Looking for advice on Tissue V Mechanical valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyj

Hi
I am going in for surgery Tuesday. When I first saw a surgeon, he recommended a mechanical valve. Because of the anti coagulant I initially opted for a tissue valve (admittedly in part because I like being able to drink alcohol). Thinking further I decided a mechanical valve would be better (and force me to improve my lifestyle, I have also given up smoking). I now have a different surgeon, who has gone further in explaining the drawbacks of a mechanical valve, he suggests with a mechanical valve certain activities should not be undertaken. So now I am uncertain again. I am 54 and not sporty, but enjoy being active with my young grandchildren doing silly things like climbing trees etc. I would appreciate any advice on the reality of living with a mechanical valve.
Thanks

Tony,

I have a tissue valve so I can't give you any advice from direct experience. But I have been a member of this forum for over 8 years so I can share what I have heard from others. Most people with mechanical valves are just as active (if not more so) then they were before their surgery. For most people being on anti-coagulants is not a big deal. You will still be able to drink alcohol in moderation as long as you are consistent and don't go on binges. I will stop there and let the members with mechanical valves fill in the details. It's kind of slow on the weekends so be patient and hopefully you will get some responses. Also I would recommend doing some searches on this topic as I know this subject has come up countless times in the past. It really all comes down to what you feel is right for you. I know, I know...it would be easier if someone could talk you into one or the other but in the end it's really up to you and your surgeon to decide.

Good luck with your surgery Tuesday!

Tony , so much of the decision is based on lifestyle, age and personal disciplne ............A heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you found the site , there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future ... I have added you to the family calendar fpr Tuesday

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...4&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...t-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...al-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies as mentioned above and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

...he suggests with a mechanical valve certain activities should not be undertaken. So now I am uncertain again. I am 54 and not sporty, but enjoy being active with my young grandchildren doing silly things like climbing trees etc. I would appreciate any advice on the reality of living with a mechanical valve.
Thanks
What "certain activities"? Sword swallowing? Eating lightbulbs? I do everything I did before surgery. I have a rather extreme car and motorcycle hobby and run open road races at VERY high speed. No problem

I would appreciate any advice on the reality of living with a mechanical valve.
Thanks

I have never found my mechanial valve or warfarin to be a "living problem". I take a pill each day, test my INR monthly and see my cardio once per year. Although it took decades for me to accept, it does appear that my initial replacement valve will be my only replacement valve.....and that is good, because I would not want to undergo OHS again.....at my age.

I have done more than my share of "silly" things with sons, grandsons, and now great-grandson with little regard to my mechanical valve. At age 54, with a tssue valve, there will be one or two additional OHS surgeries "down the road" for you.....that would be my real concern. I am seeing a lot of my "senior" friends go thru various major surgeries, for a variety of reasons, and "recovery" gets harder as we get older.

Either valve choice will improve your life.....and time with your grandkids.

I have had a mechanical valve for 6 months now. I've been in two helicopters, run every day, swim, go to gigs, out with friends, drink (in moderation) and can't think what I wouldn't be able to do about from the very obvious contact sports which I don't play anyway! I'm off to Brazil next month for work and intend to do lots more travelling this year. At your age I think both choices are fine. Just remember that if you have a tissue valve you would potentially need a replacement 15-20 years later which would be more risky when in your late 70s. However, remember that mechanical valves can also need replacing. It's not a 100% guarantee that it will last forever due to valve leaks, infection etc. However, the actually structure of any mech valve should last 200 years+. But overall.. A mechanical valve will not limit your lifestyle as much as some may have you think. It certainly hasn't for me, in fact I probably do more than most people at my age.. And I'm only 27!

hiya and welcome, looks like your doing your homework on the subject, its not an easy choice i admit, i choose tissue because of the problems warfarin can cause,and also choosing mech are not a promise you wont need re op, theres some on here now who need re ops and have mechs,saying that no valve comes with a 20yr quarantee, and whichever you pick is gonna save your life,go with your choice and dont look back,

Absolutely, it's a personal decision, but for me I never hesitated in choosing a tissue valve. I hate coumadin & I don't even like the sound of a ticking clock. It's been almost 9 mos. & if I want to do something physical (lifting weights, hiking up mountainsides, leaping tall buildings at a single bound, saving the universe, etc.) I can do it full speed & all out. Now excuse me, I have to go save some damsels in distress from the evil Snidely Whiplash.

I chose the mechanical valve. I did not want to face surgery again in my mid 70's and felt that warfarin was the lesser of two evils. I do everything I did before. I enjoy a drink now and then, ride my bicycle, ride my motorcycle and will start skiing again next year. I am not going to take up kick boxing or inline skating, but other than that I don't limit myself to anything.

The only real change I made was that I got rid of my razor blades in favor of an electric shaver.

We all have to make our own choices but in the end I think it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. Just do what you are most comfortable with.

Thanks to all who have responded. both for the information and the kind words. Just called the hospital and will be leaving in a couple of hours. So will soon be back on this site as a fully fledged member (I think mechanical for me)

Best of luck with your choice. Neither way is a bad one. My main reason for going tissue was I knew I'd need additional surgeries (I've had 4 in the last 3 years) and not being on anti-coagulation therapy makes surgery a lot less complicated. Also, I knew the ticking sound would drive me nuts. But that's something that people always get used to. Check back in and let us know how you're doing!

Things i can't do any more: Wrestle with the local HS wrestling team, oh yeah I gave that up about 7 years after the first surgery because I was getting old.

No really, I saw some dangerous things on previous posts. I am an road bicyclist. For things like these I recommend being informed. Here is what I have figured out. these are dangerous and if we bump our bodies in an accident, we will be lifeflighted to a trauma unit, maybe even if we desire not to be. With a head injury, I have had it explained that it is a confined space and with internal bleeding, there can be complications. It is a risk I am prepared to take.

I have seen a post from a guy who has a just in case I bleed bag. It has things like band-aids and ice packs as well as other first aid. For me, i carry bandaids in my wallet, however I am usually just giving those out to others that need them (mainly my daughters).

I do where gloves more while working the honey do list.

All in all, I am coming up on 2 years, it has not been bad. Bleeding happens, but not anywhere like I expected to. I have not seen unending bleeding, just abrasions that take a couple days to scab.

Good luck TonyJ. My choice was mechanical as well. I am extremely active and needed something mechanical that could keep up with me ;) Heck, I should have gotten some prosthetic arms like Jax from mortal combat while I was at it. Good luck with your surgery, cannot wait to hear from you right after.

I'm still trying to decide and leaning heavily toward the On-X. I'm a very sports active 63 year old road bicyclist, extreme hiker, volleyball player and nordic skier. My problem is my wife, whenever I bring up mechanical valve benefits but with coumadin use she becomes very upset and cries becaue she has heard bad things about an acquantence who is on coumadin. Driving me nuts. :frown2:

Tom

Personal experiences are hard to put into perspective, even if it's a 1-in-a-1000 thing, with all the other experiences. You can try to sort through this logically, but it's very, very hard to properly weight all the potential factors that go into the assessment of tissue versus mechanical. It's essentially a personal judgment call as to which risk means more to you. I tried to make my choice based on "science", but I can't say the answer I came to was definitive. Seemed so when I made it the night before surgery, and I'm very happy with it, but I don't feel I can promote it without a bunch of disclaimers about what is still just not well known. And I do question some of the advice others offer as something concrete when it is more bias than fact.

Hi All
I'm back with a mechanical, feeling ok. Looking for all the nonsense to buy now. Safe box for medicine. Electric razor (never used one in my life, now too scared to wet shave). Surgery was an absolute doddle for me. I was awake joking with the wife within a few hours. Only delayed leaving hospital due to IMR or I could have been home last Friday. So now wonder if tissue may have been ok, however I'm not sure I would really look forward to going through it again in 10 years or so. I did see some of the other patients and know I got off lightly.

Thanks for everyones support, may start another thread to share my experience of the process

Excellent news. I haven't made a valve choice yet. Do they tell you that you shouldn't shave with a normal razor when on Coumadin? I do cut myself now and then.

No not specifically, but I tend to cut myself when using a new blade. So dont want the aggravation of trying to stop the bleading before trying to head out to work and thought going for an electric may be the easiest option. Looking into electric razors you can get electric razors that yoy can still use as a wet shave. Best of luck with the surgery. Do as much research as you can on valve type. I am now not sure I made the right choice (I had wasted time not doing it until I got a date, then found I only had 3 days notice). The very worst part is the day before.

Great news Tony and you sound great. I know I have a tissue valve but the summer before my surgery I was on Coumadin for 3 months because I had A-Flutter and they found a clot in my heart. Anyway, I have a very thick beard and hadn't gotten good results with a variety of electric shavers in the past. I continued using a razor while on Coumadin and the few times I nicked myself shaving I couldn't tell any difference than when I wasn't on Coumadin. Also, during the time I was using an electric shaver I drew blood on occasion...it can happen.

Funny story...while I was in the hospital the nurse said I needed to use an electric shaver so I wouldn't cut myself shaving. Knowing what I know about Coumadin as a long time member of this site I said sarcastically "will I bleed to death if I cut myself shaving?" She said in a serious tone "you might" and I just started laughing and shaking my head.

Latest posts

Back