Lifting weights

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bean Counter-

I went back to lifting weights 3 months post reop for a aortic valve replacement(redo); Used the hammerstrength equipment for chest, due to the sternum, but graduated to flat bench free weights by month six. I kept reps to 12-15. I left the hospital weighing 160lbs at 5'10" and regained my preoperative weight of 185lbs within 6 months(all muscle). My real struggle is with aerobic fitness. Preop, I was interval training 1 mile segments at a 7 minute pace. I am lucky to be able to complete 800meters now at 9 minute pace. I can hike a 10 mile hike with uphills with only minor difficulty. I suffered from tracheal stenosis after each surgery and have had 3 dialitations for airway clearance, So my problems seem more associated with air intake, then heart function. I used to be able to get my heart rate average to 155 bpm before topping out, but now it rarely goes past 135 before I must backoff and walk only at a brisk pace. Back on the weights subject, I have little to no limitations, except for reducing my intensity somewhat to avoid early fatique. Avoiding anything below 8 reps on any excersize, preferring the 10+ rep range and "giant sets" I am 56 yoa and have been lifting weights for over 40 years. I am climbing Mt. Whitney in Sept from 7,000 ft to summit (14,000 ft). Where there is a will, there is a way!

David Robbins
St Jude 25mm-surgery #1 March 18, 2008
St Jude 23mm-surgery #2 July 21, 2008

Sandpoet, if you are on beta blockers you will struggle to get your heart rate up.
When I started training again after surgery I couldn't get my heart rate over 125 when on beta blockers and I was 41 at the time.
I am now able to get it in the 150's since stopping the beta blockers.

I've been on a beta blocker for 20 years now and at age 62 can push my HR to well over 150. It's a matter of dosage and consistent training. Ask your cardiologist what the correct dosage is for an active, fit person. Maybe he/she has you taking too much.

Latest posts

Back