Long Distance Commute Post Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just drive to a close by place to rest if the hospital is far. that's just how I feel. I didn't feel too comfortable being in the car for the 10 minutes I had to travel.

Aaron- We flew non-stop on a commuter jet from Boston to Raleigh, NC, on day 9 after AVR using wheelchair help at both ends in the airport. Our daughter (and dog) met us there for the 1 1/2 hour drive home (with me in the back seat). I was ok, but tired- glad that was it for the day! I can't imagine a cross-country jaunt! I had no bumps in the road, but if I had had any, it would have been much more tiring.......... I vote for flying :)

Traveling home after heart surgery...

Traveling home after heart surgery...

I had my first heart surgery in Houston Texas and we drove there and back from the midwest--though not as far as you are considering. It was an extremely painful and difficult return trip for me, as strictly a passenger. My incision at that time was an enormous one through my back, however, and not through my sternum.

Fortunately, I had no complications other than my incision coming open on one end. But that was very uncomfortable. I should mention too that this first surgery, repair of a coarctation, did not cause nearly the assault to my heart as the valve replacement surgery did.

My last heart surgery was at a hospital nearly three hours from our home, through mostly very heavy traffic. Ideally, a patient is supposed to get out and walk a little bit for every hour driving home. I just wanted to get home though so we didn't stop. As instructed, however, I had a large pillow between my chest and the seat belt, for protection in case of an airbag deployment, etc. We're also instructed to move our toes and feet and such, similar to exercises during lengthy flights, when traveling post-op.

[I'm adding a brief explanatory edit here - My surgeon didn't allow me to drive for eight weeks post-op and he wanted me, as a passenger, to use that large pillow for added protection from airbag deployment for the eight weeks also.]

From what I've read here, Aaron, it seems that many patients have some kind of post-op issue that sometimes may need at least a brief rehospitalization. Our local hospital is very crummy and I refused to go there for post-op A-fib/A-flutter and we really didn't want to drag back up to the city for treatment but we eventually had to do that, returning to the original hospital for a four-day rehospitalization.

So, you may want to be prepared with an experienced and well-informed local cardio and a skilled local hospital, if you choose to do that long travel, in case you should develop some post-op condition.

Hi there,
just a note from our experience....a for what it is worth really....
Rob had his surgery on 7/16/08 and it is possible that he may have to fly in November. The medical staff that I was chatting with strongly discouraged it due to the lack of oxygen during flying and the possibilities of blood clots. They suggested taking a train....but again, that is 4 months after the operation. Again, just a for what it is worth...everyone's situation is different.
Good luck with this as I know every part of before surgery was much more difficult than after surgery for us. The decisions are the toughest...
Nancy

I was permitted to fly a three hour non-stop domestic flight when I was a little more than 3 1/2 months post op for a vacation. We were lucky there were no delays and all went smoothly. I would have hated (more than usual :) ) if we were held on the runway or delayed boarding etc

We've read here in this thread and many times in the past that many folks fly post op. Some leave the hospital, overnight nearby and fly home the next day.

The biggest thing is not lifting, no straining.
A two day car trip seems so way far over the top I can't even fathom it.
I forget the poster's name who said he will be in a large RV and that is very different. He can stretch out and have use of a restroom. Even still, being on the road will be tiring.

Just being driven home from Mass General to my home in Massachusetts was a drain and tired me. I slept for two hours immediately after getting in our home.

Just wondering what you guys think about driving after OHS. Let's say cross country driving from Texas to Michigan. Will I be so exhausted that I won't be able to deal with it?

Post Surgery driving?.... Think Pain Meds=DUI!

Very good point :)

I'm really just wondering if I can make it home as a passenger in a car. I had a pretty bad flight experience one time so now I'm all hesitant to fly.

Did you read ALL of the 40 some responses you received above?

Did you contact ANY of the people who Flew Home after Surgery?

Did you contact ANY of the people who RODE Home in vehicles for several hours / days after surgery?

It seems to me that you are FREAKING Yourself Out
leaving yourself PARALYZED.

What am I missing?

'AL Capshaw'

Aaron- I just read your question to my hubby (cardio) and he said,"Well, all I can say, is, he might survive!" I questioned him immediately and said something to the effect that that he must be joking. He went on about the very real possibility of blood clots from such a long time in a vehicle (riding in the back seat-or where there is no air bag) and any number of other problems........... plus he thought you would be weary to a degree you had never before experienced.

Aaron-

Here's what the Society of Thoracic Surgeons says:

Driving: You can ride as a passenger in a car at any time. Avoid driving, outdoor bicycling, or motorcycle riding for 6 weeks after surgery. This time period is recommended to allow your breastbone (sternum) to heal. Also your movements might be limited and slow before the 6 weeks are up. When traveling, be sure to get out of the car every 2 hours and walk around for a few minutes.

My answer is, yes you will be tired and you might be uncomfortable, but if you are anywhere else a week after surgery, you will also be tired and you might be uncomfortable. I personally had no problems with the seatbelt at that time because my chest was still numb from the cutting. Most shoulder harnesses can be loosened and locked so they aren't so tight. If they are needed, they will tighten up. Worrying about "What if the airbags deploy?" is ridiculous. That could happen in the ride to the airport as well. "What if the plane crashed?" "What if someone pushed into you or fell on you in the crowded plane?" "What if a suitcase fell out of the overhead compartment onto your chest?" "What if a maniac decided to use you as cover while hijacking the plane?"

Adults in the backseat are not required to wear seatbelts in Texas, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan (as well as most other states), which are the states you will probably be driving through. So, if the seatbelt becomes too uncomfortable, you can take it off, and you can also lie down if you are tired. (These were the laws as of 2006).

Like I said before, if you give yourself plenty of time to get home, and don't try to make it in 1-2 days, I think you will be fine.

Even though Aaron used the word driving in his first post, he clarified it later that he would be a passenger. If he is planning to actually drive, my advice would be totally different and summed up into 3 words, "Don't be stupid."

Aaron-

Adults in the backseat are not required to wear seatbelts in Texas, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan (as well as most other states), which are the states you will probably be driving through. So, if the seatbelt becomes too uncomfortable, you can take it off, and you can also lie down if you are tired. (These were the laws as of 2006).

Or you can just use the lap belt part.

Remember when backseat seat belts were only lap belts? (Remember when FRONT seat seat belts were only lap belts?) ((Remember when seat belts were at OPTION, like air conditioning?)) (Okay, I don't actually remember that last one, but my parents do!)

Aaron --

The I think about it, the more I think you should be like Queenie and rent an RV. With a recliner.

1.) Recliners are the overwhelming choice for post-surgical sleeping.

2.) You can get up and walk around at any time.

3.) You will reduce your exposure to germy people because you don't have to go into public restrooms, which are usually in convenience stores, highway rest stops and fast-food restaurants.

4.) It will be easy to have healthy food with you and keep meds cold, if you need cold meds.

Driving will be necessary no matter where you have surgery - the only difference is how long a drive. If you fly, you have to get to the airport from the hospital and home from the airport, in some places that can be hours.

I LOVE the RV suggestion. With a careful driver and major highways, the trip should be relatively smooth. You will have access to a bathroom, bed and food. You can walk around if you are very careful, even while on the road. I would still plan on stopping every couple of hours tho just to get the blood moving in different areas.

You could probably rent an RV, even with fuel prices, for about the same as a plane ticket and, even if it cost more, the peace of mind would be worth it. I am not a good flyer either but I love road trips so it's not an issue for me.

A train trip would also be good but I would worry about quick access to a hospital if needed - if you were driving on main road, that would not be a problem.

I wish you well. Any choice you make will be a bit tough so choose carefully.

Aaron:

What was your bad experience flying? I've had a couple -- getting airsick once :eek:, aborted landings, rough landings. But I still fly. I stayed close to home for my surgery, but flew about 6 weeks post-op.

Other than having to have frequent stops so you can stretch your legs (to avoid clots soon after surgery), you shouldn't have problems with a drive back to MI after surgery. That is, barring any problems immediately post-op.
If you can identify major hospitals on the route back to MI and put them into a GPS, that would help. The trip could be a "vacation" of sorts. You'd be uncomfortable at home, you could be uncomfortable in a car just as well.
Regardless of physical condition, travel is tiring. However, you could bring a DVD player & some movies. If you get sleepy, go to sleep. Stop every couple of hours and walk for 20 minutes. Make sure you stay hydrated. Take a cooler with some tasty snacks (fresh fruit, soft drinks, etc.). Plan your overnight stays ahead of time. I think you could make 6 hours a day, maybe even 8 depending on how well the surgery goes.

Go where your heart tells you it will get fixed the best.

I will just mention again that my surgeon was seriously concerned about airbag deployment, whether from high speed crashes or low speed impacts.

It's not a ridiculous notion; they can cause major injury--or worse--to a new OHS patient.

-----------------------------------------------

Edit - In fact I just now noticed this post from a simultaneous thread:

Zipper:

Hope your mom is feeling better today. That was a very scary experience for all involved.

Airbags save lives but can also cause missed injuries. These are caused by your body's forward motion being stopped by the airbag. Your heart can be bruised, you can suffer tears in the aorta or injuries to other parts of your heart.

My husband required MV repair 14 months ago because of an airbag injury. The airbag had fractured his sternum. John refused to go to the hospital the day of the accident, but was hurting so much the next day that I took him. The fracture was diagnosed, but no one knew that at least one knew that at least one MV chordae had been ruptured for another 6-7 months. The surgeon's reports indicated that the injury was consistent with an airbag injury, and his PA said that they frequently see patients with airbag injuries.

If your mom continues to have pain, you may want to suggest that your mom go back to the hospital to rule out unseen internal injuries -- CAT scan, MRI, whatever.
The only tests John had when he went to the ER was a chest X-ray. If we ever have a car accident again and the airbag goes off, I will insist on something more than a simple chest X-ray.

I will just mention again that my surgeon was seriously concerned about airbag deployment, whether from high speed crashes or low speed impacts.

It's not a ridiculous notion; they can cause major injury--or worse--to a new OHS patient.

Justin was a passenger in a car 7 weeks after surgery were an air bag hit him. IT was a pretty big concern even that far out. Luckily he was ok.

My point exactly Lyn. It could happen any time. As they say, statistics show that most accidents occur within 15 miles of your home. Most cars on the road are not equipped with side airbags, so that isn't an issue in the backseat.

Aaron,
First I see nothing wrong with going to Texas if that is what you want.
But as Al mentioned you have one of the top heart centers in the world right here in Michigan. I think Al might have been referring to me about the stats regarding Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak. They have done more heart surgeries than ANY hospital including the Cleveland Clinic and have a great success rate as well. I am originally from Cleveland and could have easily gone to the CC, and even could have stayed with extended family still living there. But I found the best was right here in my backyard. Heck they even did the first successful valve replacement thru a catheter, and I have met that patient and he is doing just fine to this day.
At any rate here is wishing you the best and a safe trip home no matter how you do it.
Rich

Latest posts

Back