Leg okay now

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail in Ca

Well, my incision has decided to heal. I ended the 4th go round with antibiotics last Sunday. I will need to take bleach baths twice a week for 2 more months! I have just started walking my dog again, starting a short distance and will increase daily. It feels good, and I have a red scar.
I bought a long dress to wear to my husband's work Holiday party in SF. I needed to have it covered, not ready to let the world see it.
Glad the weather is colder, so long pants are in order. My INR has remained stable for a few weeks at around 2.3. Now that I'm going to exercise more, I guess I'll keep a closer watch on it. I'm bound to need more warfarin as I do more.
Now I feel that the sun is my enemy, and am not liking that. I used to sit and read in the sun with my dog and cat lounging around me.
Not any more! Sunscreen is my daily friend, now.

Well, my incision has decided to heal. I ended the 4th go round with antibiotics last Sunday. I will need to take bleach baths twice a week for 2 more months! I have just started walking my dog again, starting a short distance and will increase daily. It feels good, and I have a red scar.
I bought a long dress to wear to my husband's work Holiday party in SF. I needed to have it covered, not ready to let the world see it.
Glad the weather is colder, so long pants are in order. My INR has remained stable for a few weeks at around 2.3. Now that I'm going to exercise more, I guess I'll keep a closer watch on it. I'm bound to need more warfarin as I do more.
Now I feel that the sun is my enemy, and am not liking that. I used to sit and read in the sun with my dog and cat lounging around me.
Not any more! Sunscreen is my daily friend, now.

Well that is good news, Gail! I am sure you are looking forward to getting out with your do for some walks. Hopefully in time the scar will fade. Yes, sunscreen is our friend!
Take care,

Last edited:
Great news. Do you think the end game was the antiobiotics, the bleach baths or a combination?

Glad to hear it Gail. Us fair skinned types need to be careful in the sun, especially if there is a risk of Melanoma. I spend entire days outdoor on my kayaks and boat but have to make sure I'm covered with SPF 50.

Thanks for the well wishes.
I think it finally healed due to both keflex max dose and the bleach baths. If I had chosen topical clindamycin I still would've had to take the bleach baths. Also, I stopped covering it so it could dry out, and I can keep an eye on it. The baths helped to stop re-infection I suppose. I'm not sure whether I was re-infecting myself or not. I only used electric shaver twice and did clean the wound with alcohol after each time. Doc thinks it was the shaver and told me to throw it away. Now, I'll use razor and toss it each time until the 2 month bleach bath period is over.
Never in a million years did I think this surgery would require so much healing time! But, I'm happy I can say I'm a cancer survivor!

Funny, "I stopped covering it so it could dry out" that's an old timer's remedy for infection of fingers, toes, etc.

My folklore professor cut the tip off his finger (1975 time frame) and would take off his bandage while teaching "to air it out." He claimed air was good for wounds, promoted healing and cured infection. He said it was a folk concept that he had come across in both whalers of the north atlantic and also whalers in the south pacific. I also believe he did it for shock value, because he told us the boys can whittle and the girls can knit in his class, but not vice versa.

Thanks Protimenow. I only have to do the bleach baths until 1/24/14. (2x's a week). I am walking a lot and find the incision will sting if I walk farther than I'm used to.
I like to show it to my friends so they can gasp! My sister is coming to visit from FL and I know she will be surprised at how big it is.
Well, at least I don't form keloid tissue so it will eventually look okay, like my ohs scar, I hope. My friend suggested using something on it for scars.
Anyone have any experience using one of those products?

Latest posts

Back