Looking for advice

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yiannis

Hi All,

I am new here, I am from Greece and I live in Greece.

I have an 5.2cm aneurism of the ascending aorta with a bicuspid aortic valve, and I've been told that I should have surgery soon. The measurement (aneurism) has changed the last two years and that was the reason that the cardiologist suggests me the surgery. The aortic valve is not also in a very good shape, so doctor suggests that I have to replace it. (Bentall aortic root replacement ).

I'm a 41 year old man, I am active and have no symptoms and the thoughts of post surgery and what is expected is much scarier than the surgery.

Have any of you know when is the exact time to make this surgery –Bental Aortic Valve Replacement and Ascending Aortic Aneurysm Repair or if i have other options? If so, when and which did you choose and why?
The cardiologist said to me that I am on limit, and I have to precede to the surgery but I am afraid of that, I read a lot of things about medicine (sintrom or warfwrin) and I am very scared about taking it!

Note: Sorry for my English.

Thanks in advance for your reply !
Yiannis

Yeah, it sounds as if your ready to have your aortic valve and ascending aorta replaced. It is a major surgery and kind of a rough recovery for the first week. If you read all the threads marked sticky in each of the major forum topics you'll get a lot of useful information.

You basically have two broad types of choices for a valve, mechanical vs tissue. With tissue you may never need to take warfarin but it will wear out and you'll be in the same situation again in approximately 10-15 years. With the mechanical you may never need open heart surgery again but will need to take warfarin for the rest of your life. But you may find like thousands of others here that its not that bad.

Bentall or smt new? and when?

Bentall or smt new? and when?

Thanks for your reply
I read the threads on forum and your comments and find it usefull.
As far as i understand, I think i have only one option : to replace asceding aorta and aortic valve with a mechanical one ("Bentall" procedure if i said it right) and then to deal with the warfarin - syntrom...
The question that i have in mind is :"The time" is now the right time to do this surgery or not (difficult to answer, althought it will be helpfull to reference me any articles ,threads etc related to the subject or other kind of procedures,)
Thanks
Yiannis

Hello

I have had 3 surgeries. Bicuspid aortic valve, this time I also had the aortic artery repaired due to an aneurysm. Iwish I had ever only had one surgery.

Now I am on warfarin with an ATS valve. My health is improving and hopefully I will not have a fourth surgery.

For me now where I sit warfarin is a better choice than more surgery. I think I am active.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/bad-skiing.html

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...MGE0LWJkZDYtYzRkYmExMDlmNmM2&authkey=CK6SqM8F

Personally I would choose what I have chosen. Warfarin is not a horror story as those who probably don't take it make it to be.

I have a mechanical valve and take warfarin. It really isn't a big deal being on the medication. I chose a mechanical valve based upon my age , 37 at surgery, and my preference to have only one surgery if possible.

Tom

I'm thinking you are wondering if you can wait for awhile. I wouldn't recommend waiting too long. My aneurysm was at 6 when discovered. I was scheduled for AVR and graft at that time in 1989.
My surgeon set a date 6 weeks out from my diagnosis and put me on Tenormin. When I had the surgery, my surgeon told me later that my aorta fell apart in his hands while he was trying to place the graft.
So, my aorta was in really bad shape, but they had no way of knowing this until they went into surgery. I was living on borrowed time, and didn't know it. If your cardiologist says to have it done soon, I would follow his advice!

I agree with Gail...don't wait too long. The problem can not get better on its own. The only way to fix this problem is with surgery and it's better to have surgery when it's not an emergency situation.
I am on warfarin and it has not changed my life one bit except I don't climb high ladders any more. :eek:
All will be well.

I had smaller aneurism than yours (46mm) and no symptoms as well. We did the surgery before I had symptoms to avoid having the first symptom also be the last.

Recovery is not a walk in the park, but its not crazy either. First several days are tough, but they get better every day, but day 2 you are walking, week 2, walking outside several times per day. Month 2 back at work at the very least, etc., etc. I'd be happy to give more detail but there is plenty of great info here in "Post-Surgery" forum.

Last edited:
Bentall or smt new? robotics?

Bentall or smt new? robotics?

Hi to all again

I would like, additionaly to ask if anyone knows,
1. What are the risks of this syrgery (Bentall operation - replacement of the aortic valve and ascending aorta) and
2. if i have the option of a minimally invasive procedure(not bentall)? robotics?

thanks in advance

Yiannis

If you need both the valve and aorta replaced, I think the Bentall procedure is necessary. But maybe it can be done minimally invasive, I have no idea.

My preference would be for a full sternotomy where the surgeon has plenty of room to work with.

Yannis,

Investigate the "minimally invasive" procedure thoroughly with your doctors if it is presented to you as an option. It really is not that minimal except for the sternotomy. There are more holes involved although smaller, you are under anesthesia a lot longer which can affect recovery. It is generally much more expensive and involves a bigger team. I agree the recovery is faster, but not necessarily less painful. My recovery was pretty uneventful as regards the chest area and pain was never very great. I was out of bed the next day for a short time and was sitting in a chair to eat as soon as chest tubes were out. I think that is pretty standard for most. Fortunately, I only used extra strength acetaminophen (Tylenol) as a pain reliever. This is just my experience, but wanted to let you know a standard procedure may not be as bad as imagined, especially when you are young and more able to tolerate it.

Also, just for information, I had a mechanical valve implanted and now take warfarin. I seem to be stable at an INR of around 1.8-2.5 which is the target range for my valve. This is for the last three weeks and I am at 8 weeks post-op. At seven weeks I was cleared cleared by my surgeon & cardiologist to resume whatever exercise I can tolerate and also return to lifting weights (sensibly of course) I am happy with my choices so far and very happy to be working out again.

Best of luck as you proceed.:thumbup:

Yeah, it sounds as if your ready to have your aortic valve and ascending aorta replaced. It is a major surgery and kind of a rough recovery for the first week. If you read all the threads marked sticky in each of the major forum topics you'll get a lot of useful information.

You basically have two broad types of choices for a valve, mechanical vs tissue. With tissue you may never need to take warfarin but it will wear out and you'll be in the same situation again in approximately 10-15 years. With the mechanical you may never need open heart surgery again but will need to take warfarin for the rest of your life. But you may find like thousands of others here that its not that bad.

mmm...Dear Fundy, please be careful making assumptions and providing broad statements, because you may actually confuse some folks with your well meaning and well intentioned statements. It may be better to confine your statements to your personal experience...eg, "I had a choice of a tissue or a mechanical valve, and this is what I did etc etc... There is far more involved for some patients than just a choice between tissue or mechanical etc. Yiannis is possibly one such example....it would seem that Yiannis is about to have not just a valve but also part of the aort replaced, and depending on the particular situation, there may in fact be no reasonable choice about what sort of valve to have...the particular cardiologist may in fact "highly recommend a specific mechanical valve to avoid operating on a repaired aorta every again. ....anyaway, enough of that.

Dear Yiannis, firstly I guess its just great to focus on the fact that you may soon have surgery that will repair your valve and aorta, and thats just fantastic news, and this surgery will give you a chance to live a long life which might not be possible if you don't have the surgery...so always keep that in mind.
Take it one step at a time is what I decided to do, and cross each hurdle as it comes. Everyone of us are individuals and have different experiences and some have complications from surgery, otehrs seem to breeze through. Keep asking questions as it is good to be informed, but ultimately, no one knows exactly what lies ahead. Personally speaking, my surgery was now 6 months ago, and it seems like a lifetime ago. Fortunately my aorta was ok, but it would have enlarged if my valve was left unrepaired, and the decision was made to repalce my aortic valve before the aortic root started to enlarge. My left ventricle had started to enlarge a bit, but now, at 6 months, I have just had an cardiac echo and it has already returned completely to normal dimensions. I had warfarin for 3 months, and had never taken so much as a headache tablet before in my life, but I did what I was told, and followed advice from my doctor and nursing staff, and it turned out to be uncomplicated for me...for me it was no issue at all for the short time I took it. My waarfarin level quickly stabilised and remained fairly within the target range (2.0-3.0). Previously I used to faint if I even gave blood, but now I could do my own blood test if I had to...a bit tricky but at least I wouldn't feint. I used to show the nurse where it was best to take my blood (we would alternate arms and sites all the time so my veins didn't get scarred). Anyway, I am now off warfaarin, but take a few tablets daily, to enure my blood pressure remains at the low end of normal (which helped my ventricle return to normal size quickly)....The chest has healed, and I can do push ups again easily....(but don't do this until you have the all clear), from abut 8 weeks post surgery I went to cardiac rehabilitation classes weekly, and this was fantastic...meeting other people, talking to the nurses, and exercising with experts guiding what you shoud do, and gradually increasing the exercise each week. For me, these classes were the key to quick recovery, as we had lessons on diet, exercise, stress, medications, looking after your scar, and just meeting others in the same situation. I am very very active, and really wanted to avoid long term warfarin, but in the end I just resolved myself to taking the advice from the experts. We don't know what the future knows, and warfarin may be repalced at some stage in the future....there are drugs being trialled right now, so who knows. Your long term health depends on your valve being replaced and your aorta being repaired, so focus on that, and be guided by your cardiac surgeon and the experts who will care for you. I wish you all the best. I returned to work after 8 weeks, and at 6 months I am surfing, fising, lifting weights, doing push ups, and my chest hair has grown back and no one would know that I had had life saving open heart surgery. Let us know how you get on

Yiannis,

If your cardiologist is telling you it's time for surgery, do not delay. My first surgery to replace my aortic valve and repair my aorta was at age 41. I waited until I developed symptoms and now wish I had acted sooner. I have permanent changes to my heart muscle and electrical system. Get a second opinion from another cardiologist if you need confirmation. I know the thought of surgery is frightening but it's not nearly as bad as you imagine. You can do this! Get on with it.

Thanks all for your comments, it is really helpfull and make me understand some details that I do not have in mind!!
I will see next week the surgeon in order to discuss exactly what is better to do and when, and I am sure that I will have some questions after that... so i will inform you.
And a last question: I do not know if it is better to know everything about the surgery or just leave it at the doctors hands???? what do you think?
Thanks in advace
Yiannis

It depends upon you and what makes you comfortable. Each person needs a different amount of knowledge to ease the fear. All you can really control, if you have money, is the surgeon/hospital choice. If you smoke, quit, it makes rehab from the anesthesia a lot easier. Coughing with your chest split is a pain in the chest :)

I'm a scientist type, but I did not really want to know the gritty details and was no worse for wear. My father is also a scientist type but for his bypasses he watched all the videos. My approach after investigating the issues and intellectually examining the whole thing was pretty much to "let go and let God".

All my past surgeries, none cardio, have been done at one hospital, which is where my cardiologist worked. So I chose the same hospital and they supplied the rest. My surgeon was "next up on rotation". My only other choice was valve type. I had my valve replacement in Feb; no problems worth discussing.

Latest posts

Back