It's not all about the anesthesia

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtBiker

I had AVR and ascending aorta replacement on June 4. Going in I was a little nervous that I might never wake up but it wasn't that big a concern because what are you going to do about it?

Turns out I woke up which is great! And right after surgery, when I was still heavily affected by the anesthesia, I was violent and the nurses had trouble with me. I have no memory of it.

Then, on the second day post-op I developed AF. They said this is not uncommon and they're confident it will subside as my heart settles down from the trauma it's just undrgone. I'm really hoping this happens b/c I had a tissue valve put in to avoid coumadin.

In the heat of it as I am right now I can say it really is painful for a few days. They're gradually disconnecting me from things and I think the staples may come out of my chest in the next day or two which I'm not looking forward to but what choice do we have?

Good luck to all of us and let's hope for TAVR to be safely used for nearly everyone within six or eight years!

I agree 100% MtBiker! My surgeon told me almost darn near as a guarantee, and I know they can't guarantee anything but taxes and death, that my next valve would be placed that way. I think the surgeons are good at what they do but it is the other things that can be done for patients that would make their overall experience much better. i.e. like if your wake up easily on versed more than most people then they would make an extra effort to keep you comfortable or if they would honor your dietary needs exactly for what you require, etc. it's that kind of stuff that will determine where i go next. I think one woman on my post surgical cardiac floor may have been responsible for burning my esophagus with stomach acid by not getting me a malox or tums or whatever when I was in deep doodoo with stomach acid with my Gerd and I will tell management when I leave.

I had AVR and ascending aorta replacement on June 4. Going in I was a little nervous that I might never wake up but it wasn't that big a concern because what are you going to do about it?

err ... let us know what happens on the other side? ... Noone's managed it yet, so perhaps that's unrealistic to expect...

Turns out I woke up which is great!
it is great! Welcome back!

And right after surgery, when I was still heavily affected by the anesthesia, I was violent and the nurses had trouble with me. I have no memory of it.
there was a big guy in the bed next to me in ICU who was the same. Took an amount of effort to prevent him from hurting himself.

it is the opiates I guess.

Then, on the second day post-op I developed AF. They said this is not uncommon and they're confident it will subside as my heart settles down from the trauma it's just undrgone. I'm really hoping this happens b/c I had a tissue valve put in to avoid coumadin.

it probably will ... but I'm just the wrong guy to support that view. Still there is nothing to discuss after the fact.

In the heat of it as I am right now I can say it really is painful for a few days.

it is, and I hope you can maintain a sense of proportion and scale on this. Its hard when you're in the middle of it, but try to keep thinking things like "well next year ..."

best wishes

Don't be surprised if they prescribe a short-term regimen of Coumadin. Many of the hospitals prescribe warfarin/Coumadin for 3 months following tissue valve implants - just to be sure. It took almost the entire 3 months to finally regulate my INR. As soon as I stabilized, I was taken off the stuff. It is all good.

I'm six days post-op now and they did a cardioversion on me today which set my rhythm and rate right. It immediately felt better. I'll probably be here another three days which is fine with me since I want to feel well on the road to recovery when i go home (the hospital is also 2.5 hrs away).

It's been a very emotional experience but I finally feel on the up side.

I went in very fit and could not believe how weak it has made me. I'm ready to work on that.

Don't be surprised if they prescribe a short-term regimen of Coumadin. Many of the hospitals prescribe warfarin/Coumadin for 3 months following tissue valve implants - just to be sure.

I'm fine with that as long it's not for ever.

I'm having a tissue valve put in tomorrow and the surgeon already told me to expect to be on warafin for at least 2 months.

Mt Biker -- From what I hear on these boards and from a friend who's had AVR, it's always a shock for those who go in strong and fit to wake up as weak as a baby. They expect to feel stronger than most people do immediately post-op, and to recover faster, because they're used to being stronger than most people in their daily lives. But, at least in the first few days, it really doesn't matter. As my very fit, marathon-running friend said, she was shuffling around the ward at the same pace as the 80-year-old lady in the bed next to her the day after her surgery, and it blew her mind!

My friend's father, who's a cardiologist, says this is because the circulation machine they have you hooked up to during the surgery strips a lot of your red blood cells, so you're severely anemic on top of having been violently assaulted with bone saws and knives, and you're not any less likely to have the anemia if you're fit pre-op.

People with higher fitness levels pre-op do tend to bounce back faster once they get home, but it takes them a lot longer to feel as good as they did when they walked into the hospital, because that bar is a lot higher. People who went in with symptoms, feeling like crap, tend to be ecstatic when, 2-3 weeks post-op, they feel markedly better than they did pre-op.

I don't know if any of this helps you, but I'm also pretty fit, and I'm using this information to adjust my expectations for when I have my surgery on August 5.

Carry on, you will be back on that eponymous mountain bike soon!

Heather Anne, Thank you so much for putting the situation into such clear perspective. I hope Mt Biker can see himself in your explanation -- I certainly see myself in there. Yours is the first explanation to put it so simply and clearly. I went into my surgery at age 63 - not as a distance runner but as a happy little "gym rat." I jogged (until the last couple of years), worked out, lifted weights, and did all kinds of things guys my age weren't supposed to enjoy doing. Then came surgery. Not only did I have surgery, but I had a few complications. After surgery I was really crushed. When they wanted me to get up and walk, I couldn't even do that until the next day. I had all sorts of issues with heart rhythm and soon had to have a pacemaker implanted. But do you know what? It is now just over 2 years post-op and I feel better now than I did 2 years before surgery (and I'm older now, too). You've helped me to understand the "big picture" of how I got from where I started to where I am now. Thank you.

Yes, I completely agree - great post Heather Anne!!!

I was running 20-30 miles a week before my surgery - after surgery I shuffled down the hospital hallways (which I completely expected) - but weeks later during my mall-walks (yes, I did mall walks in the heat of July after my recovery) - I swear 80 year old men would pass me with lightning speed!!!

What surprised me the most was when I was cleared to drive, I had a very hard time turning the sterling wheel - (because I was so very careful to not use my arms much in recovery - my muscles had atrophied).

All is normal now though - my advice is to not be in too much of a hurry - you'll get there soon enough MtBiker!

Wishing you a smooth recovery,

Rachel

I was running 20-30 miles a week before my surgery - after surgery I shuffled down the hospital hallways

I was riding up to 150 miles a week and I knew it'd be a while to get back to that but the barely being able to walk was a bit of a shocker. I had a few days with fits of crying just as I was understanding where I was but some great nurses and my wonderful family got me through that.

It's quite an experience and still not over, though getting a bit better each day.

It’s also super common to be emotional after surgery. Glad to hear that you’ve got some great people surrounding you and that you’re feeling a little better every day. Stay positive – you’ll be back on that bike in the future and this will all be a very significant memory!!!

Just an update - I've been home for 11 days now and I'm walking three or four times a day for about one to two miles each day. I also borrowed a friend's Lemond stationary bike and I'm riding that 10 to 20 minutes a day. Sleeping was a problem but I'm starting to get that under control. Overall there's progress, but I'm impatient, though not unrealistic. I have a great community of friends and family who have taken me for walks (like the family dog!) and brought over food and hung out with me. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but I wish I could get there faster! I'm not back at work yet - I run my own business - but we have a great team who are getting along fine without me.

Re: It's not all about the anesthesia

I'm also a cyclist and also rather impatient with this recovery, but everybody keeps telling me just take it as it comes. I am 14 days post surgery and today I walked 5 miles on a rather hilly route. I asked one of my surgeon's nurses this morning how much I can do and how high I can get my heart rate. She said that because of the beta blockers, the heart rate wouldn't get up to what I'm used to, but she said do as much as I want as long as I don't feel dizzy or short of breath. The 5 mile walk made me feel like I really did something today, even though I wasn't on the bike.

Hi

I'm also a cyclist and also rather impatient with this recovery,

so, lets say you fall off your bike ... break open your sternum and get re-admitted ... would you be thinking impatiently then?

but she said do as much as I want as long as I don't feel dizzy or short of breath. The 5 mile walk made me feel like I really did something today, even though I wasn't on the bike

I was told that it was blood pressure not heart rate which was to be avoided. So walking up hills was my gig

Latest posts

Back