Stopped Coumadin ?? days before surgery, Started Lovenox 1 day later until 24 hours before surgery. He Resumed Coumadin after surgery (NO more Lovenox).

The third used Lovenox Before and After Surgery. It is necessary to balance the Bleeding Risk vs. the Stroke Risk after Surgery / Procedures. Some Doctors recommend waiting 24 to 48 hours after Surgery / Procedures before resuming Lovenox. Coumadin can be resumed shortly after surgery since it takes several days to become fully metabolized.

I know of a case where a patient was bridged with Lovenox Before, and 24 hours After, a Heart Catheterization with NO problem. Coumadin was resumed in the evening of the day of the procedure.

'AL Capshaw'

Your right, there is no standard, but your 3rd method listed is the most frequently used and the one I was taught. Yeah, I know, it's what I WAS TAUGHT, not what the Doctors were taught.

Latest posts

Back