Light Headed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumpy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Well, day nine post AVR replacement and got out of bed this morning, stood up quickly and very nearly passed out.

Things have been going really well and I've been adding distance daily to my walks. I am hoping that I've just overdone things lately and this is just a reminder to slow down.

I meet the surgeon tomorrow and I'll let him know about the near syncope episode. I know they don't do echoes for a while so I don't think he'll be able to tell if this is structural failure. BP is still normal so that's good.

This whole recovery thing has been much harder to manage than I expected.

That can be common, especially when on metoprolol. During my recovery I got in the habit of taking a deep breath prior to getting up. It is helpful in avoiding the light headedness and I still do it. Recently I saw an article that there are techniques to help as well. Couldn't find the article but for reference, see the Counter Pressure Techniques on this page: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/heart/disorders/syncope

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm actually on only Lasix, baby aspirin and regular Tylenol for medication so I can't blame that.

I'm going to really slow down today and prepare for the long ride home finally after the surgery November 20th.

Lasix is a water tablet, and so can contribute to low blood pressure. Make sure you are drinking enough fluids (a good 3 pints a day apparently) to remain properly hydrated. I had low blood pressure for a long time after surgery (months), and so got into the habit of a two-stage get-out-of-bed (sit on edge for 10 seconds before standing) and being cautious when I got out of a chair too.

And my doc told me with a big grin why it is called Lasix* - because it's effect LASts SIX hours!

(* Lasix is now Furosemide in UK)

Sounds to me like low blood pressure and low hemoglobin, anemia common after ohs with heart lung bypass machine. Low blood pressure is alright, just sit up and let your head get used to getting up before standing. Its nothing to worry about unless you have been up for 10 minutes and pass out walking to the bathroom. For the Anemia, 2 - 325 mg. iron sulfate tabs a day one in morning and one at night taken each with 250 mg vitamin C which helps the iron to absorb into the body. You will start feeling better in about a month. My doctor fee is only $150.00. :)

Yup, same thing used to happen to me right after I returned home from surgery. As others have stated, slow it down a bit, get used to sitting at the edge of the bed or chair for 10 seconds or so, take a breath then stand up slowly. Things will improve over time. Your body is still getting used to the new equipment and healing after such a major surgery.

I got dizzy during the second week after AVR and it was due to low sodium levels due to the diuretic. My GP discovered this with a simple blood test and took me off the diurectic as low sodium levels are not a good thing to have. The other thing to get a test for is haemoglobin levels as many of us have low levels of that after AVR which can also contribute towards light headedness. All the best !

The light-headedness may also be caused by your heart not being healed enough to respond quickly enough to the increased need for pressure as you stand up. A lot of things are compressed inside your body when sitting or kneeling. When you stand, that changes, and more blood volume is needed to fill the system to its required pressure. Maybe your heart is not healed enough yet to respond quickly to changing needs. Be careful, give it a few more days, and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back