Just can't get back to par

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you had to wait a full 12 weeks before golf? That is the time they say before the sternum is healed. I really want to get out there and hit a few balls when I feel better but I am not going to chance messing up my sternum.

Again, everyone has their own recovery experience. I'm not athletic, but there are certainly other things that had to be put on hold for me during recovery. I hope I never have to go through this again (unlikely with tissue, I know). Not because it was bad, really, but because it took away a large piece of my normal life. So for ME, I just accepted it as a vacation away from myself. Going to a strange country. Maybe I didn't pick the most fascinating country after all, but I was going to get the most out of it. So I did things that were not in my nature to do and had a learning experience from it all. I really do not look back on my recovery as anything particularly trying.

Some people just cannot wait to jump back on their horse. That is up to them. Should either person use the other person as a personal guide? No. Listen to your own doctors. Listen to your own body. I'm always the one who adds a pinch more this or that when I'm cooking, an extra round of thread to keep the button on, packs an extra sweater I will not use. That's me. Be true to yourself in all this. So much of this is learning about ourselves, isn't it? Learn to listen; that's how I see it.

Hope today is better for you!! Got some great movies lined up? Curl up and watch them! :)

Best wishes.

Marguerite

March 10 must have been a big surgery date, since my mitral repair was also on that day. I feel very far from normal (which for me was kind of hyper, anyway). I started to feel a little better about three days ago, but am still somewhat lightheaded a lot. Also reverted back to an atrial arrythmia - even after the maze procedure (preop was in atrial fib) - which is really disappointing, and am probably going to have an attempted cardioversion next week. Am really having trouble figuring out when I can return to work, because I cannot make any mistakes or use poor judgement at work.
So, you are sounding "normal"?? to me, or at least I hope so, because neither of us feels particularly good. I do get out every day, try to walk, even go to the supermarket and buy fruits and vegetables, for the appetite that I do NOT have.
Good luck,
Terry

I must swing a lot harder than you do! lol
No way would I have been able to swing a driver anywhere close to 8-12 weeks.

That simply won't do, I have set an 8 week maximum for myself before I am back on the course. Actually considering hitting a small par 3 course this weekend, nothing but short iron shots which I have been practicing in the backyard anyways.

Dyna,

Ask your SURGEON about how soon you can play golf.

Remember, the Sternum is only 80% healed at 6 weeks.
It takes 12 weeks to reach 100% and that is the usual time frame
for starting back at playing Golf or Tennis.

You do NOT want to 'tear the healing tissues of your sternum' and end up with a Misaligned Sternum for LIFE!

'AL Capshaw'

I tried swinging a bat slowly last week and it didn't feel o good. I would like to play softball again this year..I have 2 more months so it should be fine...

Thanks for the laugh, although for some odd reason I have this feeling you are semi serious.

When I was getting ready to discharge OT and PT came in and showed me some simple exercises just so I'd keep my legs and arms going....I wanted to laugh because they were just pure goofy.....Oh Lord when I got home and just did two reps of each I thought I was going to die.

Latest posts

Back