Light Sensitivity (bright sun/flourescent lighting)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razewsda

My mitral valve replacement was in March 2013 and with some other health issues, it was not until after Labor Day 2013 that I consider getting back to normal "started" - I go to the gym daily, work part time - do almost anything I want . I have noticed an increased sensitivity to light - borders of objects in view lack clarity (kind of fuzzy "aura") , color distortion ( my brown age spots look red) - none of this lasts a long time but is somewhat disconcerting and impacts some of my recreational sports. Some ot the meds I take ( ex metaprolol tartrate) list light sensitivity and I'm pretty sure its the main cause. I don't wear prescription glasses ( reading glasses - yes) - regular sunglasses help a little but not enough. Soliciting any advice - thanks

I haven't noticed light sensitivity, but my vision definitely isn't as good. (I rarely used reading glasses and now I even have problems with a menu.) I was on Metoprolol and Amiodarone for about a month - both can affect your vision. I'm planning to go for an eye exam so they can make sure there isn't any physical change causing problems. It's pretty rare, but it's better to play it safe. Be sure to let them know what medications you're on (your profile lists two that can affect vision).

Since surgery last January I have been experiencing all sorts of visual problems: streaks/spots of silver crossing vision, migraine auras (zigzagging pattern of light filling vision) without headache, and double vision. I discovered from a science article that this can be an effect of the heart lung machine. When I saw my cardiologist for review this last Thursday he suggested I see a neurologist just to check things so I expect I will, but reading up on this I doubt he will find anything. I'm not on any beta blockers.

I have had the same issues as Paleogirl spoke with the doc and cardiologist they don't know what to make of it. Personally I think I need to stay hydrated and that helps, also some foods like chocolate are triggers. Interesting problem as the cardiologist told me he doesn't know that there is a connection with this condition and the surgery that he knows of.

Hi John - I spoke again to my cardiologist and also to my GP. Cardiologist still says I could see a neurologist but GP, who is actually very clever and has a lot of common sense, doesn't think it's worth seeing a neuro. I don't either, becasue there are so many of us with this post-surgery, see this thread I started which had link to previous forum and big thread about it: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...964-visual-problems-following-cardiac-surgery If I see a neuro all he'll be able to do is an MRI which won't show anything since this seems to be what's called 'silent migraines' or 'ocular migraines' which are set off by the surgery/heart lung machine. If the visual problems get distressing or cause major problems I would see a neuro.

Hi, I had not heard about the heart lung machine setting off ocular migranes. the interesting thing is that I stopped getting migraine headaches after my surgery, what an unexpected relief. I do suffer slightly from the migraine now and then but nothing like prior to the surgery. Ocular migraines come and go, definitely set off but certain foods and like of water.

I had this problem intermittently for a few years before surgery and I really believe it was from artificial sweeteners in foods like yogurt. I'm a scientist in real life, so I look at a lot in internet info with a wary eye. Having said that, I found that for me there was some correlation with the aspartame and the vision problems. I did have some horrific blurred vision in the first few weeks after surgery. At the time, I thought it was the statin that I started just after surgery. It probably wasn't, but more likely just my desire to identify a cause I could easily eliminate.

You might be interested in this article from Science Daily Neurological complications of heart surgery: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0813142455.htm which mentions visual disturbances following surgery: "Possible neurological complications of heart surgery, ranging from headaches to strokes, are detailed in a new report. For example, complications from bypass surgery can include vision problems, paralysis, hoarseness, movement disorders and disturbances in learning, memory, attention, concentration and mental agility."

I don't eat any processed or junk foods. I cook all my food from scratch, I even make my own yoghurt (don't need it sweetened). I've been getting those visual problems post surgery and there are no triggers (apart from the surgery !) - I even woke up in the middle of the night and found I was part way through a migraine aura ! When I used to be pre-menstrual I would get migraine headaches preceded by auras and that was completely associated with hormones - no hormones now, just the effects of the heart lung machine - no headaches now, just the visual problems.

In one of my medications there is aspartame so there is heaps of discussion about it on the health forum I am on as some consider it 'dangerous' , so I certainly have looked into it as something to be wary of. I discovered that there are a lot of myths about it. Mind you, anyone can be sensitive to any substance anyway (eg, my son is highly allergic to arnica which is in a lot of health medications). Here's a good article by a very esteemed diabetic about aspartame: http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com.au...aspartame.html

Latest posts

Back