Laying flat at night

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ovie,

Once I shifted from the recliner to the bed, I used the pillows for support wherever I needed it. If I was sleeping on my back, I used them to create a sloped surface so I didn't have to lie flat. When I was brave enough to try rolling onto my side, I used them as a prop for my arms, since that felt much better than letting my arms drop all the way to the bed. Basically, I rearranged them during the night into whatever configuration made me most comfortable. And I ended up rearranging them several times each night, since my body definitely let me know when I shifted into an uncomfortable position.

I tried to sleep on my side after a week!! Biggg mistake it killed! But i was so uncomfortable on my back (i'd been on total bed rest for 14 days!!) Managed to 'comfortably' sleep on my side about 2/3 months post op,
Sarah xx

I cannot sleep on my back. First night even with the drain tubes in I was able to sleep a little on my left side with a pillow there. I did ask the doctor and he told me I could sleep on my side as long as I did not bring one shoulder past the other shoulder. So, no more than 90 degrees? He said it would casue issues with breast bone healing. When I got home I tried the recliner in livingroom, (had one) but ended up more comfortable in bed able to sleep on my side without pain.

When people talk about pillows, and having lots of them, is that so the can prop them up so it's more like a sitting up laying down or under your knees? or do you sleep on them for a softer surface? I know that's probably one of the dumbest things to even ask, but I'm trying to clarify everything I can and refuse to question it if I don't understand. Still feel like a fool though.

Ovie,
It's a perfectly reasonable question.
My first OHS was an emergency and I had no chance to plan in advance.
When I came home from the hospital, I could not lie flat on our bed with my usual one large pillow. Because I keep a 'stocked house', I had spare pillows and started experimenting to see if I piled more at my head, I would be able to sleep in our bed. It worked. I piled enough pillows that I was laying at about a 30 or more degree angle.... same as I had kept the hospital bed adjusted. I sent DH out for more pillows in different sizes. I kept moving them around as I kept healing, they felt better in one place and then another. I liked having a few on my left side as during my sleep, I kept rolling over onto my left side. The pillows gave a soft buffer and if I lay only half on my side it was comfortable. Sometimes I wanted one under my knees as it gave my sore back/shoulders some relief. Pillows were my best friend for weeks post op.

My hospital didnt give 'heart pillows' at the time so I used a brand new sort of couch throw pillow that was the right firmness for me as a cough pillow and to put between me and the seat belt when I was in the car. Worked perfectly.
If your hospital doesn't provide 'cough pillows", you might want to think about something to use. You don't want something too soft and squishy as it won't give enough support. Something closer to density of foam rubber worked best for me.

Thank you Boston and Jkm for further explaining the pillow thing.

I have a temperpedic pillow I was tho king about bringing, but I think that may be a little too heavy for a cough pillow.

Ovie,
St. Mary's in Rochester will supply you with one of those wonderful heart pillows after your surgery. No need to bring your own.

Thank you Boston and Jkm for further explaining the pillow thing.

I have a temperpedic pillow I was tho king about bringing, but I think that may be a little too heavy for a cough pillow.

I should have added in my 'pillow post' that the nurses at Mass General made me a rolled towel chest hugger to use for coughs. It was very effective (my second surgery) and worked fine.

Your chest is still healing and lying on the back, although is tough, has to be till the healing is at a better point. You will know when it good to be on the side again. I am a stomache/side sleeper and it took me three months post surgery before I was on the stomache/side again. Good luck and you will soon be back to the old routine again. Hugs for today.

Back