Just For My Peace of Mind How Much Alcohol Can I Drink Safely???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I know this question has been asked and answered countless times on this forum but I want to hear this updated and live.

I've asked my doctor and his assistant called me back telling me I shouldn't have more than 1 alcoholic drink a day. I'm 9 weeks post op from surgery my medication list is as follows:

Metoprolol 75mg
Low Dose Aspirin 81mg
Lipitor 10mg
Warfarin 5mg/7.5mg

I figured as long as I monitor my INR I could have 2 to 3 drinks safely without any issues. I'm not trying to question my doctors recommendation but I think I was given a generic answer to a very generic question. :biggrin2:

What do ya'll say? :confused2:

Have as many drinks as you want as long as you don't become falling-down drunk. If you can have 2 or 3 drinks and not be falling-down drunk, you should be fine. My hunch is that it's not so much the INR that gets messed up but those who are really drunk can fall and injure themselves.

I don't know about interactions with metoprolol and alcohol. You may consider alternatives to Lipotor (time release niacin is supposed to be as effective).

Part of the answer depends on WHAT you drink. If it's a distilled liquor, your INR probably won't be effected. However, there are factors in red wines that COULD have an impact on your INR.

And, as far as the doctor saying to take only one drink a day -- did they say how BIG a drink it can be? (I'm thinking 32 ounces)

Cheers!!! Eat, DRINK, and Be Merry...... Just be sure to adjust your INR accordingly. Monitor more closely as you continue to get back to being yourself.

Ohhhh... and remember consistancy is the key... Sooo... if you are gonna drink, drink consistantly! :)

The real answer that I do not believe was given is that Alcohol DOES effect your INR. Alcohol has been associated with increased INR test results. Google INR Alcohol for more.

Increased INR when you are falling down drunk can lead to interal bleeding when you fall down drunk.

Latest posts

Back