Is it possible to get off Metoprolol?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesterday, I finally got a cardio to tell me it was OK to stop taking Metoprolol (1.5 years after mitral valve repair.). She has said, if I feel palpitations or arrhythmias, she will prescribe a calcium blocker, but I'm really hoping I won't need it. Right now I am only on aspirin. Good luck!

I came off it after 8 weeks, had bad night terrors and dizziness but one year on - I'm back to full health. :)

I asked about dropping off my meds while I was in cardio rehab and the Dr. agreed so we tapered things off over a week. Other than one minor bought of high BP I was off all meds other than an 81mg aspirin and a multivitamin daily at about the 3 month mark. I don't go back for an office visit until December so that may change but I'm pretty sure I'll be staying the same as far as meds go.

I have been on it ever since my surgery in 2005. First my dosage was 142.5 mg but was then reduced to 95 mg years ago. I think I had some side effects in the beginning but can't say I have noticed any the last 5 years or so. To thruthful I don't think it has any effect at all on me any more as my heart rate at rest has rosen quite a bit, from 60-70 to 70-90, also in the last 5 years or so. I will probably be on it for the rest of my life since that is common practice for those that have had bad congestive heart failure at the time of surgery.

Inderal LA???

Inderal LA???

Anyone have experience with Inderal LA, or the generic Propanolol? I was recently prescribed 80mg. Inderal LA (got the generic) and cannot bring myself to start taking it. After reading the laundry list of side effects and issues, I am not feeling comfortable. Have ongoing issues with A-fib and tachycardia, much worse with stress. I tried Nadolol 20mg and was a complete zombie and had to stop. It did help my rhythm, but I can't function. I have looked online and all seem to have the ability to cause these type of symptoms. Years ago I was taking plain Inderal (10mg) and tolerated it, but my Cardiologist chose the higher extended release and I'm too scared to take it. Label says you should not stop taking it, taper off if you quit, due to possible serious side effects. There's no way to lower the dose, it's a capsule. Should I get a second opinion, and try the older 10mg Inderal just to see if I can tolerate it? UGH.

Couldn't the 10mg Inderal in some combination be used as a lower dose if for some reason you had to stop the 80mg dose?

I would think so, but not sure he would go along with that. Comm. break down at this point. When I asked if the 80mg was the lowest dose avail he said yes, and when I dropped off the Rx the pharm said there was 60mg. I called the nurse and sent email asking to lower the dose just to see if i could tolerate it, and he apparently said no. Bummer for me, waited to fill it for over a week. Now that I have it, I don't want to start. May have to get a second opinion or just live without it until it is not manageable. :( These guys don't worry about having to stop a med, they expect you to stay on it.

I would think so, but not sure he would go along with that. Comm. break down at this point. When I asked if the 80mg was the lowest dose avail he said yes, and when I dropped off the Rx the pharm said there was 60mg. I called the nurse and sent email asking to lower the dose just to see if i could tolerate it, and he apparently said no. Bummer for me, waited to fill it for over a week. Now that I have it, I don't want to start. May have to get a second opinion or just live without it until it is not manageable. :( These guys don't worry about having to stop a med, they expect you to stay on it.

I don't have any experience with Inderal, but I do have exp with the Beta Blockers - Metoprolol and Bisoprolol. After taking Metoprolol for a few years i really wanted something longer
acting to get through the night. I suffer with SVT and PAC/PVCs, which are worse with anxiety and activity. My cardio refused to cooperate at all and said talk to your GP.
My GP doc was sympathetic and offered me the Bisoprolol but it still took me a year to get up the nerve to try it....I react strongly to meds. But I started out with 1/2 pill and worked my
way up to taking the whole pill, which i now need twice a day along with a tiny dose of Meto in the later afternoon. Finally i have a combo that is working quite decently ( for me ).
Good Luck !

I was told I had to take it for the heart valve and could not get off. I take it twice a day, 25mg. But I'm sure there is something to take if someone is having really bad side effects with it.

I don't have any experience with Inderal, but I do have exp with the Beta Blockers - Metoprolol and Bisoprolol. After taking Metoprolol for a few years i really wanted something longer
acting to get through the night. I suffer with SVT and PAC/PVCs, which are worse with anxiety and activity. My cardio refused to cooperate at all and said talk to your GP.
My GP doc was sympathetic and offered me the Bisoprolol but it still took me a year to get up the nerve to try it....I react strongly to meds. But I started out with 1/2 pill and worked my
way up to taking the whole pill, which i now need twice a day along with a tiny dose of Meto in the later afternoon. Finally i have a combo that is working quite decently ( for me ).
Good Luck !

Thanks Bina,

Nice to hear from you! It's sad that our own intuition is side stepped.
When we know how sensitive our systems are and truly want a drug to succeed, why
wouldn't they do whatever they could to encourage us?? Am going to see my PCP too.
might get a second opinion from another cardio too. It's funny
how I seem to be more concerned with (his) feelings than my own.
What's up with that? Yikes.

I have a very sensitive system too and I respond quicker than other to any kind of medication. I believe doctors now are starting to believe/consider when we complain about a dose that others were comfy with.

With your doctor's approval and if it's effective, he may instruct you when necessary how to use the capsule...you may open it, empty half it's content into a glass and drink it after you dissolve with with some water.

All my doctors agree that I should not worry about the side effects listed on Internet or elsewhere.

Seek another opinion if it will give you peace of mind, or give it a try and keep a journal of how it is affecting you and share it with your doctor.

Good luck.

I have a very sensitive system too and I respond quicker than other to any kind of medication. I believe doctors now are starting to believe/consider when we complain about a dose that others were comfy with.

With your doctor's approval and if it's effective, he may instruct you when necessary how to use the capsule...you may open it, empty half it's content into a glass and drink it after you dissolve with with some water.

All my doctors agree that I should not worry about the side effects listed on Internet or elsewhere.

Seek another opinion if it will give you peace of mind, or give it a try and keep a journal of how it is affecting you and share it with your doctor.

Good luck.

WOW, that's a great idea, unfortunately my Cardio would probably have a heart attack if I suggested it!!!!! LOL. I think the second opinion is in order at this point, but I really like your idea. Too bad you are not my DOC!!!

Lately I have suffered from terrible bloatiness and gas due to Metoprolol. It has been so bad it woke me up in the middle of the night when I was belching in my sleep. I am on 50 mg twice daily. I haven't had any Afibs in about two weeks. I hope I am not condemned to take this stuff for the rest of my life:(

Any of you had any side effects from this drug?

WOW, that's a great idea, unfortunately my Cardio would probably have a heart attack if I suggested it!!!!! LOL. I think the second opinion is in order at this point, but I really like your idea. Too bad you are not my DOC!!!

Optimus, don't suggest! Ask if this is feasible. Some doctors don't like smart patients! Let him suggest it to you. I hope you will find the right doctor who will cooperate better with you.

Cannon4me, my apologies ... I did not mean to interrupt your thread, and I hope you are feeling better.

Keep us posted.

Capsules are not designed to be split for 1/2 doses. You could have a dosage error of 20% with ease. Tablets are easier to split but still hard for some people. Warfarin is designed to be split. It has a score in the middle and is tested for tablet uniformity so both sides have the same dose.

Tom - Some metoprolol tabs are also scored in the middle. My prescription is for one-half of a 50 mg tablet daily (I use the timed-release version, so I only take it once a day). I use a drugstore pill splitter to cut the pills. Maybe there is not a 25 mg tablet of the timed release med - otherwise I don't know why they wouldn't just prescribe a 25 mg instead of half of a 50. My insurance co-pay would be the same.

Latest posts

Back