Lifting Weights

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sean L

I had a Dr. appt (cardiologist) yesterday and asked the doctor about weightlifting restrictions. He said once my sternum heals there will be no restrictions. He says I will even be able to lift heavy weights. I told him about what I have read regarding concerns of some doctors that lifting heavy weights is not recommended. I told him that what I read is that the pressure rise from lifting heavy weights has some doctors concerned that it may cause the valve replacement to leak again. My Cardiologist laughed and said that wouldn't happen. He said the only thing to be concerned about is that the sternum heals before lifting any heavy weights.

This appears to be in contrary to what I have read. Anyone else have information on this?

Thanks,

I am 7 weeks post op and visted my Cardio last monday and also asked him about lifting and heart rate restrictions. He called a Surgon friend of his to double check and he said no restrictions once the sternum heals.

Regards

I was told the same thing, heavy weights put excessive pressure on your heart. Im not really sure HOW it puts excessive pressure but I will go with the mob mentality because everyone seems to think heavy weights are out of the question post surgery.

Im 9 weeks post op and my incision is finally about healed up, thats what I've been waiting on before I start any significant chest oriented work. I didn't want my incision to tug and end up oosing again. Im going to give it another week and see how I do initially with pushups and light weights (under 100lbs) on the bench and maybe some flys. My goal is going to be sets of 15 or 20 reps. I doubt I see 225 lbs again on the bench, that was my max working weight pre-op.

I'm very surprised at the responses here. Before I found out about my BAV, I lifted fairly heavy and very often. Before surgery, I was told very light weights, if any at all. Post surgery, I was/am very interested in weight lifting again...not really too heavy, but would be nice to put 225 on the bench again and lift. I was told by my cardio and my surgeon that heavy lifting is not a realistic expectation...stick to light weights. I was pretty bummed with the news. I find it interesting that different surgeons give different advice. Not sure what to go with. I suspect that I'll land somewhere in the middle between really light and moderately heavy...probably something that I can rep 15-18 times. Just my thoughts I guess. I'd rather be a little smaller than I was pre-op and more tone, than to go through OHS sooner than I need to (even though my recovery has been wonderful so far...almost 11 weeks post op).

I wonder if it makes a difference what type of valve is used as the replacement as to what the weight restrictions will be? I had the Ross procedure done. I was told that the heavy weight causes too high of a spike in blood pressure and is not good for the valve.

I'm interested in all the input that we can get on this one.

Lifting

Lifting

Hi Sean,

My surgeon and cardioloist agree with yours...no restrictions after my sternum healed.

I started lifting again this spring...lighter weights with more reps. I'm less concened with building muscle mass; it's more about increasing endurance conditioning for me.

-Philip

Hi again Sean, from Sean

Hi again Sean, from Sean

My understanding is this restriction is for those with dialated aorta. You don't want to increase thoracic pressure because it can put strain on your ascending aorta and may cause aneurysm to form or rupture if a weak dialated aorta exists. How big is your ascending aorta? Mine is 4.0, which is just slightly over high normal range. I am also on lifting restriction now due to this. Sucks cause my muscles are atrophying now.

Thanks everyone for the input. My aorta was just slightly enlarged but surgeon said nothing to worry about. However, due to the many different opinions I will probably concentrate more on getting toned and ripped rather than big.

I guess it doesn't hurt to play it on the safe side and stick to weights I can do around 15 reps with. When I could bench 250lbs I wasn't very defined. I guess it is a small sacrifice to make.

I guess I will concentrate on getting a six pack and work more on my arms in the future.

Sean L

I was a competative powerlifter before my surgery. I was concerned that I would loose muscle mass if I could no longer lift heavy weights. I must tell you that after 36 weeks of intense cardiac rehab my muscles are bigger than ever. My biceps have NEVER been bigger. My thies have NEVER been bigger. My chest and shoulders have NEVER been bigger. I am completely convinced that light weight and high repetitions build larger muscles. I'm not talking about 15-20 reps. I'm talking 100-200 reps. bench press, Lat pulls, curls and squats. Start with a weight you can do at least 100 reps and go to complete and utter failure. Add weight as necessary. Do not take more than 1 min. rest between sets. Do this for 3 months. You will be amazed at the results.

I was a competative powerlifter before my surgery. I was concerned that I would loose muscle mass if I could no longer lift heavy weights. I must tell you that after 36 weeks of intense cardiac rehab my muscles are bigger than ever. My biceps have NEVER been bigger. My thies have NEVER been bigger. My chest and shoulders have NEVER been bigger. I am completely convinced that light weight and high repetitions build larger muscles. I'm not talking about 15-20 reps. I'm talking 100-200 reps. bench press, Lat pulls, curls and squats. Start with a weight you can do at least 100 reps and go to complete and utter failure. Add weight as necessary. Do not take more than 1 min. rest between sets. Do this for 3 months. You will be amazed at the results.

Wow. This is so completely and utterly counter to everything I have ever read or experienced that (no offense meant) I find it very hard to believe. I'd love it if it were so, however...

I lifted for 20 years before my surgery in March. I'm ~30 lbs down from my pre-surgery weight, and let me assure you its almost all muscle mass. I suspect some of the differing opinions people are getting from docs has to do with how much your provider thinks you do in the gym: I'd bet "bigger" guys sometimes get more restrictive advice.

Next winter (when I'm sure my sternum is healed), I'm looking forward to starting the long road back. I don't expect to make it back all the way (I figure my days of benching 400 are behind me), but I'll settle for my XXL shirts fitting again. I had an ascending aorta repair as well, so I think about any kind of Valsalva maneuver now.

My Cardiologist is similar in that he basically refuses to give me restrictions and guidelines for working out. I am more of a runner than a weightlifter, but he has absolutely no problem with my allowing my HR to get into the 170's during a long run. From a weightlifting standpoint, I personally go by the "15 reps" rule, even though he says not to worry about that either.

I have an aneurysm or dilitation of the aorta at 4.5 cm. I just bought nice new rubber coated dumbells before I found out my aorta is compromised. I was just starting to get sweet.

My Cardiologist said no restrictions including weights, but I promise you I'm selling all of my weights. 4.5 centimeters and no restriction of any kind? Somethings weird. At any rate, I'd rather stay alive than stay big.

It makes me really curious why a cardiologist that knows well enough what kind of pressures you're dealing with in weight training wouldn't prohibit it. A plumber knows that pipes are only rated for x amount of pressure...

You have to remember to find out:

1. What does your doctor consider "heavy"?

2. Does your doctor have a realistic idea of the amount of weight active people lift while exercising, competing in sports or doing household chores and yardwork?

3. Does your doctor have a realistic idea of the amount of weight various things in your life weigh?

My physical therapist told me about a doctor at a seminar who said, no kidding, that women with cystocele (fallen bladder) should lift no more than five pounds. He was genuinely surprised when the entire audience responded with, basically, "Huh?" My therapist was the one who stood up and asked, "How did you come to that amount?" He said, "I don't see why a woman over fifty would ever need to lift more than five pounds."

He was SERIOUS. This man, who presumably graduated from medical school -- that's supposed to be for very smart people, right? -- did not know how much children weigh. Or babies. Or groceries. Or luggage. Or a full casserole. In this man's mind, a good percentage of women over fifty should go hide in their bedrooms for the rest of their lives, or become very wealthy so that they can have staff to do everything for them while their muscles atrophy.

If you can find "weightlexia" in gynecology, I'm sure you can find it in cardiology!

"Quote I lifted for 20 years before my surgery in March. I'm ~30 lbs down from my pre-surgery weight, and let me assure you its almost all muscle mass."
Wow. I'm glad you cleared that up. We were all holding our breath hoping it was all muscle mass.

I've been told 50 pounds by the local cardio. The surgeon said he wouldn't want to see me lifting over 85 or so on my upper body.

I need to go read the other thread. I haven't been checking in here as much as I used to.

initially post surgery you should have weight limits.......

After 6months or so my surgeon/cardio still had medium limits....

After 12months they said no hard and fast limits but did give me this rule to follow which seems fair...

"if you can hold a conversation whilst lifting something then that is an acceptable weight to lift)"

"if you are holding your breath and your face is turning purple its probably not a good idea to continue"

I've moved house, lifted plant pots, beds, furniture, tv's and followed this rule and seem fine....even joined the gym, lighter weights, higher reps.

Look at it another way, if you have a leaky hosepipe and you wrap some gaffer tape around it it will usually stop the leak. But if you turn the tap up high and put that hose under excessive pressure you will generally see the leak start up again near the edge of the repair......totally unscientific i know but true....:rolleyes:.....i don't want my hose to leak again...:p

Moderation is the key.

Another cardio license to lift weights

Another cardio license to lift weights

Hello -

After my MV replacement (bovine pericardial so I am off coumadin now), my surgeon, cardio and PCP told me:

month 1 - walk as much as you want but don't drive, run, ride a bike, lift, or otherwise stress or risk trauma to the chest

month 2 - OK to drive and jog a little

month 3 (off coumadin) - OK to bike, run, and left but go easy on chest exercises

month 4 - no restrictions. They said to use common sense and respect my limits. Good advice for anyone.

General training in lifting says to breathe out on the first (strenuous) part of a lift to relieve chest pressure. If you lift until you are bulging and red in the face, you are using bad form whether you've had OHS or not.

John

I was just told in an email from my prospective surgeon that I should not lift more than 40 to 50 pounds. That's actually quite a bit of weight, but not so much that I would strain. I think it's a fair recommendation and I'm going to follow it. It's definitely going to change how I do things though. Like right now I have an AC unit in the basement that probably weighs 80-100 pounds... I don't know how i'll get it upstairs without popping an aorta :D

I found this from an article in the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 2005. This study was entitled "Mechanical deterioration underlies malignant behavior of aneurysmal human ascending aorta".

Aortic distensibility falls to extremely low levels as aortic dimension rises toward 6 cm (3.02 mm Hg?1 for small aortas versus 1.45 mm Hg?1 for aortas larger than 5 cm, P < .05). Aortic wall stress rises to 157.8 kPa for the aneurysmal aorta, compared with 92.5 kPa for normal aortas. For 6-cm aortas at pressures of 200 mm Hg or more, wall stress rises to 857 kPa, nearly exceeding the known maximal tensile strength of human aneurysmal aortic wall. Incremental elastic modulus deteriorates (1.93 ± 0.88 MPa vs 1.18 ± 0.21 MPa, P < .05) in aneurysmal aortas relative to that in normal aortas.

So for those with dilated aortas, heavy weightlifting may not be advised for risk of increasing the rate of growth of the aorta or risk of dissection. For those post-op with Dacron ascending aortas, seems like there will be an ongoing concern of future dilation or dissection in the arch or descending aorta.

Unfortunately, the issue is that some of us have been given the wrong answer by our Cardiologists regarding weightlifting. Even more unfortunately, we just plain don't know who it is. There have been three recommendations that I seem to hear over and over:

1. Do not lift over 50lbs.
2. Lifting weights is OK, just do not "max out". Stay within amounts that you can do 10-15 reps with.
3. No restrictions.

Only one of them is truly correct. Post-surgery, we're just not all that different from each other. I haven't read about anyone post-op blowing out their valve while lifting weights - tissue, mechanical, or repair (doesn't mean it hasn't happened). When I've read the scientific articles about the issue that have been posted on this site, I've never seen any statistics linking future valve issues with weight lifting. The recommendations above clearly range from most cautious to least cautious. I'm at the point where I basically believe it's up to each of us to make our own decisions.

Latest posts

Back