Lifting Weights

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I used to just about "live" in the gym. Until my dissection that is.

After reading all the posts on this topic, thought I would add my thoughts.

I do not think there is a standard single rule that will fit for us all.
If you are a candidate for dissection or aneurysm, then, the last thing you want to do is place unnessasary strain/pressure on your circulatory system. Talk about being a ticking time bomb!

If you had heart surgery to repair a valve, but the rest of your "plumbing" is OK, then perhaps little or no restrictions are required.

In all cases, if you choose to lift weights, then practice good lifting techniques.
Do not hold you breath. Breathe as normal as possible.
Squats and Leg Presses place the most pressure on your circulatory system.

My aorta is dissected from the aortic valve all the way down to my left knee cap. I have a dacron graft over my arch. The good news.. I am doing well, and it has been 8 years since my emergency surgery.

I had only 7.6 % body fat, weighed 178 and was able to free stand squat 410 lbs. Those days are gone. Besides, being on Beta blockers or any heart med that slows your heart rate down, also means it slows your metabolism down. I can pretty much count on not being quite as slim and trim as I used to be due to that.

For example, I can be on a treadmill walking at a 4 mph pace, and my heart rate will not rise above 88. Woo hooo.. That will sure burn off alot of calories! :rolleyes:

Today, I still workout. I use lighter weights, 50 to 70 lbs max. and I also do alot of cadio, treadmill at a 4 mph walking pace.

I had 2 opinions from 2 of my doctors.
One said, never to lift anything more than 40 lbs the rest of my life. If a friend asks you to help him move furniture, Don't.
The other doctor said, it was OK to lift within "Resonableness" He siad.. you know what I mean, and I am sure that you can tell when you are lifting too much and are straining! Don't do that. Use "Reasonable" weights and high reps.

So, take all the advice in, consult your doctors, and those of us on the board, but in the end.. It is your decision.. Make it a healthy one, and not one driven by vanity.

Anyway,, this has always been a topic close to my heart... no pun intended, because staying fit and working out was such a major part of my life in the past. It took awhile for me to get over myself, if you know what I mean, after my surgery.

All the best to you,
Rob

I remember visiting a cardio many years ago when i was ignorant of issues.

He had pics all around his office of wrestlers, bodybuilders, etc, who saw him for valve issues.

He walked in and caught me looking and said knock off the heavy weight lifting. (i didnt and pretty glad my aorta didnt blow on the bench-no idea at the time I had problems)

I do think the more serious issue is for those with or have had aneurysms.

With that said, I have been working out relatively lightly, because it works so much ebtter than cardio for weight cotnrol.

I guess well see.

I was a competative powerlifter before my surgery. I was concerned that I would loose muscle mass if I could no longer lift heavy weights. I must tell you that after 36 weeks of intense cardiac rehab my muscles are bigger than ever. My biceps have NEVER been bigger. My thies have NEVER been bigger. My chest and shoulders have NEVER been bigger. I am completely convinced that light weight and high repetitions build larger muscles. I'm not talking about 15-20 reps. I'm talking 100-200 reps. bench press, Lat pulls, curls and squats. Start with a weight you can do at least 100 reps and go to complete and utter failure. Add weight as necessary. Do not take more than 1 min. rest between sets. Do this for 3 months. You will be amazed at the results.

200 reps? Do you use like 15 or 20 pounds?

I'm at 2#s with repetition.
I'm considering 5#s. I wonder if I'm being too aggressive.
I think you guys might be stronger than I am.

But I look good.................with my shirt on.........
at a distance.................on a dark night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL!

AaronJ said

Aaron. Do what girls do. Ask for help. Sorry to put it that way, but how do you think 50% of the population manages to get through life? There's no shame in asking for assistance if you can't lift something that is too heavy. Either ask a friend who knows about your condition, or give some college kid $10 to come in and do it. Depending on how bulky the unit is and whether you have to move it around any tight corners, it might take two people to do the job, anyway. You can take the top end of the thing; that's lighter.

I bought a nice hand truck with big wheels and strapped the unit to it... I managed to get it done slowly and deliberately, one step at a time. I feel like an old man, but at least I'm feeling something.

"Do what girls do. Ask for help." I like that comment :) .

When I'm in Costco, I can't get the huge box of wax fireplace logs in my buggy so I open it and start pulling out individual logs until I can wrestle the box into my buggy and then I put the logs back in. But that doesn't work with the huge bird seed sack or the monstrous kitty litter container. So better yet, I put these on a list of the heavier things for my husband to pick up :) .

Regarding the famous person blowing out his valve, there are so many rumors, it's hard to know what to believe. But I heard or read that he "blew it out" on a stationary bike within many hours of implantation. I've also read here definitive comments that he has a tissue valve, and a mechanical valve, and a Ross procedure :confused: .

A hand truck is an excellent idea and always useful.

I was a competative powerlifter before my surgery. I was concerned that I would loose muscle mass if I could no longer lift heavy weights. I must tell you that after 36 weeks of intense cardiac rehab my muscles are bigger than ever. My biceps have NEVER been bigger. My thies have NEVER been bigger. My chest and shoulders have NEVER been bigger. I am completely convinced that light weight and high repetitions build larger muscles. I'm not talking about 15-20 reps. I'm talking 100-200 reps. bench press, Lat pulls, curls and squats. Start with a weight you can do at least 100 reps and go to complete and utter failure. Add weight as necessary. Do not take more than 1 min. rest between sets. Do this for 3 months. You will be amazed at the results.

Dude... I just did 3 sets of about 100 reps of 5lbs and that was way harder than I thought it would be. I actually got to muscle failure. I can tell this will work. Thank you sir! I miss the feeling.

So, I bought a new refrigerator last night... It's just slightly above my 30 pound limit... so yeah, paid a 69 dollar delivery fee. First time I have ever paid for anything to be delivered. Usually I'll just throw it on my back or something. So I'm feeling a little bitter today.

Latest posts

Back