Liver & Onions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponygirlmom

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I need to increase my iron, so the very first meal I've cooked all by myself after surgery is this!

You'll need:

Sliced beef liver
Mild onions (I used Vidalia)
Salt
Pepper
Sugar
Flour
Oil

1. Cook onions. I like lots of onions with my liver. If you're not a big fan of sauteed onions, cook a minimal amount -- enough to give flavor to the oil in the pan. Here's how:

a.) Put sliced onions in oil in a large sautee pan or chicken fryer. Set heat to medium. As the pan heats up, stir in a minimal amount of salt, pepper and sugar. You will add more salt and pepper to taste as they onions cook.

b.) When the pan reaches it's full heat (you want a faint sizzle going) cover. Check and stir onions every five minutes until they are as done as you like them. I like them carmelized, so it takes a long time for me! Add seasonings as you go.

c.) When onions are about done, especially if you want them carmelized, remove lid and cook for five more minutes. Then remove onions and put them in a covered serving dish.

2. While onions are cooking, put some flour, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste, in a container or dish. You need just enough for a light dusting on on your liver pieces.

3. Once onions are done and removed from the pan, you will probably need to add a little more oil to the pan. Bring back to medium heat.

4. An optional step is to salt the liver pieces prior to dusting them with the flour mixture.

5. Don't crowd your liver! This is why you use a big pan, and you'll probably do two or three batches. Once the liver is lightly covered in flour, place in your pan and cover. Cook the first side for five minutes. Turn with tongs, cover again, and cook the second side for 3 minutes.

6. The timing above gives you liver that is soft and brown throughout. If you like liver that is pink inside, reduce cooking times. If you like liver to be firmer and perhaps crusty on the outside, raise the temperature.

Liver...yuck...just kidding, I ate chicken livers once, loved them till I found out what they were... :)

OMG! that's my favorite meal! And I can't eat it anymore. It is high in cholesterol (probably highest of all meats) and that's not good to/for me.

over the weekend we frequented restaurants in Ga and two of them featured liver/onions - the meal I used to order all the time. I have not seen it on menus for years. Maybe they are bringing it back! It was so tempting but I behaved. Bon apetit

Ack! I guess I was forever turned off on liver 'n onions because the school cafeteria served up its version of that dish regularly 100 years ago (okay, not quite 100 years, but seems like it. :) Anyway, I bet that. fixed your way, they are at least palatable. :)

I love the smell of liver and onions cooking, but I don't like liver.....My mom, dad and sisters loved it when we were kids.

I love the smell of liver and onions cooking, but I don't like liver.....My mom, dad and sisters loved it when we were kids.

I think it depends on whether it's calves or beef liver or regular beef liver.
Years ago, I learned to cook liver & onions for a boyfriend who loved it. He said to use only calves liver, that it was more tender. It was OK, but I never developed a lifelong love affair for liver & onions.

If you want to get rid of the bitter taste, soak it in milk for an hour or two before cooking. Not only does it get rid of the bitterness, but makes it really tender too.

Try lambs liver instead of beef, yum. A generous glug of Worcester Sauce (is it N. American available??) in with the onion gravy adds to flavour. Some thin slices of streaky bacon go well with it. Must be served with buttery mashed potatoe. :) :) Help I'm salivating. :D Sugar in the onions!!!! Why??? Keep it savoury, not sweet.

Try lambs liver instead of beef, yum.... Sugar in the onions!!!! Why???

Ah, you must be from Australia, where they have lots of lamb! It's harder to get lamb here. Generally it's imported. I've only seen roasts and chops, never liver. Now I'm sad!

The onions don't turn out sweet in the end. The problem with my recipes is that I write them out without figuring out the measurements, so that if the reader is not familiar with the technique, they might think I'm putting in a cup of sugar or something. (Although I did say "minimal amount"!)

Ah, you must be from Australia, where they have lots of lamb! It's harder to get lamb here. Generally it's imported. I've only seen roasts and chops, never liver. Now I'm sad!

Australia, :confused: no Yorkshire, UK. The Yorkshire Dales is sheep country. The upland grass is too short for beef to eat, whereas sheep do well.

sheep;%20lambs;%20burnsall;%20yorkshire;%20spring;new;life%20032.JPG

Try lambs liver instead of beef, yum. A generous glug of Worcester Sauce (is it N. American available??) in with the onion gravy adds to flavour. Some thin slices of streaky bacon go well with it. Must be served with buttery mashed potatoe. :) :) Help I'm salivating. :D Sugar in the onions!!!! Why??? Keep it savoury, not sweet.

Do you mean Worcestershire sauce? There's a whole county and a large city in Massachusetts, USA called Worcester (pronounced "Whoosh-ter" by some natives) that takes credit for it! Maybe they did develop it; there probably is a Worcester(shire) in the UK somewhere that says the same thing. A little bit of balsamic vinegar works well for those who don't like the tamarind taste of Worcestershire sauce.

Also, the hotter the onion, the sweeter it is when you cook it, although you have to go a long way to beat the Vidalias and Walla-Wallas for sweetness. People eat them like apples!

My husband likes goat a lot, and there are some places to get it due to the large Hispanic population. They say the liver tastes even better than lamb's liver. Goats are a good desert animal, too. I guess this is the West, though. Beef is king, here.

I know about animal cruelty in some places when it comes to fois-gras; Chicago has banned it outright. I don't eat it on principle if the animal was force-fed, but I sure did like it the one time I had it.

Nicer weather sticking around in Idaho,
-Laura

Do you mean Worcestershire sauce? There's a whole county and a large city in Massachusetts, USA called Worcester (pronounced "Whoosh-ter" by some natives) that takes credit for it! Maybe they did develop it; there probably is a Worcester(shire) in the UK somewhere that says the same thing.

We Brits claim credit for Worcester Sauce. Although it seems we may have stolen the recipe from India. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcestershire_sauce

My husband likes goat a lot, and there are some places to get it due to the large Hispanic population. They say the liver tastes even better than lamb's liver. Goats are a good desert animal, too. I guess this is the West, though. Beef is king, here.
-Laura

Yes goat is good tasty meat. Once ate it spit roasted over a camp fire in Africa. :) Haven't tried the liver though, would like to.

OK guys, I can get the liver and onions down. However, I am not eating anything from a goat, except cheese...maybe. Bina dear, secure your goats. :eek:;)

I once saw a goat on a spit. It looked way too much like a dog. Pretty much if the food looks like the original animal, I don't eat it. No fish staring up at me. No doves or other small birds. No roast pig. I buy my meat cut up so I can pretend that it was grown in a field or laboratory!

I like liver, although I don't eat it very much. Every now I then I get fried chicken livers from Hartz. I read a while back that the level of pollutants in the air, and the liver's role in filtering blood, causes it to be almost toxic!

Bina, take a look at these goat like creatures.

muflon.jpg

They are in fact Cypriot mountain sheep. So how do you tell the sheep from the goats?

Latest posts

Back