Lack of fitness or naughty heart

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoMammy

hi

This is my first post. Well I had an account before which I used a little but could not remember the user, e-mail or password so here I am. anyway....

I had my mitral valve replaced in 2006 with a bioprosthetic one. My aortic valve is also calcified. I had been aiming to get more fit but have a little shortness of breathe going up one flight of stairs or even walking less than a block fast. How do I know if it is extreme lack of fitness or my heart. I had my last check-up just over 6 weeks ago and am not due for another until Sept. I am 33 and although am by no means fit I manage to keep up with 2 kids, walk a few blocks here and there and get around. I am not excessively overweight.

I will probably call the doctor anyway, but I was hoping to rule it as fitness by walking more. I am also becoming anxious which I'm sure does not help the SOB

based on your history, I would start with getting a Dr's input.

With that said, I would guess it could just be being our of shape. I think, however, that you could find many people who are in great shape and say they feel shortness of breath by going up one flight of stairs or even walking less than a block fast, without a little warm up first.

Of course, if it will give you peace of mind, certainly call your doctor.
But if you had a check up six weeks ago and didn't report these symptoms, it would seem they are new. Or did you report them to your doctor six weeks ago?

You may want to look at Cardiac rehab program so they can set benchmarks for you to SAFELY work within ....AND WELCOME BACK TO THE FAMILY OF BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN OHS

Seeing her valve surgery was 2006, would she still be eligible for a cardiac rehab program? Would any insurance pay Five years later?

Here all I need is a referal by my cardiologist or GP or nurse practitioner @ the heart function clinic or the one at the implant clinic or my Endocronologist or Nephrologist and the list goes on...it may take a week or two after the referal till I could start back at it but otherwise not a problem as we have a great cardiac program here ......I have taken advantage of the cardiac rehab in 1990 after my MI then in 2003 when I was bothered by angina and SOB then in 2008 and 2009 after my 2007 experiences ....all covered by OHIP our provincial gov't plan

Thank you all for the replies. I called the doctor yesterday and she's moving my stress echo up from September to next week. I feel a heck of a lot better today but I'm glad I'm getting it checked out now.

I moved house last month and have 2 preschoolers to take care of. I think I'm stressed as much as anything else.

I will be sure to ask her about Cardiac Rehab though.

Latest posts

Back