Just found out I will likely need surgery soon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musica_al

I am a 36 year old female, married with 2 boys (7 & 3). I found out I had a heart murmur when I was in High school but there was nothing to worry about at the time. I found out later that they did report mitral valve prolapse with mild regurgitation at that time. Fast forward to last year. My primary doctor has been listening to my murmur for years and finally suggested I have an echo again. The cardiologist said I had more severe MVP and I would almost certainly need surgery to repair "at some point". We'd monitor every 6-12 months with an echo.

Last week, I went for my echo and check up and he strongly urged me to go to Mayo Clinic in MN (which is only a few hours away from here) for a consultation. My condition hasn't changed since last year but for some reason he seemed to be strongly hinting that I need it now. He is arranging an appointment for me with Dr. Suri for consultation and tests. I admit I was very scared when I first heard about this needing to be done now. I did some online searches and found that Dr. Suri was one of the best so I am lucky there. I found some success stories on the Mayo clinic site. They all made me feel better, though still pretty scared.

I'm pretty sure it will be for the robotic mitral valve repair and not replacement. My heart is otherwise very healthy and I don't really have any symptoms...though I have had some short of breath the last few days but that could be anxiety. When I sit down to think about it, I do have short of breath not constantly but fairly often, I guess. I didn't really think I had any symptoms and have told the doctor that but maybe I've had them for so long and so slowly, it is just 'normal' for me and I don't think about it.

My question is for those who have had the robotic mitral valve repair: How has the valve repair held up through the years? Are your doctors confident that it is 'permanently' repaired or will you need further surgery some day. (Basically how long does a typical repair last?). Most people report going home after a few days. How long before you could resume your regular activities?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone might have.

I can't help answer any of your questions about robotic mitral repair, but I can welcome you to the VR forum. Glad you've joined us, but I wish it were under different circumstances.:smile2:

Hi!
Do you have your echo results at hand? First of all, to start considering surgery, your regurgitation must be SEVERE. The other key factors are symptons, left ventricle ejection fraction and left ventricle end of systolic diameter. Calm down. Anxiety will only led you to feel symptoms that are not heart related, but mimic them well enough!

Hi!
Do you have your echo results at hand? First of all, to start considering surgery, your regurgitation must be SEVERE. The other key factors are symptons, left ventricle ejection fraction and left ventricle end of systolic diameter. Calm down. Anxiety will only led you to feel symptoms that are not heart related, but mimic them well enough!

I don't have the results here but my local cardiologist said it is severe. He talked about some other factors as well but I can't remember what. Other than the valve, my heart is healthy. Also nothing is decided until I visit with Dr. Suri at Mayo and get his opinion.

I had mitral valve repair 21 days ago. Minimally invasive, but not robotic. I had no symptoms either, at least that I was aware of. Can't really help much with life span of repair, but reading on this forum certainly helped me calm down as my surgery date approached. Went home in a week.

When I sit down to think about it, I do have short of breath not constantly but fairly often, I guess. I didn't really think I had any symptoms and have told the doctor that but maybe I've had them for so long and so slowly, it is just 'normal' for me and I don't think about it.

That was me! Strong heart, slowly deteriorating valve. The body simply adapts over time, and unless you have hard measurements, you don't really notice it.

Once you start reading other patient's symptoms and realizing , "Hey! Me, too!" you will start to notice yours more often.

I'm almost 13 weeks post op, and I truly didn't realize how intense my symptoms were until after the surgery.

Welcome to the club that nobody wants to be a part of :) :(

am in this section as it was recommended...just had a call from the surgeon's office and they said to see him monday ...he wants to do it as soon as possible , this is aortic valve ...had the catherization done yesterday and heart looks clean with no clogged arteries but the echogram showed just a pinhole , been like this for awhile and heart murmur but i feel okay...can do lots but can i put it off...i am 73 now and perhaps going in healthy ....other problems at home is husband ill , he had prostate cancer and now has to have a colonoscopy...so lots on my table. am so damn scared.

Latest posts

Back