Job Interview Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Edmonton

I have done behavior base interviews for hiring new employee's in the past and am not sure how I would react if someone volunteered the fact that they had OHS.

If I was faced with an interview for a new job for myself in the future, how should I handle the fact that I have had heart surgery. Let's say they ask me "Is their any reason why you may not pass a physical?"

I am thinking it maybe time for a career change and am trying to prepare myself.

Interesting question Jeff. I actually had an interview last week for a part-time position and deliberately wore a top that hid my scar so the panel's curiousity would not be piqued (although it would be inappropriate to ask questions in a formal interview situation). I think that unless my cardiologist has indicated there are certain jobs that I couldn't do - or might be risky for other people - that there would be no reason to mention the surgery.
If I was offered this job - and decided to take it - I think I'd wait until all the paperwork was signed and then just let HR and my direct manager know quietly that I'd had this surgery and was recovering well. I'd say that I thought they should know so they could include it on my personnel file. It may even work in our favour as we might be seen as strong, motivated people who are keen to explore new career options.
I think you'd have to ask your doctor about the direct question re a physical. I suppose it would depend on what the job was e.g. you might not get into the Navy SEALS...

One month, almost to the day, after leaving the hospital after OHS(in 1967), I went thru a pre-employment physical at a Fortune 50 company, for a position as a "cost accountant". My sternum stitches were still fresh. I passed. One year later, I transferred to a "marketing position" and the doctor who had done the earlier physical told me that they would not have passed me as a marketing employee. I have always treated giving out info about my valve on a "need to know" basis. If they don't need to know, I don't tell 'em.

Incidently, for over twentyfive years, I took applications for life and health insurance and I always told the applicants to answer my questions fully and truthfully, but don't volunter information that "may" or "may not" be pertinent to the application.

If I was able to do the job for which I was applying with no risk to myself or others, I would not mention my heart health history.
I would not apply for a job that I could not do without risk to myself or someone else.

After I was settled in the new job and feeling comfortable there, I might mention the surgery at some point but not immediately, I don't think.

I would think that more people "drop dead" or require too much time off work for hundreds of reasons other than
the fact that they have had a heart issue successfully repaired.
Answer interview questions with confidence :)

There is no reason to breach the topic at all in an interview in the US, unless there is reason to believe that you may not be able to do the work (in which case, why are you there interviewing?). And unless there is a reason why it might make you unfit for the work, or there is somethign lingering that requires special circumstances for your employment (like no lifting over 10 lbs or handicapped parking place), then there is no reason it should be a part of an interview. The prospective employer is not allowed to ask most health questions, so it's moot if you don't bring it up.

The company physical will require your previous medical records, so their doctor will become fully aware of your surgery. It's not legitimate to hide the surgery from their doctor, and could be cause for later dismissal.

Best wishes,

I am working with The March of Dimes for retraining in conjunction with Service Canada to get me back in the workforce and when answering the question posed by a couple of insurance companies "are you a member of a visible or a person with a disability?" I was told to answer YES as they are looking to fill a ratio guidline.

You should be upfront about your medical condition, especially if you have had blood work done for blood work or if you are diabetic. That way, if something should happen to you, like a diabetic problem, they are aware of what you health statis is. They cannot deny employment for preexisting conditions, of which you have no control over, just to maintain your life. It is called ADA. I did it at my job and am still working to this day. The only problem would be if it was a small company. FLMA is not good in a small company.

Latest posts

Back