kids and coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RI Mom

Hi all,

I know there aren't a lot of us out there with kids taking coumadin but I've had some mixed messages about activity restrictions and was wanting to hear what others have done. Idrees is 5 months post surgery and is wanting badly to be able to participate in recess and PE again. I asked the Cardio. about it and he said to go ahead but "I wouldn't let him climb too high on the jungle gym in case he falls" Well, I don't know how I could possibly monitor that or ask the school to monitor that. He was able to climb last year and he was on coumadin then too. So, what do others do with regard to restrictions of activity for kids? Thanks for any input.

Kids are kids. Who are you to stop them? They are going to fall, they are going to get cut, they are going to do a lot of things that will scare the begeebers out of you, but they'll be fine.

If Idrees wants to be a monkey high in a tree, see if you can put some head protection on the noggin and let em go.

As far as climbing goes, even if a child that wasn't on Coumadin and fell from a great height, they'd have some real issues too. People need to stop treating people on Coumadin like they are eggshells. We are not.

Members GIJanet and Emma come to mind a Heart-Moms with Kids-on-Coumadin. If they don't reply, try sending them Private Message (PM) or e-mail through VR.com

'AL Capshaw'

I haven't noticed a huge difference in the amount I bleed when I've cut myself etc., and my INR has been hovering around the 3 mark for a while now. If it were my kid, I would let him go do what he wants (within limits, no skydiving without a parachute :D), just make sure he knows to tell you if he ever really bangs his head good, and know what to watch out for as far as head/internal bleeding injuries are concerned. I probably don't need to tell you that the school should know, as they may assume bruising is from some kind of abusive situation, and report it.

Obviously, Brian still does quite a bit, but he doesn't listen to me very much either. I think you have to be careful to not be too overprotective - which is much easier said than done. I think if you would have been comfortable with him on the monkey bars before the coumadin, then he should still be able to do it.

Five Months?

Five Months?

Five months without recess and PE...that's inhumane. Wrap him in bubble wrap and send him out for recess.

On a more serious note...As an educator & former coach, I've seen all sorts of kids adapt to and overcome challenges that were the result of injury or physical limitations. I'm constantly amazed at how resiliant kids are.

I know a student who had sustained a significant head injury play volleyball, basketball, and participate in track. She wore a full coverage helmet when doing warm-ups for volleyball and basketball to avoid injury. When the actual games started she had a partial coverage helmet that looked like a headband. She wore the partial coverage helmet when pole vaulting and high jumping during track season. She was an all conference athlete.

Sure, it's normal to be protective and there are those who sincerely harbor the belief that folks who've had AVR surgery and take coumadin are fragile. I politely disagree.

Yes, if I fall or get hit, I'll bruise...if I cut myself, I'll bleed, but the same kinds of things happened before I started taking coumadin.

-Philip

Latest posts

Back