Last ever Little League game for Chris...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylchapa

Chris is out on the field right now playing what is most likely his last Little League game ever. He got to play almost 2 seasons before he started feeling poorly again. And now his cardiologist wants him to slow down and has limited his activities significantly. He's allowed to hit and catch and throw but not allowed to run the bases.

184995_1743653324888_1645404320_1647367_7044993_n.jpg

There is probably no way he will play next year even if he is well enough. He would have to move up to the majors and play with the high school boys. His confidence couldn't take it. He's so much smaller and weaker than those big guys. As it is, we had to get a waiver to allow him to stay in AAA this season because he's already 12.

I'm so sad for him. I never thought that when the cardiologist said to make things happen for him now while he's healthy enough, that the time would be so short. I feel like there is so much more out there for him that he is going to miss out on. We squeezed a lot into the last year and a half. But was it really enough?

167114_1670657660042_1645404320_1532833_6343307_n.jpg

He got to go to real Boy Scout summer camp last summer instead of heart camp. He went white water rafting. He went for a hike so long, they had to drop him off at the infirmary on the way back so he could rest. Next morning he wanted to hike again and they had to tell him no. He went rock climbing and built a shelter and almost spent the whole night in it. He got too cold and had to try again in his buddy's back yard a week later to earn his badge.

I guess it's time to concentrate on less strenuous pursuits. Chris loves cooking and Boy Scouts so that is where we will focus. He wants to earn his Eagle Scout award and become a chef. His sister's very prestigious arts high school will be opening a culinary arts program so maybe in a couple of years he will be ready to audition for that as a freshman. We will see.

And if you're still reading, thanks for letting me vent.

Cheryl,
I truly believe that one door never closes that another one doesn't open. I'm confident Chris will delve into other pursuits and look back happily on all the things he has been able to do so far.

You're a wonderful Mom and are already finding activities to transition Chris into. You'll both do great as you focus on the many things he can do rather than the activities he must avoid.

BEST wishes to you both.

I'm sorry to hear this. I know it hurts as the parent.
Hopefully Chris will find many things he loves. I'm glad to hear he enjoys Scouts, Justin really liked scouts too, and during the times he didn't have as much energy, when he was at summer camp he'd work on some of the required badges for Eagle like the Citizen badges, and things like basketweaving and metal etc.

Cheryl,

When I was Chris' age my cardiologist told my parents (without my knowledge) to try and steer me away from baseball and basketball (my 2 favorite sports at the time) to something less physical. When my dad got transferred to NC they bought a house in a neighborhood with a golf course. They joined the club and encouraged me to start playing golf. Well I did and was hooked. I still play as much as possible almost 40 years later. I was even an assistant golf professional for 3 years back in the early 90's. Now I play mostly for fun with my friends but still compete in several amateur tournaments every year. See if you can find a sport similar to this to get Chris interested in. Now days it cool to play golf and more "athletes" choose to play golf. My niece's boyfriend was the star basketball player at their high school and also the best player on their golf team. He was offered scholarships for both sports but chose golf. He plays for the University of Virginia. BTW I did not quit playing basketball (;)) and was a bench warmer for our high school team, but I was the #1 player on our high school golf team my junior and senior year. Our star quarterback was the #1 player on the golf team my sophomore year before he graduated.

When I was 12 years old, they first heard my heart murmur. That was in 1964. I was referred to the Vancouver General Hospital and started to see a cardiologist. They really had no idea what it was so they put me on a very strict limit on what I could do physically. I was not even allowed to run. At all. This went on for about two years. It was a very tough time.

I never got sick and the murmur did not get worse so I was eventually allowed to enjoy sports again. I played baseball, football, joined the wrestling team and walked to school which was about 3 miles each way.

Later i started to ski, hike, play tennis, golf, etc, etc.

What I am saying is that what he is doing right now will not define who he will be in the future. But I do remember how hard it was to watch my school mates run and ride their bikes. It is not going to be easy on him, or his family.

But he is a tough kid and the true measurement of strength is not what we can do physically, it is who we are in our mind and spirit. And it appears that he has those two abundantly.

This game will not be his last. Do not see it as a defeat, see it for what it is. A celebration of life.

Cheryl,

It sounds like Chris has some interests that will fill his time opened by no more LL. It is a blessing that he has such varied interests that will keep him motivated and busy, even as one interest is no longer an option.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_05.21.11_FrnkGrv.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"These are some good times, so take a good look around" __ Trace Adkins __ 'You're Gonna Miss This'

Latest posts

Back