Looks like an appointment is near with surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noel

We had a call while we were out to dinner from Noel's cardiologist advising us that Dr. McGiffin at UAB would be calling us with an appointment for what she thinks is next Friday...the 27th. To say we are both nervous is stating it mildly.

Don't be nervous- just make a list of all the questions you may want to ask- a good way to keep from forgetting everything in the anxiety of the moment. A surgeon's opinion is always a good thing and you can get more than one opinion if you feel the need!

Dr. McGiffin is very good about listening to his patients and answering all of their questions so I second the recommendation to write down ALL of your concerns and questions beforehand.

Also, list any changes in SYMPTOMS you have observed over the last 6 or 12 months. Anything you think might be relevant for him to know.

I hope you have a productive and informative meeting.

'AL Capshaw'

Would any of you care to suggest some questions we need to ask? And may I ask if any of you have had both mitral and aortic valves replaced at the same time? And what should be the reasons ....say for instance if we know the aortic is also leaking but not severe...would it be an advantage or disadvantage to have them both done at the same time ...and maybe I should ask, do they even do both at the same time? Noel is very nervous. I am trying to keep a sane clear head .

Sheila2old had both mitral and aortic valves replaced about a week ago and is now happily home recovering- you might want to pm her.

Since you may not have a lot of time before your huband's surgery, may I suggest that a way to get through the anxiety and feel better about thinking clearly, is to, well, enter into a zone of acceptance. Like walking from a blustery day into a warm, cozy, comfortable room.

I've thought about this alot actually. I'm 6 months post op. I've been on the forum for 3 years. Once you can accept that things will almost certainly be okay, once you can accept the card that's been handed you....the stress melts away and you can just start putting lists and information together. The clarity just walks right in the door.

While no one can be sure of what the day will bring, please trust us that this surgery is a good thing.

Your husband will more than likely be tolerant of the pain meds and therefore not feel very much pain. Oh, it isn't fun. And there are some very outrageous moments, but they don't last long, someone figures out what's up and the recovery continues. His chance for survival is astoundingly positive. Even with 2 valves. You are going to a first rate hospital, with very experienced staff and more than likely, very caring people. Human people. People with families. People who are overworked, but who will listen. You need to remember to use these people. They are there to help you both. Listen carefully. Take notes. Bring notes.

While everything will be foreign to you, none of this is unfamiliar to them. They will help you understand and make choices. You just have to be as relaxed as you can be and you will do fine.

So try to breathe. Take some time to enjoy each other. Laugh and be close. And get as many of your "ducks in a row" as you can. But even if you miss some, it's okay. It will all be there in a few weeks.

We can tell you what to expect during the hospital stay, what to expect the first few days at home, and then the weeks following. Think of us as the Verizon Wireless people in the ads. That big group of network people who follow verizon customers around. We're right behind you!!! :D

Take care. Ask away!!

Marguerite

I am not sure which is worse, the waiting and not knowing or the quick way things went quickly down hill last February when he went from a heart cath in the early morning, to being transported to another hospital for surgery, expecting stints, and hours later learning they could not get anymore of those done and had to open him for 3 bypasses that ended after midnight...there was no time for thinking, just acting. He had a tough week with kidneys trying to shut down but then a turn around and bounced back, breezing through rehab. And feels good now...no apparent symptoms that he is aware of.
I will check out the thread and go through the questions Phyllis....I am still having trouble finding my way around this forum. :rolleyes:

I'm one of the ones that had both valves replaced at the same time. I had a severe mitral leakage and a moderate aortic leakage. I told the surgeon that I only wanted him poking around inside my chest once. So both valves were done at the same time as the aneurysm replacement and MAZE Procedure. One thing you will want to discuss with the Dr. will be the potential for damage to the nerves between the valves. In my case, the nerves were damaged resulting in total heart block and the eventual pacer installation.

Taking notes...

Taking notes...

I am reading these and taking notes...printing out as I go. I am still having problems with some of the terminology. Is there a place I educate myself as to what some of the words you all have used mean? Everyone but me seems to have this all down "pat" and here we are starting from scratch. I hope you don't mind me asking questions. :eek:

Fire away with questions! I can only give you my perspective but others here have experienced a lot more and will help out with the answers.

Noel and wife (sorry, I forgot your name and didn't find a 'signature' in this thread.

Re: Medical Terminology - I found a Paperback Medical Dictionary at a reasonable price in my local bookstore. It's been quite helpful at times.

Re: Dual Valve Replacement

You can read several personal accounts in the STORIES section. Go to the Main Page (www.ValveReplacement.com) and click on STORIES. Scroll down the to section on TWO VALVES. At least 3 of our members who have had Radiation Therapy for Hodgkins Disease have had both their Aortic and Mitral Valves replaced, including Johnny Stephens and Sheila2old.

Ask Dr. McGiffin how many dual valve replacement surgeries he has done and what he believes the additional risks are.

SEVERAL of our members have written that the WAITING is the WORST part of the whole experience so you are not alone. Hopefully Dr. McGiffin will provide clarity and understanding of Noel's 'condition', what needs to be done for it, and WHEN.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back