lack of power cycling

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doberman

Hi I am a recreational cyclist and usually ride a couple of races every year. My question is that I constantly get dropped on climbs I am 6-1 and 175 lbs so not a small rider. Wondering if it is related to my heart issues or if I am just not working hard enough? maybe the "fatigue" is all in my head as I am worried about over stressing my body…. I visited my cardiologist a while back and didn't think to ask him and I won't see him for a while.. any thoughts

Do you use a heart rate monitor when riding? Could you be taking any meds that affect your performance and abilities?

I'm nowhere near a competitive rider, but earlier this summer we went mountain biking on St. Maartin. About half way up one steep hill, I felt that while I had plenty of "muscle" I had no "wind." I couldn't get my breath, no matter how hard I huffed and puffed. Finally, I had to get off the bike and walk to the peak. Once there, I stopped, caught my breath, and finished the ride in fine shape. When I got back, I talked with my electrophysiologist, complaining that my pacemaker wasn't keeping up with me. She said that it wasn't my pacemaker, as I was naturally pacing most of the time. She laid the blame on my beta blocker, which limited my heart rate to about 140 or so - which apparently wasn't enough to get up the hill at the pace I wanted.

So, long story short, you may be taking meds that have little to no noticeable effect in everyday activities, but which may be limiters like a brick wall under heavy load.

Hi epstns, interesting thought but I take no meds at all. I do have a heart rate monitor I use for my winter training. I am going to use it on my next ride. thanks for the input.

I have just started back cycling and am only 6 weeks removed from the surgery. However, what I have noticed (compared to just prior to the surgery) is that I do have less power on the hills but recover much quicker. I attributed my lack of power to the Beta Blocker I am on that is limiting my HR. It acts almost like a governor and even on a 10 degree hill I peaked at 150 bpm as opposed to 170 plus pre surgery. (I am 62 and have a bovine valve and no other cardio issues). My intent to overcome this lack of power is to start interval training soon. I have location that has some small rollers and what you do is attack those going hard for about 2 min then back off for a like period of time doing sets of those. That will restore power. Get out of the saddle and attack but do it in small bursts. We loss some muscle mass due to the surgery so it has to be restored.

Ron

For the winter if you have a trainer you might try some pyramid intervals. You need a HR Monitor and a watch. It would also help to have a cadence meter on your bike.
Workout: Warm up for 10 min start at low resistance and slow cadence and gradually increase resistance and cadence to what is a mid level for you.

Pyramid Intervals:
Peddle hard at mid high resistance for 1 min (cadence 90 plus) then rest one min.
Work this by adding a min to 2 then 3 with same amount of rest time. The rest is simply spinning at a lower cadence with less resistance. If you have a HR monitor the rest should be equal to a drop of 20 bpm Ion your HR monitor. So if you peak at say 145 during your interval you should spin until the HR is down to 125 before you go to hard again.

You work your way up the ladder then down (1 min,2 min 3 min , 2 min 1 min) then you spin lightly for 3 min at the end. Each of these is a set.

At first you may be only able to do one set but eventually you will do up to 3 sets in an hour workout with rest. After all sets you spin until you cool down then stretch after you are completely finished.

This work out will build speed, stamina and power.

Ron

FWIW, I am a similar size 6'2", 180lbs. Years ago I used to bike with a friend who always beat my up the steep hills, yet I had exercised for years and he had just started. He was huskier than I was so I assumed it was simply a matter of strength/power. I know I had more wind than my friend did.

Latest posts

Back