Lovenox reaction

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soilman

After my AVR surgery in Aug., I was given lovenox injections for 3-4 days. I ended up with a HORRIBLE rash from neck to knees that didn't peak til 4-5 days after getting home. I highly suspect it was the lovenox that caused this. I looked lovenox up online and it listed rash as a possible side efffect.

Has anyone else experienced this reaction? Is there a substitute for lovenox if I ever need to go off my coumadin?

Soilman said:
After my AVR surgery in Aug., I was given lovenox injections for 3-4 days. I ended up with a HORRIBLE rash from neck to knees that didn't peak til 4-5 days after getting home. I highly suspect it was the lovenox that caused this. I looked lovenox up online and it listed rash as a possible side efffect.

Has anyone else experienced this reaction? Is there a substitute for lovenox if I ever need to go off my coumadin?

The usual alternative to Lovenox is a Heparin Drip via IV administered IN Hospital which can get REALLY BORING!

I'm not sure about any alternatives that can be used at home.

'AL Capshaw'

Al was recently hospitalized and needed to go off Coumadin. The alternative to Lovenox is Heparin, which is administered through IV. It is the only alternative that I know about. The heparin provides protection until the Coumadin can be restarted and the INR is in range.

The downside is that Coumadin has a long half life, which means it takes several days to become therapeutic. Al was hospitalized for 10 days and 9 nights.

I found this article which might be of interest to you.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/coumadin1.pdf

Kind regards,
Blanche

Latest posts

Back