Jeanie back home!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeanie

I am back! For those who want technical specs, which I notice many of you add to your signatures, I will try to add those later. I now have a new mechanical aortic valve and a repaired tricuspid valve.

The good news is, I had what surely must be the greatest heart surgeon ever, Dr. Tracy Dorheim, M.D. of the University of Nebraska Med Center. Those of you in medical fields might be more familiar with UNMC as the host system and hospital of the Lied Transplant Center. The Clarkson Hospital I was in is part of UNMC too. Dr. Dorheim not only volunteered for an urgent surgery based on the severity of my problems on a day he normally saw clinic patients rather than doing surgeries, but excelled. I knew I had some serious heart problems, but had no idea just what bad shape I was in, when I appeared in the cardiologist's office. That cardiologist Dr. Leslie Hershkowitz, M.D, recognized immediately I needed help quickly. She had me admitted to the hospital right away.

The good news is, the heart related parts of my hospital stay were brilliantly handled and compared to the rest of the hospital stay, were a piece of cake. The bad news is, some (idiots!) GI Docs convinced the other Doctors that due to a very small amount of GI bleeding I had, that I also really 'should have' a colonoscopy in the week following my heart surgery. Let me just tell you, no one ever should be subjected to that unless they have a life threatening problem, and it was mind boggling how many attacks of Murphy's Law and iatrogenic setbacks were encountered in that part of the stay.

I am so glad to be back home. Thanks to all of you who sent positive vibes and prayers!

Jeanie

Wonderful news. Sounds like you are very lucky you got the attention you needed when you needed it. Wishing you a smooth recovery. :cool:

Jeanie-

Congratulations on your successful operation and getting back home again. Wonderful news.

My guess on the colonoscopy is that they saw something in your blood counts that led them to believe you had a GI tract bleed going on. Plus with a mechanical valve they had to start you on anticoagulants and if you had a GI tract bleed, it would not be a good thing.

So I guess, however uncomfortable, it was necessary to your well being. I know my husband had colonoscopies while hospitalized and it was all because they saw something in the blood count that was off and had to check it out to be safe.

At least you don't have that procedure hanging over your head now. :)

So glad to read that you are back home & everything is behind you now. Sorry that you had to endure a colonoscopy so soon after your heart surgery. I have to agree with you, that was pretty dumb of the drs to subject you to that so soon! :(

But, regardless, all that's in the past, & now you can focus on a brighter & healthier future. Take it easy; don't rush things too much! One day at a time!:)

Back