leaking valve just after 7 months

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginian777

it's been just 7 months since ohs doc says he needs to order tee echo my valve is leaking test to be done dec.6th 2012 has anyone had this happen and what came be done plus heart still pounding problems trying to get to sleep

Not the leaking, definitely the pounding. Heart rate has become more normal, but the mechanical is louder than my natural.

Hi virginian,
I my valves have ALWAY leaked after my OHS's but that might be becuase of my strange anatomy,
I've had my aortic valve in just over 18 months, and i found out at my 1 month post op echo it was leaking already; my pulonmary valve replacement i had done (8 weeks ago) was still leaking as soon as i came out of theatre and has deteriorated a lot and is nearly back to where it was pre-op but they are keeping a close eye on me, and i get MOT's every 6 month including an echo,
good luck!
Sarah xxxx

Hi Virginian:

Unfortunately, I also had leaking after just 4 months of valve repair, had another TEE, and had to go in for my second OHS just 8 months after my first--I hope that will not be the case for you as the second one was alot tougher than the first. I find I need to listen to headphones alot when I go to sleep as the ticking is so loud!! Best of luck to you, I am sure all will be well!

Thanks tab9 for reply i go to a veterans hospital and they are so short of drs and nurses its hard to ask enough question not wanting to hog to much time know there is another vet.that needs care also

it's possible they won't know until i do the TEE ECHO on dec 6th hopeful they can treat it with drugs iheard that is almost always the course they take

had TEE test today won't know until speak to my cardo.doc for next step the doc doing the test told me when i asked about what i could and shouldn't do he said don't lift weights didn't think to ask why was still under drugs i guess.but the more i think about it i wish i would have asked whyif any one has any ideals please share them we me.

Hello

I had my repair Jan 30, 2012 and my repair started leaking soon after too. It's moderately leaking now. My cardiologist said that she doesn't know if or when it'll go to severe but somehow she estimates "5-10 years" so I guess she knows something I don't?? Although, I know people who have lived with moderately leaking valves for 20 plus years, I am eating clean and exercising for if the day comes for another open heart surgery..I will be more than prepared :) Best of luck to you

Hello

I had my repair Jan 30, 2012 and my repair started leaking soon after too. It's moderately leaking now. My cardiologist said that she doesn't know if or when it'll go to severe but somehow she estimates "5-10 years" so I guess she knows something I don't?? Although, I know people who have lived with moderately leaking valves for 20 plus years, I am eating clean and exercising for if the day comes for another open heart surgery..I will be more than prepared :) Best of luck to you

If you dont mind me asking, what kind of valve did you get? And could you tell it was leaking? I wondered if it was leaking if you could tell. Sorry for your problems. I have a brother inlaw who has had a leaky valve all of his life and still surgery is not recommended. Good luck to you.

If you dont mind me asking, what kind of valve did you get? And could you tell it was leaking? I wondered if it was leaking if you could tell. Sorry for your problems. I have a brother inlaw who has had a leaky valve all of his life and still surgery is not recommended. Good luck to you.

She had a repair, from the sound of things. Most of us have had, or do have leaky valves. Whether or not we can live with them depends on the severity of the leak, and the prognosis for it. If we can expect it to get worse, surgery might be indicated even if we aren't particularly symptomatic.

My own leak, or regurgitation, was detected about 8 years before I noticed any real change in my abilities. If I was a less active person, I might not have even noticed then. My surgeon was quite clear with me that there was no emergency, but that there was a good chance of my LV returning to normal size if we acted early, rather than waiting until I was in crisis.

Just to add to my above question. I am having surgery on the 7th of Januaury for a BAV. I wondered once I am home whether or not I would be able to tell if the valve was leaking or not. Or if anything was going wrong. I have gone all of my life not knowing till a murmur was heard three months ago that I had this condition. So other than some AFIBS and like post op effects of surgery are there any specific symptoms that indicate actual valve trouble. AGain, hope I am not being too intrusive but was it only after an echo that youtell the valve was leaking.

i had a mechanical valve put in and the only way i knew it waa leaking was one of my cardo.drs order a tee test i have noticed i don;t have the engery i did when i first had the valve replaced.but that might be the cold weather or the stress of knowing it is leaking,and its hard to get a stright answer out of the drs.i have a appointment with my surgeron tuesday the 8th so i will be able to lean more the surgeon is very good at explaining what going on with me.

I asked my cardio how he would know if/when my tissue valve was failing and he said the same signs and symptoms as when my native valve failed. I imagine that means they can hear a murmer, an Echo and TEE would indicate failing valve and cath would confirm.

Latest posts

Back