Landon update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrappergirl

Hello all
Sorry it has been so long since I gave an update but it has been a busy month. Yesterday was 1 month post op for Landon and several others. As you recall, Landon, age 5, underwent a Ross procedure and received a new porcine Aortic valve. We spent a total of 10 days in Lucile Packard Children's Hospital. Dr. Frank Hanley did the px. Can't say enough good things about the facility, nurses and Dr. Hanley. Just hope he is still there when we have to go back.
So how is he doing. Well the one thing that I didn't post was that they found a yeast growing on his native valve when it was sent to pathology post surgery. A yeast you say, yup. Where did he get that, that is the million dollar question. We have no idea how he contract that little bug or even when. He was 100% assymptomatic prior to surgery which is confounding to the doctors. To treat this, he has to receive 42 days of amphotericin (an anti-fungal) via infusion. He got a PICC line prior to leaving the hospital. We had our first few infusions in the hospital and then continued them at our clinic here. We finally have gotten it set up to where we can do them at home. We are on day 27 of 42. These infusions take around 3.5 to 4 hours to complete. Imagine that for a very active 5 year old. He tolerates them very well and had all the nurses at the infusion center wrapped around his little finger.
Cardaic wise, he is doing great. He had his follow cardiology appt right after we got back. The cardiologist was quite surprised at the yeast finding. All docs have come to the conclusion that this probably created the degradation of the valve. At his appt last year (2007) there was no value issue, just the stenosis. We have another appt after the infusions and then will be on 6 month appts. Everything looked great at his appt. We started back to school on January 5, which was a little scarey but he is doing well. He is on limited recess time as the weather is a little chilly here in Montana. He finds spending time in the office at recess quite boring. Hopefully it is incentive to keep him out of there later in his school years :) He also can't do PE til he gets his picc line out.
So we will see what the future holds after Jan 24 (last infusion). I need to have some discussions with his PCP and the infectious disease boys.
Hope all is going well for everyone.

I am so sorry Landon has this complication. Sure hope he gets to feeling better soon. That has to be hard for a 5 year old. Let us know how he is doing.

I'm glad they were able to pick up the yeast and treating it. I can't imagine having to go somewhere to get the IV's what a pain. Justin was 11 when he had his BE PIC line but we did it every 8 hours. Thank God you can do it at home now, it must make such a difference.

Wow, given the extra complications he has had, it sounds like he is making a great recovery!! I couldn't imagine going back to a job at this stage, so that he is already in school is pretty impressive :)

Hope his recovery continues to go well.

A : )

I truly believe that kids recover much quicker than adults. As far as I could tell, he really had no pain after about 4-5 days. They pretty much quit giving him pain meds when we went into the intermediate ICU. I ask him frequently if his chest hurts or if he has pain and he never has any. Thank God. He is doing really well with the infusions other than they take forever. He actually gets benadryl (10 minutes) then saline (1 hour) a dextrose flush, the amphotericin (1-2 hours), dextrose flush, saline (1 hour) Done!!. The benadryl makes him whiney and tired. Sometimes he pushes thru it other times like tonight, he falls asleep.
I too am thankful that they found this cuz it was probably just a matter of time before he became symptomatic and i don't even want to think about what the out come of that would have been. So we are thankful for what we have been thru and that we were able to be home for Christmas with our sweet little boy and he is overall healthy with a good heart (in more than one way!)
Have a great week everyone.

I truly believe that kids recover much quicker than adults. As far as I could tell, he really had no pain after about 4-5 days. They pretty much quit giving him pain meds when we went into the intermediate ICU. I ask him frequently if his chest hurts or if he has pain and he never has any. Thank God. He is doing really well with the infusions other than they take forever. He actually gets benadryl (10 minutes) then saline (1 hour) a dextrose flush, the amphotericin (1-2 hours), dextrose flush, saline (1 hour) Done!!. The benadryl makes him whiney and tired. Sometimes he pushes thru it other times like tonight, he falls asleep.
I too am thankful that they found this cuz it was probably just a matter of time before he became symptomatic and i don't even want to think about what the out come of that would have been. So we are thankful for what we have been thru and that we were able to be home for Christmas with our sweet little boy and he is overall healthy with a good heart (in more than one way!)
Have a great week everyone.

Glad to see your post,Landon sounds like mom and dad very strong

for all you have endured in last while.

Glad everything is going well,glad you were able be home for christmas

also.

i'm glad to that they found this early with Landon and it's looked after.

I can only see from your discriptions with med's and flushes etc the

consumption to get this done,and Landon for 5 sounds like a great

hero,for all of it .

great to see your post scrappergirl and updates.

zipper2 (DEB)

Scrapper -

I'm confused by the line you wrote: "Landon, age 5, underwent a Ross procedure and received a new porcine Aortic valve."

In the Ross procedure, the patient's Pulmonary Valve is harvested and then used to replace a defective Aortic Valve. Then a tissue valve is used to replace the Pulmonary Valve. SO, I'm wondering if the porcine valve wasn't placed in his Pulmonary positon, OR, did he NOT get a Ross Procedure?

'AL Capshaw'

good catch. He only had the Konno part of the procedure. They didn't want to complicate matters with doing the Ross. So they ended up just leaving his native pulmonary valve in place and put the 21 mm porcine valve in his aortic position. Chalk it up to lack of sleep.

Another update, Landon caught a pretty good viral something that was going around and ended up in the hospital for a coupleof days. Probably more cautionary move on our part but they found that he has a right 'hemidiaphragm". They think the phrentic nerve may have been stretched or nicked during his surgery. They are not sure if it will regain it function or not. So right now it is not moving at all. Hmmmm... one more thing to watch. I haven't done much research on this yet.

Keeping you and Landon in my prayers. Please keep us up to date on his recovery.

Latest posts

Back