Life changing steps

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Thursday we will be having a fetal echo to check Kyla and Lucas's hearts. Just want to be prepared in case they inherited my heart issues along with my nose or chin. Please pray that we find their hearts are in the right place, facing the right direction, and pumping in the right way. Or barring that, the ability to deal with the news.

Honestly, I'm confident they will be fine. But there's just a little tiny fleck of doubt in the back of my mind saying "What if you have set them up for a lifetime of surgery?" It's dumb, I know. Guess it's just the beginning of my mother's guilt coming out. I come from a long line of women worriers. It's a hard habit to break. :rolleyes:

You've started the life-time of parental worry. Can't be helped and when you add in things that you've had to struggle with, it's no wonder you worry. Your little ones have been in my prayers from the day you joyously announced their impending arrival and will continue to be.

For about the last month or so I've made sure to have my cell phone on me at all times. This morning I forgot to put it in my pocket and I missed a phone call from LD and a text message from my husband. I read the text first. It said "Don't freak. I've already talked to her. Everything is fine. Signs are just pointing to early delivery. She's getting steroids now just in case." Um, WTH?!? How do I NOT worry after a message like that?!? So then I listen to the message from LD and I can't really remember what she said, just that the babies are looking good but could I please call her because there was some new information... Of course, I call her immediately. Yesterday she was having a lot of contractions (or braxton hicks, not sure which). About 4-5 in an hour. I knew this, as I was talking to her through some of them. But they did slow down, so we weren't worried. Today she had an ultrasound scheduled to check on everything. Well, the babies look great, measuring a little ahead even (Lucas is measuring 3.5 lbs and Kyla is 3 lbs). However, LD's cervix is starting to thin and open up at the top. So they gave her a steroid shot and will give her another tomorrow. They are also having her take terbutaline to make her uterus relax. They suggested bed rest as well. However, she has only one more week left of school for the semester (she's in nursing school), so DH and I both told her to finish the semester. We don't want her to lose an entire semester's worth of VERY hard work for just one week. And we know she'll take it as easy as she can in class, and rest completely at home. Once classes are over she'll go on bedrest for the remainder.

I'm encouraged by the fact that many people I've talked to have had this happen (around the same time) and were able to continue to cook the babies for quite some time. But I'm SO afraid of NICU time. I want to be able to hold my babies right away. But I know it is all in God's hands and He knows what is best.

Please pray the babies stay in long enough to be able to come home and not need a stay in the NICU. And if you could add a prayer that they'll be champion breastfeeders, that would be great too!

Absolutely Niki...cooking and breastfeeding prayers on their way...they already sound like they are a good weight...LD is doing an exceptional job at cooking these two precious bundles...

Niki:

My niece went through this last fall with her twins. I've been told that it's fairly common. Still, that doesn't wish away anxieties.

When Holly's girls were born Nov. 2, they were about 3 weeks premature. She had gone on bedrest start in early September. She never complained. Instead, she said that each day of bedrest was one less day in the NICU.

I will keep you, your husband, the babies and LD in my prayers.

I know you're worried sick but if she does deliver early the NICU works miracles. Your babies' weights are really good. My granddaughters were born at 27w 5d - 2lbs, 2lbs 5.5 oz. They celebrated their 1st birthday last week and they are as spunky as can be. Glad to hear they gave her the steroid shots just in case. All of you are in my prayers - here's hoping for a bit more cooking time.

Whew! We had the fetal echo yesterday. Their hearts look good! :D

Also, they checked her cervix and said it looked good to them. No funneling!!! :D I'm feeling MUCH better now.

I'll try to post pics this evening.

Don't worry about their weights, although I know you just want to get them home and cuddle them .. I have 2 nephews and a neice, all from the one brother, who didn't weigh 7 lbs between them at their single births! 1lb11, the second was announced to the grandparents by my brother as a "F***G monster" at 2lb 3 oz, and the third was about 3lb. They are all healthy individuals in their 20s now, and the oldest (and lightest) wears glasses, that's it!

Having said that, the longer LD can cook them, the better for everyone.

Sorry it's been so long since I last updated. Things have been super busy around here getting ready for the babies' arrival. We are now 35 weeks and 6 days and Kyla and Lucas show no signs of coming any time soon! :eek: LD is an amazing woman to hang onto twins this well! School lets out for me tomorrow and on Sunday I plan on going up to stay with her until the babies arrive. I just wish Nathan could come too, but he has to work. Her OB was saying that if they don't come on his own he'd like to induce at 37 weeks (one week away!), but depending on how she's feeling LD said she might push him to 38 weeks. We all agree that the longer they "bake" the better off they'll be. But we also don't want to risk any complications (like uterine rupture).

I will be sure to let you know when the little bundles arrive! Hope you're all doing well. :D (I don't have time to read updates at the moment, have to get ready for work. :p )

Latest posts

Back