Is it an effect of increased blood flowing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Something I have noticed since my valve replacement. My dreams are more vivid and I also am dreaming more in complete stories. Before the surgery my dreams where patchwork, and much less "clear".

I have also noticed that my sleeping patterns have changed. I am sleeping less, and when I wake up in the middle of the night, it iis easier for me to fall back asleep.

I am also dealing with stress better. And things that bothered me before do not affect me in the same way at all.

I am wondering if it is due to the amount of blood flowing? Is my brain working better, because it is being "fed" better?

The surgeon told me that there was about 1/3 of the blood flow before surgery than should have been.

Any thoughts on this?

Rocky - Many of us seem to have the vivid dreams you describe. I think all of those I've met, myself included, are taking some variant of the drug metoprolol. It is a beta blocker often prescribed after surgery to both control blood pressure and to help regulate heart rhythm. Are you taking this drug? (metoprolol, toprol and several other variants) If so, I would bet that this is the cause of the change in your dream patterns.

As to why you are dealing with stress better, many of us feel that one. We, after such a major event as open-heart surgery, often take the approach of "Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff!"

Enjoy the effects of your experiences. I have both, and they don't bother me.

I, too, have those vivid and involved dreams. And I'm sure it's from the metoprolol. Before my surgery I'd been taking the beta blocker atenolol for quite a few years, and I know that is associated with lessening "social phobia." Since metoprolol is also a beta blocker, I'll bet it does the same thing. I have noticed an "I don't care" feeling quite a bit in the last two months (since surgery and since metoprolol). Also, I sleep a LOT...need several naps a day, plus deep sleep at night. Anyone else have to sleep that much?

I will be glad when I can reduce the amount of metoprolol in order not to be so fatigued. My cardiologist already let me cut the dose to 25 mg once a day, in the evenings, and when I see him again in Sept. I'm hoping he'll let me cut it again. It must be good medicine for the heart since so many of us are prescribed it, but it sure has its side effects!!

(I also take Rythmol 225 mg and Losartan 25mg.)

I am actually enjoying the more vibrant dream experience. And although I am sure a lot of the stress reduction is "dont sweat the small stuff " I also think it is physiological at some level.

I took Metoprolol for about three months, but stopped about two months back. Way to many side effects for me. My doctor moved me over to 2.5 mg's of Bisoprolol. That got rid of the side effects very quickly. At one point, I could not even walk down the hall on my way to bed without hanging onto the walls.

I think I have the drugs and their reactions under control now. The INR is staying much more level. And I am certainly on a significant upswing with my recovery. I now feel "normal" almost always.

I may be the exception to prove the rule. I took Metoprolol before surgery, after surgery, and continuing long term, same dose (25 mg daily) throughout. I had the vivid dreams, but only during about a 2 month period immediately after surgery. Never had the dream issue before or since, so something surgery related seemed to do it for me. I've noticed many posts before about side effects from Metoprolol, guess I'm just lucky.

Also, I sleep a LOT...need several naps a day, plus deep sleep at night. Anyone else have to sleep that much?

I power nap two or three times a day. 20 minutes max, maybe at lunch or 3 or just after supper. I find them to be very good for me to get revitalized. They don't effect my night sleep. I trained myself years ago to power nap well.

If I am tired and have little or no energy and I need to do a task task that will require it, I sometimes do a Caffeine nap.I drink one cup of Iced coffee and then power nap for 20 minutes. The caffeine does not kick in for about 30 minutes so when you wake up, you wake up completely and quickly.

These are skills I learned from being a truck driver who worked shifts.

The key is to not sleep to long, or do it so often that it effects your deep sleep, or believe that it is a replacement for deep sleep. it isn't. It is only a short term solution to being over tired and a way to get you back awake and aware for brief time lines.

Power naps are a way to recover from sleep deficit. And it has served me well for many, many years.

As a matter of fact, I just had one before I wrote this.

Latest posts

Back