Long Distance Commute Post Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff Man

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Just wondering what you guys think about driving after OHS. Let's say cross country driving from Texas to Michigan. Will I be so exhausted that I won't be able to deal with it?

I'm asking for my self, but also for members that might have this question in the future.

Why would you want to put yourself through that torture? A road trip is fun, yes, but also very tiring. Naps are such a good thing after surgery, not to be spoiled by road bumps and traffic jams, even if you aren't the driver. At four months after surgery, I was iffy for a three hour trip (to Saginaw and back). At about seven months, I made a trip to Wisconsin, definitely on a trial basis, and I was quite tired from that. Save the pleasure drives for later.

Aaron I'm not kidding the least bit when I say this surgery will knock the wind out of your sails. Your going to very weak, very tired, and just to do day to day things is going to require ever bit of energy you can muster. This is going to last about 4 to 6 weeks before you even begin to feel like doing anything.

You can fly, but your insane if you even consider it right after surgery. If you do fly, better make sure it's a nonstop flight because your not going to be up to change overs. There is a reason we ask people if they got the license plate number of the truck that hit them.

I know one member that drove themselves home after surgery.....A stupid thing to consider/do....if I can get in touch with them I will ask them to share their story.

You can fly, but your insane if you even consider it right after surgery. If you do fly, better make sure it's a nonstop flight because your not going to be up to change overs. There is a reason we ask people if they got the license plate number of the truck that hit them.

Hi there,
just a note from our experience....a for what it is worth really....
Rob had his surgery on 7/16/08 and it is possible that he may have to fly in November. The medical staff that I was chatting with strongly discouraged it due to the lack of oxygen during flying and the possibilities of blood clots. They suggested taking a train....but again, that is 4 months after the operation. Again, just a for what it is worth...everyone's situation is different.
Good luck with this as I know every part of before surgery was much more difficult than after surgery for us. The decisions are the toughest...
Nancy

We've had SEVERAL members FLY home after their surgery in other states. Usually they stay a few days to a week in a hotel near their hospital 'just to be sure' everything is OK before flying home.

Christina L had her surgery at Cleveland Clinic in Ohio,
then flew home to Colorado.

Harleygirl### had her surgery in Los Angeles, CA,
then flew home to Washington State.

CHDDoug had his surgery at Baylor in Plano, TX then RODE home (land vehicle) to Murfreesboro, TN (SE of Nashville).

Sheila2old had surgery at Emory in Atlanta, GA
followed by a 4 hour ride home.

I'm sure there are more.
Those are just the ones I remember at this time.

Click on their screen names (Members List) to find posts by those individuals. It may take some digging to find their posts which detail their trips, or simply PM them with your question(s).

MOST Surgeons will recommend getting up (or out) to WALK for 5 minutes every hour or so to prevent CLOTS from forming in your legs. The flyers ALL recommend calling the airline(s) to request a Wheel Chair at each airport (including intermediate airports w/flight changes).

There is NO WAY you can do the driving yourself and your Surgeon WILL NOT approve driving for several weeks (typically 6 weeks but they often relent at 4 weeks to get to checkups). It is BEST to ride in the Back Seat, especially if your vehicle(s) have airbags for all front seat positions.

'AL Capshaw'

Aaron --

Many people are cleared to fly a few weeks after surgery. I know this because I know people who did it. The problem is that they all caught various types of illnesses. Flying is a great way to get sick! Personally, being almost four weeks out of surgery, the thought of a road trip is way more appealing than flying. Flying sounds awful! I don't blame you for wanting to drive back home instead of flying.

I am assuming that you have a leisurely road trip back in mind. You definitely need a driver! You need to totally trust everyone that it would be highly unlikely that you will be successful driving all by yourself, even if you are able to drive for short periods. Renting a comfortable, cushy van or RV would probably be the best option, although maybe you would be more comfortable in a regular car with egonomically-correct sports seats.
This is something you won't know until a few weeks after your surgery.

You will need to carefully plan a route back with very regular stops to get out and walk around as well as hotel stops that let you get plenty of rest. One problem that you will have is sleeping; as you know from reading this forum, most people sleep in recliners or adjustable beds after surgery. High wedge pillows are a possibility, although I don't know if others have really liked them; they weren't good for me.

Also, very importantly, your route will have to stay to the interstate and high-populated areas as much as possible so that you can quickly get to a good hospital in case of emergency. This will not be a time to get your kicks on Route 66.

I wonder if the websites of popular "destination hospitals" have more info about traveling back home after surgery. Examples of the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic (specificially for hearts) and other hospitals that have people travel for other reasons, like Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. Maybe I'll ask my Dad on your behalf; he is a doctor at Henry Ford, and they have people come in from all over the world for various types of transplants.

Good question Aaron, Now I am wondering if my plan to drive from Orlando to the hospital is sound.

My best friend lives down there and would drive me home next week after the AVR, it is about 4 hours. And I would fly him home.

Would I be better off flying down and back? That is only a 45 minute flight. I guess that may be more comfortable, except walking through 2 large airports!

Keep smiling,

CJ

I flew from Dallas to Denver 6 days after my surgery. My surgery was minimally invasive, meaning I didn't have the incision down the front. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I posted prior to surgery and there were plenty of people who responded who also flew and didn't have a problem. Some may have had a long car ride as well, I don't remember. Following the almost two hours in a plane I had another two hours in a car to get back home. I was tired, but not wiped out. I took full advantage of the wheel chairs in the airports at both ends of the flights and the nice man who "drove" the wheelchair at the Dallas end even helped my husband and me get our nine year old twins and bags through security!

I flew from Dallas to Denver 6 days after my surgery. My surgery was minimally invasive, meaning I didn't have the incision down the front. I don't know if that makes a difference...

Yes, it makes a HUGE difference, not having a broken sternum! In fact, most people with open-heart surgery are still in the hospital six days after surgery.

If you drive, you will have to contend with a shoulder harness and seat belt the entire trip.
I had a two and a half hour trip home after my replacement, and it was hard to get comfortable. I would venture a guess that a 3-4 hour trip by car, 5-6 days after surgery, is do able, but I wouldn't want to do it!

I flew home from Minn. to NC 9 days after my surgery. I used a wheel chair throughout the airport as I was instructed to do by my Dr. It really was not a problem. However, I was worn out by the time we got home. I can't even begin to imagine trying to drive that distance after surgery. Two weeks after surgery, I rode 2 hours to a soccer tournament and I don't think I would have wanted to go any further.

I know Ross had a really rough time after his surgeries, however, not all of us do and you may recover quickly. Unfortunately, you just won't know until it is over.

Kim

Aaron. How long of a drive is it?

Someone else will be driving. That's that.

You will want to have some soft squishy pillows to cover your chest under the seat belt. You will not want to wander on the back roads, but rather stay on freeways as was mentioned, as a good hospital close by will be essential (especially, maybe, for someone like yourself who likes to know what every odd sensation is about). You will need to get up and walk around every few hours at a rest stop (gotta keep that blood circulating). Otherwise, if the seat reclines and you have enough pillows and you can sleep.... I guess it sounds better than trying to wait in those awful and uncertain lines at the airport. Motels? Surely you won't be camping.

You will be ridiculously exhausted...for weeks. Of course, that will wear off. But there is no fighting it. Many of us cannot even open the refrigerator door or unscrew the caps on our medicine bottles the first few days home (and this is after 4-7 days in hospital).

It is very awkward getting in an out of a car (of course, ours was a BMW so low...stepping up into an SUV type would be easier). Twisting and turning and ducking and leaning...all lousy and un-fun movements.

I think checking with the hospital for their opinion and suggestions is a great idea.

Best wishes.

Marguerite

You could just stay in Michigan for the surgery, couldn't you? I don't know anything about Lansing hospitals, but there are good hospitals in Flint, Royal Oak, and Ann Arbor.

Latest posts

Back