Left sided chest pain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundsgirl

Hey gang, I had my surgery Jan.3rd and as of the last two days I have been feeling pain on the right side of my chest, it hurts when I breath, radiates all the way to my armpit. Called doc today and he said that it sounds like the muscles are inflammed. Told me to take my muscle relaxers; pain med.s and heating pad. It is really uncomfortable, I was just wondering if any of you had this kind of pain after surgery. I am right handed, maybe I am trying to do too much; to soon? Other wise I guess all is going well. I have my first follow up appt. with the doc. next Wed., I have to say these are no days in the park for me. I thought I was pretty tough, but.......I don't want to ever sign up for this rodeo again; although I know this valve will not last forever and I'm already worrying myself about having to do this all again in the future.

Hope this finds all of you doing great.

Sorry in title I meant to say right sided chest pain.

Hey Lisa, try to relax and take one step at a time.
I too experience some upper chest pain and saw my doctor, who told me that if you can pin point where the pain is, its more than likely muscle pain, and it will trigger other muscles going down your arm, shoulder and neck.

I'm no doctor. So.............................
when in doubt, get it checked out!

It COULD be muscle pain but it COULD be anything, seems strange for them to just diagnose you over the phone and get you to take more pills.

Stamp your feet and shout a bit and get in much earlier.

If it gets any worse go to hospital.

I too had some muscle pain post surgery and it hit a couple of times in the back and i had to lie down to recover as it hurt real bad....so these things do happen but i guess the old if in doubt check it out rule applies.

You are always smart to call. I experienced right side pain, front and back. I had a good bit of trouble with my right shoulder, upper arm etc. I am pretty sure they stretch and pull and contort us to get the access they want. If it continues, keeping calling your doctors, that's what they are there for.

Nothing wrong with calling the doctor. Anyone who feels what you felt should feel correct in calling their doctor.

You should be aware that you can have muscle spasms in your chest after the surgery, including the intercostals, sometimes in unison. It's basically the same thing as a charlie horse, but without a direct way to appease the muscles again by walking.

I had one a month or so out of surgery that I would have sworn was a heart attack, had I not experienced a couple of minor versions of it before. I couldn't take a full breath for almost ten minutes. It was agonizing, involved my whole left side, and felt like I was in a vise. It didn't seem to matter how I moved, so I wound up trying to stay in the position it hurt least, and waiting for it to pass. It fianlly did. And it never happened like that again.

It's "harmless," but it sure doesn't feel that way at all when it's happening. I don't believe it has to do with exercise and movement directly (although you must be careful about lifting, bending, and swinging heavy doors, like car doors), and there is no question in my mind that movement is a key to earlier recovery, so I wouldn't stop altogether.

But, dang...I know how it feels. Hope this one was your last.

Best wishes,

IF it is truly Muscle Pain, I found that MASSAGE worked Better and Faster than Pain Meds on my Back / Shoulder muscles.

That said, if you are still concerned, going to the Surgeon or your Primary Care Physician for an evaluation is certainly justified.

'AL Capshaw'

One thing i have found post surgery (and you are definately too early to look into this) is that a visit to the chiropractor certainly helps.

When you think that they open you up like a clam to do this work all your ribs and spine are messed about with....i went to a chiro about 10 months post surgery and felt like a million dollars afterwards.

Something to consider later down the line when your initial recovery has completed.

Chest Wall Pain- Me too!

Chest Wall Pain- Me too!

I have been experiencing something similar and have found at least two or three others on the site that have experienced the same.

My inflammation is on the left side and has been going on now for 7months....For me anti inflammitories do help keep the inflammation down, but it keeps coming back. Mostly its a dull ever-present pain. Occasionally its a sharp stabbing pain.

Ive been through every test in the book and the theory from my surgeon, gp, and others...

Sternum Wire Rub - a wire (or wires) in the sternum are rubbing against a nerve which is traveling across the chest and causing the inflammation in other areas.

Dr.'s advice...Take it easy, dont over exert, stay on anti inflammitories, take my pain meds when it gets bad, and if necessary have the wires removed

What i finally did that seems to be helping.....I'm seeing an actupuncturist, chiropractor and massage therapist. I'm about 3 weeks into this program and have had no SHARP pains which is progress. My actupunturist also recommended taking Fish oil supplement as Omega 3's are a natural anti inflammitory (clear it with your doc of course).

Hope that helps. Keep me posted as to what happens with you. This has been the most stressful part of my whole experience - being in pain for a long time is extremely draining and for me the support of talking to others who are going through the same seems to help....

Latest posts

Back