Laying flat at night

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauratx22

Hi!

I had my mitral valve repair on 01/30/2012 and I've been sleeping on my back ever since. I have always slept on my right side prior to surgery and last night was the first night I started feeling lower back problems and I wanted to know when it's okay to lay on your side at night? I tried on my right for two minutes and felt weird and I kept thinking that I shouldn't be laying on my side. So, when did you lay on your side after surgery.

Thanks!

Laura

Laura,

Usually lying on your back or left side after surgery is tough because of the way the heart is positioned and how it pumps (also gravity) in your chest. As for the right, this seems to be most comfortable for folks right after surgery (was for me). That said, I don't believe it really matters, but just what feels for best to you. It took about 3 months before lying on either side became a non-issue.

Jason

Yes, first go round it took me about 4 weeks, maybe more. But I was really fragile.
Second round,.....probably 2 weeks.

Despite a bit of discomfort, I lay on my side (both left and right) as soon as I got home (5 days after the surgery) and even a bit the last couple of days in the hospital. I simply don't sleep well on my back (in addition to the strain on the back). It caused absolutely no problem as to how everything healed.

Laura,

Usually lying on your back or left side after surgery is tough because of the way the heart is positioned and how it pumps (also gravity) in your chest. As for the right, this seems to be most comfortable for folks right after surgery (was for me). That said, I don't believe it really matters, but just what feels for best to you. It took about 3 months before lying on either side became a non-issue.

Jason

Thats interesting, I think it is pretty common for people to sleep on their back right after heart surgery, either in their bed or a recliner. Some people sleep on their side right away post op, but i think most start on their back.

Laura, you could try different positions, having alot of pillows to prop you on your side or even a smaller one under your lower back might help.

Last edited:
I think most importantly, is to find a position that you are comfortable in and that causes the these least discomfort so that you can get good, quality sleep. Sleep/rest is very important after OHS.

Good luck to you!

I am now 3 weeks post op and I find that sleeping is still an issue. I am a side and stomach sleeper and it is hard to get comfortable on my back. I was even having a few back spasms in the middle of the night. I finally bought a wedge pillow and that seems to help. I also put a pillow under my knees. I can't wait for the day that I can sleep normally!

I have been wondering the same thing. I am 8 weeks post-op and I am just now starting to test it. For whatever reason, laying on a pillow on my left has been more comfortable. However, it starts to hurt after a few minutes. I can't wait to lay on mt stomach...

I found sleeping on my sides to be uncomfortable until about 8 weeks post-op. I got used to sleeping on my back during this time even though I rarely did pre-surgery. I was fortunate to have purchased a Tempurpedic bed just before the surgery, so this helped. I am now back to my sides most of the time, with no problems at 3 months post-op.

I would say its better to avoid anything but back sleep right after surgery, but if that causes you back pain, you have to weigh the pros and cons. I hope you find a comfortable position!

For me, sleeping on my side made my sternum sore until about 12 weeks out from surgery (a few weeks ago). Once I was able to do it a little though, it progressed rapidly and I am now completely comfortable sleeping on my side now.

Dan

Difficulty sleeping is very common for many post op. Insomnia seems to go along with recovery and some of us requested sleeping pills from our doctors for short term use. Sleep is important to healing and I found it was about 4-5 weeks before I really started to sleep reasonably well. It was about 5-6 weeks before I could lay on either side.

I made a nest in my recliner for the first week or two home, before finally moving all the pillows up to the bed. I gradually eased into sleeping on my side, and got a little further every night by rolling my legs over the same way I did when I got out of bed. It was really nice when I progressed from partial side to full side and then using the pillows to achieve a partial stomach sleep. I'm guessing it was around week 6 before I could change position without thinking. I've found that to be a fairly typical time frame for the discomfort to ease from other broken bones.

I laid on my side starting the day after surgery. I ALWAYS sleep on my side and I found no reason to avoid it post-op. BUT in order to do this, I used a bunch of pillows for support of my upper arm and leg so there was very little pressure on my incision. The nurses seemed perfectly intune with positioning me with this support this way. I slept in various positions with no problem. When I got home I continued with some pillows for support and until I felt more comfortable with stressing my incision. Probably 3 weeks out I was done with the extra pillows.

I sleep on my stomach, I have no idea what I'm going to do after surgery. I also am a very heavy sleeper, VERY heavy, and move around alot in my sleep, this also has me concerned. I mean Ill go to sleep facing one way on my bed and wake up complete opposite direction. Anything is possible when I hit my bed, Some say a dog is a mans best friend, I tend to believe a mans bed is.

I guess that friendship will be tested or maybe I'll meet some new ones (couch, recliner)

Don't worry about your positioning, Ovie.
When I awoke from surgery, I had a pile of four drainage tube positioned under my left arm. That pile raised my arm halfway up the bed rail. I had all those tubes on day two but on day three, they removed two and later in the day, one fell out on its own. That left me with still one tube. My nurse asked me if I wanted to sleep on my side they would help me get in position but I was okay on my back. Finally the last tube came out and again they asked if I wanted help getting on my side. So, whatever position your body feels comfortable putting itself will not be dangerous. If you toussle around too much, you will wake from causing yourself pain with your movements. If pain doesn't wake you, then it's fair to think the position is fine and safe.

Before you run out to buy a recliner, be sure you really need it. I had two OHS in four years and both times came home directly to our king bed. I used lots of pillows at first and quickly decreased the number I needed. I was more comfortable in our bed after arranging my pillows than anywhere else. We Have a recliner in our family room so wasn't like I didn't have one available to me.

Best thing you can buy pre-op IMO is a variety of different size pillows. Go to some place like TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Bed Bath & Beyond and you don't need to spend a ton of money. You probably won't want all those pillows very much after the early days of your recovery so don't invest too much in them.

I missed my hospital bed when I got home because it could be adjusted by raising the head and feet. I didn't miss the sweaty rubber mattress though.

Once home I slept propped up on pillows and that was fine. I ventured on to my side after about three weeks, but I also had a new pacemaker to think about. If I really curl myself up on my left side I can feel the pacemaker. That has taken more getting used to than the OHS.

I have always slept on my right side. Always slept on the right side of the bed, too.
However, I discovered while in the hospital that it was no longer uncomfortable to lie on my left side... Had no problems sleeping on either side in the hospital or afterwards. Just had problems sleeping, period, for awhile.

When people talk about pillows, and having lots of them, is that so the can prop them up so it's more like a sitting up laying down or under your knees? or do you sleep on them for a softer surface? I know that's probably one of the dumbest things to even ask, but I'm trying to clarify everything I can and refuse to question it if I don't understand. Still feel like a fool though.

I have always been a stomach sleeper too. After my surgery, I spent about three weeks sleeping in my recliner, then moved to my bed (using a wedge pillow for about a week). Before my surgery, I would fall asleep on my stomach and wake up on my back. Now I fall asleep on my back and wake up before my body/brain decide it's time to reposition itself. I suspect that's a learned behavior from trying to roll over in my sleep when I first went back to my bed (back then it was painful, now not so much).

I'm now about 3 months post surgery and still haven't tried to fall asleep on my stomach (although laying on my stomach is not painful) - I just haven't felt the need to try it.

Latest posts

Back