is it normal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Fecteau

Had avr on Sept 26 first week was okay. Since I have been home a little short of breath,pain in left shoulder blade, wondering if this is ever going to heal. Not sleeping well, worried all the time something is wrong and my body temperature is flucuating. Feeling a little overwhelmed

You are 3 weeks out. Yup, it's pretty normal. But if you are worried, call your cardiologist or surgeon's office.

Work on your breathing exercises. Pain in the back, etc. is pretty normal -you've been carved and stretched on a table for HOURS. Sleep was difficult for weeks for me - I used the pain meds for that for a couple weeks after I didn't need much during the day. Anxiety is normal.
Body temp could be from the drugs, esp. pain meds and anesthesia, Or it could be "something."

When in doubt, check it out. They won't bite you for calling or coming in, if it's nothing, and if it IS something, then you'll be catching it early.

When in doubt, check it out. They won't bite you for calling or coming in, if it's nothing, and if it IS something, then you'll be catching it early.

Yes, you may be perfectly fine, just worried, but I'll second the thought to call your doctor to be sure. For wavering temperature, specifically I know my discharge instructions said to report fever of 101 degrees or higher and/or shaking chills. Sleep will get better, it just takes time. The back pain during the night was definitely the worst for me.

Thanks for the replies went to the doctor and he said all is good. He is doing blood work just to reassure me but he says all my symptoms are normal since you have a major adrenaline rush for a week or so just from making it through the surgery. Then reality sets in and here comes the time to be positive and let your body heal. Thanks again

Randy, it sounds to me like you are fine but you should always talk to your doctor if you are worried.

Perhaps your surgeon and mine went to the same school. Like you, my big sore spot was under my left shoulder blade. Many people have difficulty sleeping so it is hard to do more than suggest possibilities. If you are stressed and anxious, that in itself is enough to cause problems with sleep. The medications you are taking can also prevent sound sleep. If you search for sleep issues, you will find that many of us have experienced changes in our sleep patterns. I've never had a problem going to sleep but since the AVR I wake up around 4:30 am almost every morning before usually going back to sleep.

One thing that can help improve sleep is walking frequently throughout the day. You are now approaching three weeks which is an important milestone because the internal incisions should be healed by then. I found that my my chest incision healed but my drainage holes were slower. At three weeks, hopefully, you will be able to walk more which will help get you back into a more normal routine. During my first three weeks, I found I needed a lot of naps but after that stamina began to return.

Oh, and the body temperature thing! I have yet to hear someone tell me why this happens. When I wake around 04:30, I am also sweating and feeling hot even though the room temperature is lower than at the time I went to bed so there must be some issue with thermal regulation at play. I will say that the sweating has improved but it is still happening to me two years after surgery. My cardiologists says it is pretty normal and nothing to be concerned about. You will find that a lot of our compatriots here in VR share this issue.

Be patient with yourself, Randy, you are just starting your recovery and you are recovering not just from surgery but from all that time you lived with the bad valve. Your body has a lot to adjust to now that blood is flowing more normally from your heart. You will feel better in weeks but you will notice changes for many months.

Larry

Glad you seen the doc. When I seen the doc a few weeks ago he assured me I was going to make a full recovery and that all my little complaints will subside with time. At 3 weeks I wasn't a happy camper but now at 11 weeks most of my early complaints have completely disappeared or have become minimal. Just FYI I still have some nagging rhythm issues and fatigued issues but I'm sure these will all improve as the months go on. I'm telling you this surgery is a pretty big deal and its no wonder why it takes about a year to really start getting yourself self back on track. Till then we celebrate small victories.

Randy, I had AVR on April 19 of this year. I had a "fever" for 2-3 months, and have now twice the number of nightgowns because night sweating means change into a nice, dry one! People told me Forever on this site I would get better (just generally everything) and I never believed it because it took SOOO long!!! But it does happen. I came out of my (major) funk toward my 4th month out. I only started Cardio rehab during my 5th month out-yeah, THAT slow-now I do wish I HAD started earlier, they really act as coaches and everybody's just like you and gets it... Unlike people who have never had this surgery. IT IS A BIG DEAL, they did alot of rearranging and your body knows it. My family looked upon it as some form of outpatient surgery... It's not. You have a whole new life ahead of you. It's a BIG DEAL. I am so grateful, now. Life means so much- and no one can take that away, that special understanding. I put up with alot less junk than I used to. But I'm getting 'way ahead of myself. It gets better. It really does.!! Masterpieces take a while. Michelle

Latest posts

Back