Last day on a desk at the station, back to the road in a cruiser on Monday.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camgough

This is my last day working a desk as a police officer at the station since my surgery July 9, 2010. I came back on light duties in September 2010, and have been since on modified duty at the station. After many ups and downs, cardio appointments, pacemaker setting changes and working out I am ready to get back to full duty. I have had some challenges from work, but it has all worked out. I am a bit nervous, but once I get back into the groove I am sure everything will come back. I have checked here, and on other sites, but am not sure if there has been anyone else return to full police duty after OHS, with a pacemaker. I hope this will be some motivation for others who may be feeling stressed about recovery, that it will happen, and life can return to normal.

Last edited:
Cam,

Congratulation on your return to the streets.

As a fellow public safety official (firefighter) , I completely understand your situation and wanting to get back to work. Your post is an inspiration to me. I have had that fear that I would be medically retired and forced out. But I have worked hard, in a short time, to get back to where I was before the OHS. If all goes well I should be back to full duty status at the end of September, that if my cardio said so. ( fingers are crossed)

Good luck and be safe

Jim

Jim, I am glad that my story may be of some help for you. Keep positive and keep working out! Bina, I assume you live where the OPP police, I am a city officer, so I can't say too much!
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Cam - Don't forget. . . we'll be looking for stories of your continued strong recovery. A lot of us are doing fairly well, but you are an inspiration to even the best of us!

Jim, I am glad that my story may be of some help for you. Keep positive and keep working out! Bina, I assume you live where the OPP police, I am a city officer, so I can't say too much!
Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Right, we don't live in the city so we have OPP service and they have to deal with "anything and everything".

Well so far I have completed 10 x 12hr shifts and everything is going great! I figured I would be a bit apprehensive returning to full duty, and I was for a bit, but now it seems second nature again. I don't often think about the last year much now when I'm at work, I'm too busy. On the second dayshift I had to get right back into it, wrestling a halfnaked, bleeding, mental guy who jumped from a second floor window to fight........definately had the HR up, but it all worked out in the end. Now I see the ER docs and nurses who helped me when I had to go for different reasons, when I bring these types of patients to the hospital, makes it feel I can full circle. My body still is tired after 12 hours, and the nights shifts drag, but I think that is normal for anyone. We're in for a abusy week here with all the students back, wish us luck! Cam

Good for you! I'm glad you are dealing well with being back at your normal job. I'm sure you'll take a little time to get used to those long days. 12 hour shifts?? Good grief! You're doing great if you can handle that!

Cam,

I agree with Laurie, 12 hour shifts on the street, great job. When I worked in law enforcement, I thought 10 hours was a long day. 12 hours, what a guy. It sounds like you are back in the action and loving it. I bet the adrenaline is feeling pretty good again. :thumbup:

Right now, I am biting at the bit. We have dry lighting coming this afternoon, which means a lot of little fires through out the county and we have the whole department on alert. I am stuck in the office watching. :frown2:

Again Cam, You’re an inspiration to me. I can’t wait to post that I have returned.

Keep up the good work and be safe. Watch those mental guys, they can get you too. :thumbup::thumbup:

Jim

Well so far I have completed 10 x 12hr shifts and everything is going great! I figured I would be a bit apprehensive returning to full duty, and I was for a bit, but now it seems second nature again. I don't often think about the last year much now when I'm at work, I'm too busy. On the second dayshift I had to get right back into it, wrestling a halfnaked, bleeding, mental guy who jumped from a second floor window to fight........definately had the HR up, but it all worked out in the end. Now I see the ER docs and nurses who helped me when I had to go for different reasons, when I bring these types of patients to the hospital, makes it feel I can full circle. My body still is tired after 12 hours, and the nights shifts drag, but I think that is normal for anyone. We're in for a abusy week here with all the students back, wish us luck! Cam
Wow.....My 12 hour shifts involve a bed, blanket and pillow. Stay safe and hydrated and rest when you can. :)

Congratulations on making it back to full duty status. I am a firefighter/paramedic that had aortic valve replacement performed in March 2011. I have been working modified status since May and I just got my medical clearance to go back to full duty status. I can definitely appreciate the stress that goes on during that time. There are a lot of questions and doubts that go through your head during recovery. Getting the clearance to go back to full duty status was like having a load of bricks taken off of my shoulders. I pray that you stay healthy and you have great success in your return to duty.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back