Lorraine1234 is in recovery!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good news! thanks for sharing.
so glad to hear such good news
all the best to your Mom,your family and of course to you as you begin the road to her recovery

Looking better everyday

Looking better everyday

Thank you all so much for all of the continued support! Sorry I haven't updated recently. Mom is doing really well. Still in the ICU because she is still reliant on the temporary pacemaker. The docs are trying to decide whether to go ahead and implant a permanent pacemaker or not, because each day her natural heart beat/rate have been coming back some. Hopefully they will decide soon so that she can move on to a regular room, although I must admit I like the extra care she gets in the ICU. She sat in a chair and ate yesterday, which was great. Her face was extremely puffy the first two days, but now she is back to her regular sized-face (very comforting for me!). All in all, the doctors are very pleased with her recovery. She got 2 cow valves! We were almost certain they;d be mechanical, but the surgeon said the cow valves were a better fit on her crazy annuluses (annuli?). In any case, gotta run, but she's doing really well!
Loves,
Katie

Thanks for the update, Katie. Glad she is doing so well and hope she is in the regular cardiac unit soon and up and walking. Please tell her that we all have her in our thoughts and prayers.

Katie,

Glad to hear that the docs are pleased with your mom's recovery. Best wishes for continued strengthening and progression out of ICU.

I also which you well for the stressful times you are undergoing. You are a hero also.

Katie,

If you get to see the Surgeon again, I'd be VERY interested in his comments about what he found that could be attributed to Radiation Damage and how he dealt with it.

I'd also be interested in his thoughts about possible replacement of the Bovine Valves if / when they wear out (in ?? years...hopefully in the 20 year range).

'AL Capshaw'

Mom is in the step-down unit!

Mom is in the step-down unit!

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to let you know that my mom is doing really well and moved from the ICU to the cardiac step-down unit yesterday afternoon. Today she took her first steps and walked 200 ft! It is really amazing and quite miraculous. She had some conduction problems and they are not yet resolved, but are resolving more each day. So far, the docs don't think she'll need a permanent pacemaker at this time. She has a 'normal-enough' rhythm for now, and her HR is about 65-70 beats per minutes. They want her to do her breathing exercises, walk, and eat as much as she can for the next few days, so that is what she is focusing on now. She is looking great! It looks like she might be home in the early part of this coming week. I am so grateful, and happy and proud of her. Thanks so much to everyone, and I will keep you posted.
loves,
katie
p.s. Al, she will meet with her surgeon in two weeks, so we will try to find out that info. They told us these cow valves are expected to last about 30 years, by which time we are banking on some less intense procedure for having them replaced.

Very glad to hear your mom is doing so well! Hope you're bringing her some delectable treats to tempt her appetite. Here's to getting stronger and more active each day!

Best, Sona

Katie,

Appreciate the update! Glad to know your Mom is doing well.

Thoughts/prayers coming her way for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery :).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"When we stand together, it's our finest hour" ... The Judds ... 'Love Can Build A Bridge'

...And she's home!

...And she's home!

Hi there,
Mom was discharged today and is now back home! It's amazing! Can't thank everyone enough for the support. I'm sure she will be on soon enough to post about her recovery and experiences.
Again, I'm so grafetul and happy and amazed at my amazing mom.
Love,
Katie

Woo-hoo!!! Great news, Katie--congratulations to you and your mom and the whole family! :D

Katie - fantastic news - the road to 100% recovery is not short - please don't let her rush anything.
God Bless You All!
Carolyn

Wonderful news, Katie- looking forward to your Mom's first post!

Latest posts

Back